ram or ssd

i currently have 1 ram 8 GB and no ssd what do i need to buy?

Just now, kesbruggeman said:

If the machine is for basic tasks like web-browsing, email, and YouTube, I would go for a good SSD first. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

1 minute ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

If the machine is for basic tasks like web-browsing, email, and YouTube, I would go for a good SSD first. 

i want to game too

What's your location and budget?

Neither of those are likely to be bank-breakers, so you could probably do both.

1 minute ago, fordy_rounds said:

What's your location and budget?

Neither of those are likely to be bank-breakers, so you could probably do both.

i live in the netherlands and i dont know how expensive pc parts are

Just now, goldmunds_the_dealhunter said:

I mean, you are ok IMHO with 8 gigs of ram, i'd go for the ssd

whats IMHO

Just now, goldmunds_the_dealhunter said:

in my humble opinion

what is the diffrence between ssd and hdd i saw ssd and i think its good

3 minutes ago, kesbruggeman said:

i live in the netherlands and i dont know how expensive pc parts are

Ok. Assuming it's DDR4, another 8GB stick of RAM is approximately 40-60 euros (though it can be higher for the really fancy stuff). If you do RAM, I'd recommend finding the same brand and speed as what you currently have (to make it a matching set), or spending a little more to just get a matching set and completely replace your current stick.

A 500GB SSD starts at 73 euros, though you might want to spend a little more than that for better quality. (You could also do a smaller SSD, though I don't recommend going smaller than 250GB.)

I recommend using nl.pcpartpicker.com to help familiarize yourself with how much parts will cost and what fits your budget.

9 minutes ago, kesbruggeman said:

Eight-GB of RAM is sufficient for most users, although the main bottleneck would be the limited bandwidth of having single channel memory.

1 minute ago, kesbruggeman said:

what is the diffrence between ssd and hdd i saw ssd and i think its good

SSDs don't have any moving parts requiring less energy and usually have much quicker read/write speeds, they also have significantly better longevity if you are reading more and writing less and if they are kept cool, although modern SLC NAND flash-based SSDs can endure 100,000+ write cycles. What SSD are you planning to get?

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

imho = in my humble opinion

If you have a single stick of 8 GB memory, then adding a second stick will increase the performance of applications and games.

A SSD will speed up the loading of the operating system and loading game levels. Once a game level is loaded, SSD won't help much.

The RAM however helps throughout, while a game runs. The game will load slower, but the game will hold more stuff in ram so it will need to access the hard drive less often

So both are beneficial for you.

For SSD, you'd want to go with at least 240 GB , because 120 GB drives will typically have reduced performance and they're barely enough for an operating system.

They'll cost around 45-50 euro ... for a cheap and good SATA SSD, here's some examples :

Western Digital Green 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (WDS240G2G0A) - PCPartPicker

Gigabyte UD PRO 256 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (GP-GSTFS30256GTTD) - PCPartPicker

Western Digital Blue 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (WDS250G2B0A) - PCPartPicker

m.2 format :

Western Digital Green 240 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (WDS240G2G0B) - PCPartPicker

Western Digital Blue 250 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (WDS250G2B0B) - PCPartPicker

WD Blue is very good value for the money.

A stick of 8 GB DDR4 will cost you from around 40 euro and up : https://nl.pcpartpicker.com/products/memory/#Z=8192001&U=4&S=3000,5000&sort=price&page=1

You'll want to match the frequency and type (assume it's ddr4 but maybe you have older system with ddr3)

12 minutes ago, kesbruggeman said:

i want to game too

Well what are the specs for the rest of your rig? If you want to game, it's much more than a question of RAM or SSD. If your GPU or CPU isn't up to snuff, no amount of RAM or PCIe SSDs are gonna help you. Unless you're planning to use a streaming service like Google Stadia or Nvidia Now. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

3 minutes ago, goldmunds_the_dealhunter said:

SSD is 10x faster than hdd

This is not true in all cases, I have seen some pretty bad SSDs that are slower than HDDs or almost the same speed, this depends more so on the rated write and read speeds of the specific model of SSD that you are comparing with a certain HDD.

Although, most of the times an SSD would offer higher speeds for reading at least which is important for loading applications/games and your operating system.

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

sorry i was wrong it says i only have 4 gb ram and i have a 3000g cpu

Then definitely add at least a 4 GB stick, but try to get a 8 GB stick. 

3000g and AMD processors in general like higher frequencies, so try to at least match the frequency of your current stick... ideally you'd go with 3000 Mhz or 3200 Mhz ram

You can have two mismatched sticks , one 4 GB and one 8 GB... it will work.

Can you post you whole system specs and how many budget you have for this upgrade?

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

specs 4 gb ram MSI A320M PRO-E motherboard 3000g cpu 1 tb hdd

The integrated graphics needs to use a portion of your ram for its own memory, at least 256-512 MB of that, so your applications and games have even less than 4 GB of memory to work with.

Definitely buy a 4 GB or 8 GB stick of memory first.

Then, you can go for an SSD and move the operating system (reinstall Windows) on the SSD and maybe a couple of the most often played games.

IF you get a SSD first, yes, your Windows will load much faster and whatever game you have on SSD will load much faster (start and load levels) but the performance in games will be less than normal for a couple of reasons : 1) the game has to share the ram with the video card and there's too little amount of ram in total  and 2) you're using a single stick which means memory runs in single channel mode, and the integrated graphics LOVES bandwidth so it will love you if you install a second stick that will DOUBLE the bandwidth as you'll have the memory working in dual channel mode.

So in your particular case the first upgrade should be more ram.  Ideally a stick of 8 GB, to have a total of 12 GB.  Even more ideal would be to buy 2 sticks of 8 GB and sell your current 4 GB stick, but if your budget is tight, just buy a single 8 GB stick. If your budget is  super tight, then go for 4 GB... but really try hard to get a 8 GB stick.

Then you can go in BIOS and raise the memory reserved for video cards to 1 GB or 2 GB ... in real world it shouldn't make much of a difference but in practice in some games there's tiny differences for the better.

4 minutes ago, mariushm said:

The integrated graphics needs to use a portion of your ram for its own memory, at least 256-512 MB of that, so your applications and games have even less than 4 GB of memory to work with.

Definitely buy a 4 GB or 8 GB stick of memory first.

Then, you can go for an SSD and move the operating system (reinstall Windows) on the SSD and maybe a couple of the most often played games.

IF you get a SSD first, yes, your Windows will load much faster and whatever game you have on SSD will load much faster (start and load levels) but the performance in games will be less than normal for a couple of reasons : 1) the game has to share the ram with the video card and there's too little amount of ram in total  and 2) you're using a single stick which means memory runs in single channel mode, and the integrated graphics LOVES bandwidth so it will love you if you install a second stick that will DOUBLE the bandwidth as you'll have the memory working in dual channel mode.

So in your particular case the first upgrade should be more ram.  Ideally a stick of 8 GB, to have a total of 12 GB.  Even more ideal would be to buy 2 sticks of 8 GB and sell your current 4 GB stick, but if your budget is tight, just buy a single 8 GB stick. If your budget is  super tight, then go for 4 GB... but really try hard to get a 8 GB stick.

Then you can go in BIOS and raise the memory reserved for video cards to 1 GB or 2 GB ... in real world it shouldn't make much of a difference but in practice in some games there's tiny differences for the better.

I lost my windows xp cd oops my son logged in on my pc he made an other account for me

My son cant come to me and i dont know stuff like bios of that stuff

1 minute ago, kes2006 said:

I lost my windows xp cd

Windows XP won't work with 3000g 

Windows 7 will work with difficulty.

Windows 10, you can legally download directly from Microsoft and burn a DVD or put it on a usb stick. You can install Windows 10 without a key and run it for 30 days without activating it.

Also, if you activated Windows before the key may be tied to your motherboard so it will continue to work after a reinstall.

But anyway, you can actually transfer Windows from your hard drive to your SSD, using software that clones drives.

See for example Macrium Reflect, there's a free version of that software you can download.

You may have to delete some games or free up enough disk space until the total disk space used on the hard drive is less than the size of your new SSD. Then, the software will "clone" the contents of the hard drive into the SSD and you just change the boot order from bios to boot from SSD instead of hard drive.

1 minute ago, kesbruggeman said:

My son cant come to me and i dont know stuff like bios of that stuff

Then start with the easy stuff, the memory. 

You just have to buy the memory stick and insert it in the socket ( it only goes one way, it has a notch to prevent you from inserting it the wrong way) and it will be automatically detected and work.

1 minute ago, mariushm said:

Then start with the easy stuff, the memory. 

You just have to buy the memory stick and insert it in the socket ( it only goes one way, it has a notch to prevent you from inserting it the wrong way) and it will be automatically detected and work.

The ram i have is 4 gb 2400 from corsair is says lpx on it