Would a NUC make a good ADDC?

I like to run an ADDC as it means I can have a shared user folder across all my devices. I realise its very overkill for a home user but I still like to do it.

Currently I have my Synology NAS running Directory Server which uses SAMBA to emulate ADDC however it randomly stops working pretty consistently (its 2 to 3 times a week). When it stops working my devices all scream at me during login that my home folder is unavailable and then Windows auto creates a new temporary user to compensate. To fix it I have to restart Directory server and logout/login but then Windows doesn't remove the temporary user account and I end up with 10 folders in my users directory. It's starting to get annoying now so I'm looking at either ditching the domain entirely or getting a NUC to run Windows Server on and doing it properly.

Right now there's a great priced NUC on eBay, its got an i3 6100 (not exactly the fastest but then it doesn't need to be) with 16GB of RAM and a 120GB SSD installed. I have the capacity in my switch to hardwire it in and using ADDC on Windows I could still use the NAS as a storage location for my account.

Should be OK, right?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Can the synology run vms, that might be a good option.

But basically any nuc is more than enough to run a DC. I have ran it on a atom with 2gb of ram just fine. 

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Can the synology run vms, that might be a good option.

But basically any nuc is more than enough to run a DC. I have ran it on a atom with 2gb of ram just fine. 

Technically yes, realistically no. Its got a 2 core Celeron J3355.

Thanks, I'll bid on this and hope it doesn't go silly at the end of the Auction. It ends at 8pm.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

2 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Technically yes, realistically no. Its got a 2 core Celeron J3355.

Thanks, I'll bid on this and hope it doesn't go silly at the end of the Auction. It ends at 8pm.

Id try the vm then, it should be more than plenty for a basic dc here.

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id try the vm then, it should be more than plenty for a basic dc here.

I bid £125 and I'm currently winning. If someone out bids me then I'm not increasing it so I'll give a VM a go. I'd have to create a static route between to host & guest in order to allow the server to control devices on my physical network, correct?

2 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

I bid £125 and I'm currently winning. If someone out bids me then I'm not increasing it so I'll give a VM a go. I'd have to create a static route between to host & guest in order to allow the server to control devices on my physical network, correct?

normally there is a l2 bridge between all the vms and the host by default, so no routing is needed.