Is 1440p@240hz HDR possible with DP 1.4a?

Cool Toolbar
Go to solution Solved by Glenwing,

The maximum limit of each interface is in a table on the left hand side of the calculator. The maximum data rate of DP 1.4 is 25.92 Gbit/s. So 8-bit would be possible, 10-bit would be outside the limit.

8-bit + FRC is a 10-bit signal in transmission, so it does use the same bandwidth as a native 10-bit panel would.

The title is the question. Why I'm asking is because Samsung's upcoming Odyssey monitor (G7) can run 1440p resolution at 240hz (HDR 600 supported). I don't want to bother with chroma subsampling because I find it very distracting.

I used Glenwing's calculator and got these results for 8 bit (Can't take 8bit + FRC on this calculator, and 10bit is 30.77 Gbit/s)

Data Rate Required: 24.62 Gbit/s

Video Format:
2560 × 1440 (16∶9 ratio) at 240 Hz
8 bpc (24 bit/px) RGB color
Uncompressed
CVT-R2 timing format

While I'm at it does 8bit + FRC add extra bandwidth to Displayport 1.4 compared to just using 8 bit? I want to know because I'm interested in HDR gaming and don't want to deal with chroma subsampling in the future when graphics card can do 1440p@240hz w/ HDR. 

Kindly regards, Cool Toolbar

The maximum limit of each interface is in a table on the left hand side of the calculator. The maximum data rate of DP 1.4 is 25.92 Gbit/s. So 8-bit would be possible, 10-bit would be outside the limit.

8-bit + FRC is a 10-bit signal in transmission, so it does use the same bandwidth as a native 10-bit panel would.

3 hours ago, Glenwing said:

Hmm ok. I will check the review when the monitor comes out. Otherwise, I can just wait for a refresh/newer version with HDMI 2.1/DP 2.0. 

Thanks!

The actual 10-bit will usually be with 4K though, with lower refresh rate.

4K 240Hz 10-bit HDR will be amazing to eventually see. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |