b550 power supplies

Go to solution Solved by mariushm,

Yeah, like everyone else above says, the 4 pin or 2nd 8 pin eps connector is optional.

The 8 pin EPS connector is good for around 350 watts , a 3950x will maybe get close to 150-200 watts... if you overclock it heavily and/or use AVX and AVX2 maybe you get close to 250-300 watts.

The extra connector helps spread the current over more wires, so you get less losses in the wires, and cooler wires, so it helps to have the extra connector, but it's not a must.

I'm trying to upgrade my system so i can as soon as b550 comes out i can grab Asus strix board and some other stuff   but im not sure if there is a specific layout of power supply I should get because i know i' m gonna need an 8 +4 pin connector for the CPU but i'm not exactly sure if that falls into a power supply category or what ?

Basically i need help picking a power supply that is  600 whats +     is fit for an ATX build and must have a 8 +4 connector for cpu power.

(it doesn't need to be modular and I don't mind ketchup and mustard  cables although preferably i wouldn't have them)

If you can help that would be great because i'm a little lost.  

Thanks in advance 

9 minutes ago, disconnection247 said:

I'm trying to upgrade my system so i can as soon as b550 comes out i can grab Asus strix board and some other stuff   but im not sure if there is a specific layout of power supply I should get because i know i' m gonna need an 8 +4 pin connector for the CPU but i'm not exactly sure if that falls into a power supply category or what ?

Basically i need help picking a power supply that is  600 whats +     is fit for an ATX build and must have a 8 +4 connector for cpu power.

(it doesn't need to be modular and I don't mind ketchup and mustard  cables although preferably i wouldn't have them)

Thanks in advance 

The 4 pin EPS connector is not needed, unless you're running like multiple videocards or whatever in the system (or if you're LN2 overclocking).

What CPU+GPU will you be running in this system? 

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

15 minutes ago, disconnection247 said:

Thanks in advance 

The extra 4-pin isn't needed unless you're overclocking a Ryzen 9 to very high values.

Just get a Corsair CX 550 or SeaSonic S12III 500 and you'll be good to go.

Yeah, like everyone else above says, the 4 pin or 2nd 8 pin eps connector is optional.

The 8 pin EPS connector is good for around 350 watts , a 3950x will maybe get close to 150-200 watts... if you overclock it heavily and/or use AVX and AVX2 maybe you get close to 250-300 watts.

The extra connector helps spread the current over more wires, so you get less losses in the wires, and cooler wires, so it helps to have the extra connector, but it's not a must.

4 hours ago, minibois said:

The 4 pin EPS connector is not needed, unless you're running like multiple videocards or whatever in the system (or if you're LN2 overclocking).

What CPU+GPU will you be running in this system? 

i was only planning to use a 3600 and keep the power supply and board into  new ryzen generations i currently only have a 1050ti but ill upgrade it to a 2060 supper or 5700 soon 

4 hours ago, 5x5 said:

The extra 4-pin isn't needed unless you're overclocking a Ryzen 9 to very high values.

Just get a Corsair CX 550 or SeaSonic S12III 500 and you'll be good to go.

thanks much appreciated 

S12III 500W is very poor quality , not even manufactured by Seasonic. Not recommended.

Get the CX550.

44 minutes ago, Gorilla Warfare said:

S12III 500W is very poor quality , not even manufactured by Seasonic. Not recommended.

Get the CX550.

okay thanks i wont be getting them till probably early June so if there's any others you prefer id love to hear them