VPN Recommendations

Statik

Hey guys, I'm looking into getting a VPN. In about a month I'll be traveling to Europe for about 6 months, and I'll be hotspotting my phone for internet the entire time, and when gaming/browsing the web I want security. Does anyone have recommendations for the best option?

I'm not really sure about the going prices of VPNs, so I don't really have a budget, just looking for suggestions. I also might be sharing it with 1 other person.

Thanks,

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

Windscribe is a usual go-to for me

Very affordable on a custom plan

Also: Me waiting for bots to attack this thread like it's fresh bait

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

I recommend PIA, been using it for 5+ years now with no issues, no noticeable lag. (No I dont recemmend based on LTT's promotion as I've been using longer than LTT's promotion of it). I normally pay annually which is about $40 USD, LAst purchase was a 2 year deal at 20% off but that was a loyalty discount though iirc.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

3 hours ago, Statik said:

Hey guys, I'm looking into getting a VPN. In about a month I'll be traveling to Europe for about 6 months, and I'll be hotspotting my phone for internet the entire time, and when gaming/browsing the web I want security. Does anyone have recommendations for the best option?

I'm not really sure about the going prices of VPNs, so I don't really have a budget, just looking for suggestions. I also might be sharing it with 1 other person.

Thanks,

ProtonVPN. It's free for 1 device. It's really the only VPN I actually trust in general.

@Statik apologies I just noticed you said you were hot-spotting from your phone (not sure why I overlooked that) ... I would instead recommend getting the 1.1.1.1 app as it will provide you with what you are looking for, and its free.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1 hour ago, RejZoR said:

ProtonVPN

who / which country owns proton vpn?

6 minutes ago, dfsgsfa said:

who / which country owns proton vpn?

Protnvpn is based in Switzerland, there is a free tier so you can try it out.

A cheaper alternative (to the plus plan) could be Mullvad.

Here you can find some of the most privacy concerned vpn services: https://www.privacytools.io/providers/vpn/

I've been using IP Vanish for 18 months now, never had any issues or reasons to believe they're doing anything shady. Only recently I flashed my router with DD-WRT and now I use its OpenVPN client to keep my router connected permanently meaning all my devices in my house are now protected for the same price.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1.1.1.1 is likely all you need.

cloudflares app forces their DNS server no matter what.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Using a paid VPN for security reasons is kind of counterintuitive.  You're just handing your traffic on a silver platter to whoever the provider is, along with all of their (potentially) sketchy and disgruntled employees.

Use SSL/TLS when you visit sensitive sites and call it a day. VPNs are a complete waste of money 99% of the time unless you need to dodge geo restrictions.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

If you got the know how and you trust your internet provider at home, perhaps try to setup your own vpn with for example openvpn. From experience it can be used with 2 people and it's free.

01110111 01101000 01100101 01101110 00100000 01110011 01101000 01101001 01110100 00100000 01101000 01101001 01110100 01110011 00100000 01110100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01100110 01100001 01101110

7 hours ago, Statik said:

Thanks,

You can just use 1.1.1.1

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

8 hours ago, LAwLz said:

For the thing you described, you don't need a VPN. Save your money.

Yes, I do. Due to the nature of my job and my location I’ll be at risk. 

4 hours ago, Lord Vile said:

You can just use 1.1.1.1

6 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

1.1.1.1 is likely all you need.

cloudflares app forces their DNS server no matter what.

7 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

@Statik apologies I just noticed you said you were hot-spotting from your phone (not sure why I overlooked that) ... I would instead recommend getting the 1.1.1.1 app as it will provide you with what you are looking for, and its free.

thank you! I found the 1.1.1.1 Faster Internet on the App Store and it appears to be it! What is the difference between it and the traditional VPNs you guys suggested? Thank you for all the advice! I appreciate it.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

57 minutes ago, Statik said:

Yes, I do. Due to the nature of my job and my location I’ll be at risk. 

In that case your work should provide you with a VPN client and access. If you are going to do work related things you really don't want to tunnel your traffic to some unknown company.

59 minutes ago, Statik said:

thank you! I found the 1.1.1.1 Faster Internet on the App Store and it appears to be it! What is the difference between it and the traditional VPNs you guys suggested? Thank you for all the advice! I appreciate it.

Depends on if you got the Warp feature or not.

If you do, then it's just a VPN like any other, but operates by Cloudflare.

If you don't have the Warp feature, then it just changes your DNS settings, which won't offer you the same functionality as a VPN would.

5 hours ago, LAwLz said:

In that case your work should provide you with a VPN client and access. If you are going to do work related things you really don't want to tunnel your traffic to some unknown company.

Depends on if you got the Warp feature or not.

If you do, then it's just a VPN like any other, but operates by Cloudflare.

If you don't have the Warp feature, then it just changes your DNS settings, which won't offer you the same functionality as a VPN would.

Thank you. And I'm not doing work related things, it's all personal (Gaming, surfing the web, paying bills, etc.), but there's a slight risk, so my employer has "strongly suggested" we get a VPN for personal use, and unfortunately my employer won't pay for any VPN.

So I downloaded the app, and in the settings there's 3 options.

1) 1.1.1.1 ("Make private requests to look up the location of websites using Cloudfare's DNS)

2) 1.1.1.1 with WARP (Everything from 1.1.1.1 plus more private loading of websites using a more modern internet protocol.), I assume this is the one with a VPN like any other?

3) WARP+ Which appears to just be 1.1.1.1 with faster speeds at a monthly rate?

So TLDR is if I use 1.1.1.1 with WARP I'll have a VPN essentially?

Thanks for any help, this is all relatively new to me.

Gaming Build:

Peripherals:

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

9 hours ago, Statik said:

So TLDR is if I use 1.1.1.1 with WARP I'll have a VPN essentially?

Yes, that is correct.

• 2 years later...
On 5/25/2020 at 11:48 PM, LAwLz said:

For the thing you described, you don't need a VPN. Save your money.

+100.  For the reasons outlined, this is very much not needed.  The whole VPN thing is a scam (related to security)