Opinion: less effort en phone design, more effort on case design.

Most people who don't use a case do so because they purchase a flagship, recognizable phone from a luxurious brand and they don't want to hide the logo behind a case. It is my opinion that phone manufacturers should make bland designs for the back of their phones and just include an iconic, good-looking case with it. Or sell the case for extra cash.

A great looking case can transform a cheap chinese phone into a luxurious looking product.

https://www.hicity.fr/coque-luxe-cuir-housse-etui-pour-xiaomi-poco-f2-pro-vert-91151.html

1 minute ago, 7412 said:

Most people who don't use a case do so because they purchase a flagship, recognizable phone from a luxurious brand and they don't want to hide the logo behind a case.

I don’t think that’s why most people don’t use cases. From what I have heard at least, the biggest reason to not use a case is to keep the phone slim. 

4 minutes ago, 7412 said:

It is my opinion that phone manufacturers should make bland designs for the back of their phones

The backs of a lot of modern flagships are already blank with just a logo, so the only way to go more bland is to not include a logo, which most likely isn’t going to happen.

6 minutes ago, 7412 said:

just include an iconic, good-looking case with it.

Looks are subjective, what you find good-looking someone else probably won’t, so including a case that many people won’t use will just increase the price needlessly.

7 minutes ago, 7412 said:

Or sell the case for extra cash.

Phone manufactures are already doing that.

1 hour ago, huilun02 said:

I hate how phones are made to break with curved screens and glass back. Even when wireless charging is not supported.

Many phone cases look great on the product page, but are actually shoddily made once you get them in person.

I'm afraid that's the norm. Devices with a curved display is eye catching and it further slims down the side bezels. Glass, unfortunately has taken the role of being a premium material, but at the same time, it also allows you to get better wireless signals. You win some, you lose some.

Plastic might be the answer for phones, but some argue it feels cheap, and manufacturers can't charge outrageous repair prices for cracking the back cover of a device. (Ahem, Apple)

Marketing works, and if you even slim down the bezels with the use of reflections and what not, people will fall for it.

Phones aren't just a utility anymore, it's jewelry.

@KayTees' Little Brother

My PC: Stepping Stones (2019)

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700

CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3

Motherboard: GIGABYTE B360 HD3

RAM: HyperX Fury 8GB (2x4) Black DDR4-2133GHz

GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Titanium 8GB

Case: Thermaltake View 27
Storage: SanDisk 2.5" 128GB SSD | Western Digital 3.5" 1TB HDD

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 550W

Displays: LG 27GL63TBenQ GW2270 21.5"

Keyboard: Corsair Strafe w/ Cherry MX Red Switches & 2010 Razer Blackwidow w/ Cherry MX Blues Switches

Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum

Headset: V-MODA Crossfade M-100

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 LTSC

Last updated: August 10, 2020 at 2:10 PM

Mobile Devices:

Spoiler

Phone: OnePlus 7 Pro Almond (OnePlus GM1917)

Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 8" (SM-T330NU)

Previous Phones: Apple iPhone 4, Apple iPhone 5, Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (SM-N910W8), OnePlus 5T (OnePlus A5010), OnePlus 6 (OnePlus A6003)

PCPartsPicker:

Spoiler

PCPartsPicker Link: http://tiny.cc/KenTees

Last updated: April 23, 2019 at 2:00 PM

People who don't use cases are the people who can afford to buy a new one if it breaks. 

I never see an iPhone with a case on it, and most high-end Samsung devices are bare too. (I work at a retail store near the local college so I see a lot of devices)