surface book not using gpu got firefox youtube

Jstagzsr

i bought a surface book and finally got it in the mail this morning so im still figuring everything out with it.. When im on firefox (havent tried other browsers) and i try to 4k youtube videos (yes i know the screen is 3000x2000, not 3840x2160... close enough) the videos will play for a few secinds then stutter and skip for a half a second like its buffering.. but i have 170 mbps internet and a high speed wifi router.. none of my other pc's do this.. so i figured it might be the nvidia gpu.. so i open up the windows game bar (pictured) to see what was going on and thats when i realized the gpu isnt doing ANYTHING while the cpu is bumped up to 100% use.... how do i set my gpu settings to use the nvidia gpu 100% of the time when my tablet portion is docked to the base? obviously i am forced to use integrated graphics while im in tablet mode, but why have the gpu there if i cant use it?? In the nvidia display settings (pictured) i have it set to prefer the nvidia gpu.. i also went into the other tab and manually set firefox to prefer the nvidia gpu.. still the cpu is at 100% and the gpu is at 0-3%..

any help would be appreciated.. Having this gorgeous screen but not being able to play a simple 4k youtube video is ridiculous.

Screenshot_(2).png

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

2 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

it definitely recognizes it because its in the "device manager" list. But ill check out that second link right meow! thank you!

Just now, Jstagzsr said:

it definitely recognizes it because its in the "device manager" list. But ill check out that second link right meow! thank you!

You're welcome, unfortunately my experience with the Surface Book is limited so all I can offer is outside source links.

I am not familiar with how MS is linking the DGPU.

A third option is you can look into is any Firmware updates that may be out, if you just bought that you should investigate it.

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1 minute ago, SansVarnic said:

You're welcome, unfortunately my experience with the Surface Book is limited so all I can offer is outside source links.

I am not familiar with how MS is linking the DGPU.

A third option is you can look into is any Firmware updates that may be out, if you just bought that you should investigate it.

the thing it said to do was what i already did.. its still not using the nvidia gpu even when its directly told to

3 minutes ago, Jstagzsr said:

the thing it said to do was what i already did.. its still not using the nvidia gpu even when its directly told to

Sorry to see that... did try the firmware updates?

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

38 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Sorry to see that... did try the firmware updates?

it is fully up to date. nota  single windows update update, nota single third party update, etc..

but i fixed it somehow anyway... Apparently theres an emergency release built in.. you can stick a paperclip in the 6th hole of the vent on the right side and you can feel the release engaging.. So i tried it once, couldnt get leverage so i picked it up with the bent spring in the hole (couldnt find a paperclip).. i must have hit something in there i shouldnt have because i heard a spark and the computer died immediately.. then wouldnt turn on.. so as i was yelling "no, no, no, no, no" and pressing the power button over and over it turned itself back on.. then it started informing me WHY it couldnt detach.. it was because of a program called something along the lines of "startMenusomethingsomething".. nothing in the running programs and services list was named that but there was a "starMenueDX".. so i force closed that and the computer automatically disengaged the screen like it should have.. and now when i put the screen back and press the button it works perfectly fine.. even with the "StartMenueDX" auto runing itself back on.

all i care about at this moment is the fact that i did NOT ruin my few hour old 4 thousand dollar laptop with a bent spring by jamming it in random holes.... But the fact it now detaches like it should is a huge plus!!! lol

That’s strange. I’ve never used a Surface Book, and know almost nothing about them, but it’s probably a software issue.