Need Help Please. Intermittent 100% cpu usage.

Go to solution Solved by GoodEnough,

i know its pretty stupid, but try overclocking your cpu by just .050ghz or by .1ghz

I'm tearing my hair out trying to find out what is going on with my system.😢

Everything was fine up until i upgraded my M.2 to a Samsung NVME evo plus. I fresh installed windows onto the NVME and have no other HD connected.

The problem is i have intermittent times were my PC becomes unresponsive and lags. if i try to open a tab like task manager it will take 10 seconds to open. all commands take a few seconds to register. this issue stays for about 5 mins then goes away and back to normal operation.

The PC is completely unusable during this time.

I have noticed that when this happens, on idle, my cpu in windows task manager will be 100% but in other monitoring programs such as HWmonitor the cpu is only using about 30-40%.

I have reset bios to default with the latest f14 bios and downloaded all drivers from motherboard manufacturer website.

System Specs.

Gigabyte Gaming Aurus 7

Gigabyte 2080 ti gaming OC

1 tb 970 Nvme samsung evo plus

intel i7-8700k stock

16gb ddr4 3000 (xmp1)

corsair hx750i

windows 10 (latest updates)

CPU-1.png

cpu-2.png

cpu3.png

i know its pretty stupid, but try overclocking your cpu by just .050ghz or by .1ghz

6 minutes ago, GoodEnough said:

I'll give it a try. Why do you think this will solve the issue may i ask?

Just now, ManDownUnder said:

I'll give it a try. Why do you think this will solve the issue may i ask?

just a weird hunch is all.

1 minute ago, GoodEnough said:

just a weird hunch is all.

Okay. im a newb when it comes to overclocking. so i just change the multiplier and keep everything on default? if so what am i changing it too?

Get rid of the viruses and malware on your system. That will resolve the issue.

12 minutes ago, ManDownUnder said:

Okay. im a newb when it comes to overclocking. so i just change the multiplier and keep everything on default? if so what am i changing it too?

tour going to want to set the frequency to 4.4ghz, after you do that run a full system scan with windows defender just in case.

21 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Get rid of the viruses and malware on your system. That will resolve the issue.

I wish it was that simple. keep in mind, this started with a fresh install of windows on a new NVME no other HD connected.

12 minutes ago, GoodEnough said:

tour going to want to set the frequency to 4.4ghz, after you do that run a full system scan with windows defender just in case.

Okay i overclocked to 4.7 on all cores. I noticed that the voltages VID #1-5 are bouncing all over the place not sure if thats normal or not.

2 minutes ago, ManDownUnder said:

I wish it was that simple. keep in mind, this started with a fresh install of windows on a new NVME no other HD connected.

Okay i overclocked to 4.7 on all cores. I noticed that the voltages VID #1-5 are bouncing all over the place not sure if thats normal or not.

if your going to oc to 4.7 make sure to keep an eye on temps, but you should be fine, voltage is the only thing that really affects temp

1 minute ago, GoodEnough said:

if your going to oc to 4.7 make sure to keep an eye on temps, but you should be fine, voltage is the only thing that really affects temp

8th gen uses paste. He has to be very careful. Even 100MHz can raise temps by quite a bit.

Just now, 5x5 said:

8th gen uses paste. He has to be very careful. Even 100MHz can raise temps by quite a bit.

i honestly have 0 expirence with overclocking when it comes to intel processors, all i have to go by is common sense

8 minutes ago, GoodEnough said:

@4.7 all cores max temp is 73-77 c under load in 3d mark test

Also windows defender all clear.

CPU 4 OC.png

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/30/2020 at 10:27 PM, GoodEnough said:

This worked i don't know why. thanks