Is xotic pc trustable?

Hey guys, I'm doing my first topic here, because I'm about to buy a laptop at "xotic pc", and I wanna know what you guys have to say about the brand? Are they trustable, are the customs xotic pc good?

Thanks guys

Reviews seem to be either "AMAZING!!!!111" or "worst experience ever". A lot of recent reviews of products not being shipped/received or being sent and arriving damaged with no support from the company. I would err on the side of caution on this one.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 minutes ago, Velotrol said:

Hey guys, I'm doing my first topic here, because I'm about to buy a laptop at "xotic pc", and I wanna know what you guys have to say about the brand? Are they trustable, are the customs xotic pc good?

Thanks guys

No prebuilder's Pc TOWERS are good, but in your case, with a laptop, they're just a reseller of laptops, basically. Look for the specs you want, then go to other websites, such as the manufacturer page, newegg, and amazon to find the best price. Don't buy off xotic pc's site. 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

11 minutes ago, Velotrol said:

Thanks guys

They seem way less Sketchy than other offering (read scams) you will find on social media ads.

That being said, unless you need the financing, I would stay away. You are better off ordering parts and building yourself. Yhe community here is very helpful if you submit your build in the planning section.

Spoiler

CPU Ryzen 5900X - Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX X570-E - RAM 16GB of G.SKILL NEON 3600 -
GPU EVGA RTX 3080 XC3 - Case Mastercase H500p mesh - PSU Seasonic Focus Gx-850 -
Corsair MP600 NVME 1 Tb, Samsung 960 PRO 500 Gb & 2 Seagate Baracuda 7200 RPM 2TB in stripe -
Display two VG27AQ 2K monitor - Cooling Corsair H150 Pro - 

Keyboard G-910 W/ Romer G tactile - Mouse G 502 Hero (wired) -
Sound Logitech X-530 and Razer Tiamat headphones

Operating System Windows 10

3 minutes ago, comander said:

This is false. There are plenty of examples of "good" pre-builts. 

They just cost A LOT. 

Puget systems is a good example - https://www.pugetsystems.com/
Good quality stuff, thoughtfully implemented and tested. There's definitely a value add to their service above and beyond the BOM costs. Whether or not it's "worth it" is another story - if you have a lot of money and not much time, it could be. If you have more time than money, it probably isn't. 

Same thing could be said about Digital Storm (I want one of their cases). Awesome design and implementation. Corners are NOT being cut... the cost is high though. 

I'm not endorsing either of those companies, merely stating that there are cases where builders really can help some people above and beyond slapping together parts. 

Let me clairify. By 'good' I mean 'good for the price you pay,' or comparing it to building it yourself, It shouldn't ever be more than 7-10%, which basically never happens. Also unless you pay extra, the builders do a $h!t job anyways (Pay extra on the side for explicitly better cable managment or pay more for a company known to do that without giving you an option, and just boosts the price)

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

30 minutes ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

No prebuilder's Pc TOWERS are good, but in your case, with a laptop, they're just a reseller of laptops, basically. Look for the specs you want, then go to other websites, such as the manufacturer page, newegg, and amazon to find the best price. Don't buy off xotic pc's site. 

There are good prebuilders out there and even OEMs at this point are fairly reliable. Much more reliable than your typical little computer shop down the road. Case in point: 

Especially for people don't know what they're doing or don't trust themselves handling expensive hardware, prebuilts are a perfectly legitimate option. 

15 minutes ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

Let me clairify. By 'good' I mean 'good for the price you pay,' or comparing it to building it yourself, It shouldn't ever be more than 7-10%, which basically never happens. Also unless you pay extra, the builders do a $h!t job anyways (Pay extra on the side for explicitly better cable managment or pay more for a company known to do that without giving you an option, and just boosts the price)

By your logic, we should be building everything ourselves. Houses, cars, appliances, all of these things cost more than 7-10% of the total cost of parts. You're not just paying for assembly, you're also paying for after purchase support. If anything goes wrong with a prebuilt, you call up the company who built the system for support. It's one point of contact. If you build it yourself, you're on your own for troubleshooting and the RMA process. Again, not something everyone is an expert at. 

Wondered why IT departments purchase still from Dell or HP? It's not like management doesn't know that building systems in-house could save a couple of bucks. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

To the OP - I have never heard of that prebuilt brand.  While that doesn't mean much, I am perusing tech every day for a few years now - what I would view that as is simply this - not worth the risk unless I 100% new I could get my money back.  If I knew I would be backed by bank or paypal - if its the best price, do it.  As for a manufacturer, as noted above, they are just a re-seller of someone elses widgets (PCs)

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

I got my MSI GS60 laptop from there. Never had a problem, and it was delivered on time. Can't say about any of their custom/prebuilt computers though, because they are just another vendor that sells MSI laptops. 

Tech enthusiast and CS Student

14 hours ago, Velotrol said:

because I'm about to buy a laptop at "xotic pc"

Which one?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

• 3 years later...

Absolutely not trustworthy.

Disastrous experience; faulty unit had a complete blowout in less a year.

Had a need for a new computer; never went with XOTICPC before, but heard good things, so I figured I'd give them a try; MSI laptop ran fine for about a year, then had a blowout; at first, I thought it just needed a new power supply; XOTICPC arranged shipping to MSI; MSI inspected the unit, determined the entire laptop had a blowout, needed full replacement, and provided a quote which was roughly the cost of the entire unit; I refused this course of action, and instead requested the unit be shipped back to myself so I could get a hard drive restore/transfer performed once I had a new laptop.

At the time of initial purchase, I figured I had gotten a decent deal on a model that was going out of circulation. In retrospect, now, I get the feeling I only ended up dropping ~$1.5k on failed hardware MSI was offloading.

They also have the audacity to send you a link to review their product - which goes to a dead page, so you can’t review their garbage.

Cherry on top - the corrupt staff at XOTICPC flagged a negative review I left on TrustPilot, claiming they didn’t “think it was based on a genuine experience.” Like…my brother in Christ, I have the emails. I have the order confirmation email. I have the order number. I have emails of our correspondences together, when the laptop had the blowout. I have email invoices for what MSI wanted for repairs. This event legitimately occurred, and they’re trying to claim it didn’t. Astounding.

I'll just add my 2 cents since this post was resurrected from the grave. I purchased a laptop from xotic pc back in ~2012 and never had any issues with it. It had a dedicated gpu as well as an i7-2700k processor. sadly I went with more storage instead of flash, (hdd vs ssd) and while the laptop still runs, I'd really need to swap the drive for a ssd to "bring it back to life".

I will also add I ended up using it through college during those years.

Remember now this is over 10 years ago. I understand companies change, and it's possible their quality control isn't up to par and I lucked out.