FPS drop really low for awhile but then clear up, start to play good for awhile, then drop low again

Kurferix

So i just play a game and then all of the sudden my fps goes from 200 to 20 and then it goes back up again and it is completely normal. So i have noticed that my cpu usage for them game drops down to 20% from 70% and I have tried countless Cpu health checks, pc health checks, and virus and malware checks and it says nothing is wrong. Temps are normal but i believe when it happens the temps drop by 10 degrees Celsius. This has never happened be fore so please help me. Also i have a HP Pavilion 15 Gaming Laptop with a i5-8300h, Gtx 1050ti, and 8gb of SK Hynix 2667MHz RAM.

Do you have any programs running in the background?

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

You could be running out of ram, in my experience with games like minecraft etc where you can set the amount of ram utilisation, when it hit the maximum allocation the whole system will freeze or drop frames for a moment to recover as much memory as it can and then continue until it happens again, usually becoming more frequent over time.

What are the temps youre getting when you see this happen?
What game are you playing?

See if you can download msi afterburner or some sort of tool to monitor cpu usage, temp, power, ram usage, gpu usage, power, gpu memory over time and see whats happening when the drops occur

CPU: i5-4690k @ 4.4 GHz | RAM: 12GB DDR3 1333MHz | GPU: Sapphire Pulse RX 580 4GB 

4 minutes ago, Jumballi said:

Do you have any programs running in the background?

Nope ive looked countless amounts of times

Just now, DakotaWebber said:

You could be running out of ram, in my experience with games like minecraft etc where you can set the amount of ram utilisation, when it hit the maximum allocation the whole system will freeze or drop frames for a moment to recover as much memory as it can and then continue until it happens again, usually becoming more frequent over time.

What are the temps youre getting when you see this happen?
What game are you playing?

See if you can download msi afterburner or some sort of tool to monitor cpu usage, temp, power, ram usage, gpu usage, power, gpu memory over time and see whats happening when the drops occur

Task manager says Gpu is the same and its only the cpu that drops and my temps are around 90 C but then they drop to 80 C

Just now, narrdarr said:

How much ram do you have?

8GB SK Hynix 2667MHz

Just now, narrdarr said:

Probably need more ram

Thats the thing though this has never happened before

2 minutes ago, narrdarr said:

How much ram do you have?

11 minutes ago, Kurferix said:

8gb of SK Hynix 2667MHz RAM.

3 minutes ago, Kurferix said:

Task manager says Gpu is the same and its only the cpu that drops and my temps are around 90 C but then they drop to 80 C

So what is your ram usage doing? It sounds like you need more ram 

around 90c is quite hot, use tempcheck or hw monitor to see if throttling is occuring

CPU: i5-4690k @ 4.4 GHz | RAM: 12GB DDR3 1333MHz | GPU: Sapphire Pulse RX 580 4GB 

1 minute ago, Kurferix said:

8GB SK Hynix 2667MHz

Sorry didnt see your spec up top

4 minutes ago, Kurferix said:

1 minute ago, DakotaWebber said:

around 90c is quite hot, use tempcheck or hw monitor to see if throttling is occuring

90c is 🔥. Agree double check GPU temp. 

3 minutes ago, DakotaWebber said:

This has never happened before and my ram has never been a problem so could it just be dust in my computer or a windows update bug

Just because something hasnt happened before doesnt mean it cant happen at all, there could be dust in your computer causing it to overheat

Windows update bug causing this would be highly unlikely.

We cant really help you more until you help yourself with checking what your whole system is doing, and what game youre playing at what settings etc.

5 minutes ago, DakotaWebber said:

Just because something hasnt happened before doesnt mean it cant happen at all, there could be dust in your computer causing it to overheat

Windows update bug causing this would be highly unlikely.

We cant really help you more until you help yourself with checking what your whole system is doing, and what game youre playing at what settings etc.

It happens on every game i play and i always play on the lowest settings