Funny Microsoft vs Apple ad

_Obi_Wan_Kenobi_

Would say it outright lies at certain points. To be funny the points would have to be accurate or matter. Like the old I'm a Mac ads.

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

Yeah, even though Apple's old "I'm A Mac" ads sometimes stretched the truth, they never really broke it the way this does.  Even Samsung's ads were true in some way (though they were hurt by sometimes making fun of the users, not the product).

1 hour ago, Commodus said:

Yeah, even though Apple's old "I'm A Mac" ads sometimes stretched the truth, they never really broke it the way this does.  Even Samsung's ads were true in some way (though they were hurt by sometimes making fun of the users, not the product).

Most ads distort the truth or manipulate it in some way, it's to be expected but this is a little too far. 

Alright, let's break this down.

Macbook has bettery battery life.

Depending on the config, they can have equal performance or the Macbook can be faster.

Who needs a touchscreen on anything but a tablet or 2-in-1?

Both are limited, overpriced, and have mediocre OSes. I'd get neither.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

6 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Alright, let's break this down.

Macbook has bettery battery life.

Depending on the config, they can have equal performance or the Macbook can be faster.

Who needs a touchscreen on anything but a tablet or 2-in-1?

Both are limited, overpriced, and have mediocre OSes. I'd get neither.

You'd call MacOS, Windows and Linux limited? What other OS is there?!

3 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

You'd call MacOS, Windows and Linux limited? What other OS is there?!

When did I say Linux was limited? Hell, when did I say the OSes were the limiting things?

Neither comes installed with Linux. The upgradability and repairability (or lack thereof) and IO are both very limiting.

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

3 hours ago, Benji said:

And since basically nobody uses an ultrabook to do serious work (video editing and the like) anyway

I do. I know plenty of people who do.

Please tag me @Windows9 so I can see your reply

3 hours ago, Benji said:

Performance? All laptops with ULV CPUs in the past years basically feel the same in terms of performance.

Nah, I can feel the difference between a core i3 and a core i9

1 minute ago, Benji said:

an ultrabook probably never came with an Intel Core i9

fine, ryzen 7 3500u

25 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

When did I say Linux was limited? Hell, when did I say the OSes were the limiting things?

Neither comes installed with Linux. The upgradability and repairability (or lack thereof) and IO are both very limiting.

You can install all three on a Mac 

Just now, Lord Vile said:

You can install all three on a Mac 

You can install all three on a Windows laptop. Not sure where you're going with this. If we're purely looking at them out of the box, they have mediocre OSes (imo), and no amount of changing the OS is going to add a usable amount of IO or allow you to easily replace the RAM when it fails or you need more in the future.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

8 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

You can install all three on a Windows laptop. Not sure where you're going with this. If we're purely looking at them out of the box, they have mediocre OSes (imo), and no amount of changing the OS is going to add a usable amount of IO or allow you to easily replace the RAM when it fails or you need more in the future.

Um no laptop has Linux out of box 

The MacBook has the most expandable IO you can get, you can transform it into literally anything you want. 

how often does RAM at stock fail, r

really? 

1 minute ago, Lord Vile said:

The MacBook has the most expandable IO you can get, you can transform it into literally anything you want. 

really? 

There are a bunch of laptops that ship with Linux, including Dell XPS and Latitude models as well as some niche manufacturers.

Also, please don't be too forgiving of Apple/s IO.  USB-C is very flexible, but the fact is that it's a pain to plug in a dongle just to read an SD card.

3 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

Wrong. System76 has some, and even Dell is starting to ship laptops with an option of Ubuntu from the factory.

4 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

Yes, but you need a shitload of dongles that all cost a few dozen dollars. Adds up fairly quick on top of an already expensive machine. My 12" Thinkpad has all the IO I could possibly want and if I wanted more, I just get a $30 dock and can hook up four monitors, tons of USB, etc etc.

4 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

really? 

It happens. And even if it doesn't fail, it might need to be upgraded in the future. Same goes for storage.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

1 minute ago, Commodus said:

There are a bunch of laptops that ship with Linux, including Dell XPS and Latitude models as well as some niche manufacturers.

Also, please don't be too forgiving of Apple/s IO.  USB-C is very flexible, but the fact is that it's a pain to plug in a dongle just to read an SD card.

Thunderbolt 3 not USBC, very different 

Just now, Lord Vile said:

Thunderbolt 3 not USBC, very different 

They're Thunderbolt 3 ports, but my point stands unchanged: you still need dongles for a lot of things.  I love Mac laptops, but I'm not going to pretend that going all-TB3 isn't a pain unless you live in a world where every device you own has a native TB3 or USB-C cable.

9 minutes ago, Commodus said:

They're Thunderbolt 3 ports, but my point stands unchanged: you still need dongles for a lot of things.  I love Mac laptops, but I'm not going to pretend that going all-TB3 isn't a pain unless you live in a world where every device you own has a native TB3 or USB-C cable.

You literally need one dongle that will do more than most laptops have in IO and it will fit into a bag. It also provides non-proprietary charging so you don't ned to take around a massive power brick. All I have in my bag when I take my laptop anywhere is a plug, wire and 7 in 1 dongle that stays in my bag. 

On 5/27/2020 at 7:32 PM, Commodus said:

i forgive them. not many people use older camera's these days that still need those. most people jsut use their phone and all those pictures and video's sync over icloud so no need to plug the phone into the computer anymore. 

She/Her

1 hour ago, Ashley xD said:

i forgive them. not many people use older camera's these days that still need those. most people jsut use their phone and all those pictures and video's sync over icloud so no need to plug the phone into the computer anymore. 

Keep in mind that if you're a pro, there's still a good chance that you have a camera that doesn't use USB-C (even cameras from two or three years ago), or that you may have a pro camera with more than one card slot.  And simply speaking, it's often just faster to pop out the camera's card and plug it in.

Just now, Commodus said:

Keep in mind that if you're a pro, there's still a good chance that you have a camera that doesn't use USB-C (even cameras from two or three years ago), or that you may have a pro camera with more than one card slot.  And simply speaking, it's often just faster to pop out the camera's card and plug it in.

sure, but the vast manjority of Apple's customers aren't "pro"... or even if they are they can live with a dongle taped to their camera so they don't lose it. 

She/Her

1 minute ago, Ashley xD said:

sure, but the vast manjority of Apple's customers aren't "pro"... or even if they are they can live with a dongle taped to their camera so they don't lose it. 

You do know that they have systems with "Pro" on the end, right?

I don't think the absence of a card reader is a deal breaker, but please don't twist yourself in knots trying to justify it.  It really does suck for some of us.

On 5/27/2020 at 10:13 AM, Benji said:

you will always get sufficient RAM, an NVMe SSD and quad-core CPUs. And unless you perform very taxing tasks,

I don't think this is true I only have three tabs open and my memory is already 59% used. After I open a lot of tabs chrome starts to get slow and unresponsive.  Performance does matter for office/web browsing/ school work or homework. 

Screenshot (1).png

• My system specs
  • View 91 Tempered Glass RGB Edition, No PSU, XL-ATX, Black, Full Tower Case
  • ROG MAXIMUS XI EXTREME, Intel Z390 Chipset, LGA 1151, HDMI, E-ATX Motherboard
  • Core™ i9-9900K 8-Core 3.6 - 5.0GHz Turbo, LGA 1151, 95W TDP, Processor
  • GeForce RTX™ 2080 Ti OC ROG-STRIX-RTX2080TI-O11G-GAMING, 1350 - 1665MHz, 11GB GDDR6, Graphics Card
  • ROG RYUJIN 360, 360mm Radiator, Liquid Cooling System
  • 32GB Kit (2 x 16GB) Trident Z DDR4 3200MHz, CL14, Silver-Red DIMM Memory
  • AX1600i Digital, 80 PLUS Titanium 1600W, Fanless Mode, Fully Modular, ATX Power Supply
  • Formula 7, 4g, 8.3 (W/m-K), Nano Diamond, Thermal Compound
  • On AIO cooler 6 x NF-F12 IPPC 3000 PWM 120x120x25mm 4Pin Fibre-glass SSO2 Heptaperf Retail
  • 6 x NF-A14 IPPC-3000 PWM 140mm, 3000 RPM, 158.5 CFM, 41.3 dBA, Cooling Fan
  • 1TB 970 PRO 2280, 3500 / 2700 MB/s, V-NAND 2-bit MLC, PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe, M.2 SSD
  • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 
  • Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Generation) Premium Gaming Headset
  • ROG PG279Q
  • Corsair K95 Platinum XT
  • ROG Sica

the part that I find funny was the part at the end where "macbook" peers from under yhe table when the narrater is saying: macbook says, get a surface. 

On 5/29/2020 at 4:24 PM, Ashley xD said:

The whole idea of an SD card is to take a metric fucktonne (or imperial arseload) of images, then just swap out the card. Saving to internal is an absolute swine especially at an event. Carry around your laptop and ask people to hold on a minute while you open it, connect your dongle, copy the images over then put it away? Much easier to go "oh shit, hang on a sec", then 15 seconds later you're ready to go with a fresh SD card. There's a reason batteries and cards in cameras are removable ;)