Looking for some decent headphones, need some suggestions

Element921

I've been using these cheap Sony MDR-ZX100s for a while now, but they've started to break on me so I decided I should get a better pair to replace them. I'm very picky about headphones though, and on a semi-tight budget. I'm looking for headphones that are comfortable, very good at canceling sound, have a very flat sound signature(not a fan of heavy bass), can last a while even when constantly listening at very high volumes, and work on an iPod without an adapter. Sound quality isn't a big deal for me as long as it's not totally awful and doesn't have a lot of bass as I mentioned earlier. My budget's around $100, although I am willing to go over that if I absolutely need to. Any suggestions?

Have you gave the sennheiser hd 280 pros a try? AKG has some nice ones.

Audio Technica ath-m50's are superb, thier really comfy but I have noticed their a tad more punchy than my 280s.

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

Audio Technica ath-m50's are superb, thier really comfy but I have noticed their a tad more punchy than my 280s.

oh god not the 280 pros please. Those are torture devices, and the sound is meh.

he said he wanted closed headphones. That's about the worst suggestion you can make. 

"Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

I've been using these cheap Sony MDR-ZX100s for a while now, but they've started to break on me so I decided I should get a better pair to replace them. I'm very picky about headphones though, and on a semi-tight budget. I'm looking for headphones that are comfortable, very good at canceling sound, have a very flat sound signature(not a fan of heavy bass), can last a while even when constantly listening at very high volumes, and work on an iPod without an adapter. Sound quality isn't a big deal for me as long as it's not totally awful and doesn't have a lot of bass as I mentioned earlier. My budget's around $100, although I am willing to go over that if I absolutely need to. Any suggestions?

what type of music do you listen to mostly? And are you sure you want a flat sound signature? A lot of people say they don't want over emphasized bass, but that doens't mean you wouldn't enjoy a mild v-shaped sound signature. Headphones such as the MDR-V6 are considered relatively flat, but a lot of people including me thinks it also means they are very boring headphones. My point is that the opposite of bloated bass doens't have to be "boring" bass. Fun to listen headphones are generally not flat. Or maybe you would enjoy a more treble oriented sound signature?

And please answer if you plan on using them for outside use and such (for portability reasons)

oh god not the 280 pros please. Those are torture devices, and the sound is meh.

he said he wanted closed headphones. That's about the worst suggestion you can make.

I don't find em to be that bad for the price, they've been a good headphone to me when I've used em. Great entry pair in the audiophile world lol.

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

I don't find em to be that bad for the price, they've been a good headphone to me when I've used em. Great entry pair in the audiophile world lol.

The sound is not horrible by any means, but those are some head crushing torture devices. 

what type of music do you listen to mostly? And are you sure you want a flat sound signature? A lot of people say they don't want over emphasized bass, but that doens't mean you wouldn't enjoy a mild v-shaped sound signature. Headphones such as the MDR-V6 are considered relatively flat, but a lot of people including me thinks it also means they are very boring headphones. My point is that the opposite of bloated bass doens't have to be "boring" bass. Fun to listen headphones are generally not flat. Or maybe you would enjoy a more treble oriented sound signature?

And please answer if you plan on using them for outside use and such (for portability reasons)

+1 for the Sony V6. I had the MDR-7506 from Sony which is very similar but has that coiled cable that isn't good for portability.

+1 for the Sony V6. I had the MDR-7506 from Sony which is very similar but has that coiled cable that isn't good for portability.

I'm not recommending them lol. I just said that I find them quite boring. They're great for studio monitoring (that' their original purpose), but for music, I think they're merely ok. 

The sound is not horrible by any means, but those are some head crushing torture devices.

They get looser and not as head crushingly painful after use. You can put em between books to loosen them up.

I listen to all sorts of music, but most commonly I listen to electronic music or drum and bass(specifically, Pendulum). And I'm sure I want flat sound, I've used quite a few bass-heavy headphones and didn't really like them. I like headphones that play every instrument and the vocals in a song all very clearly. I mostly plan on using them for when I'm either traveling or just away from my computer since I already have a decent USB-powered headset, so portability would be nice, but it's not really a massive issue for me since I've been able to tote around other headphones just fine even if they aren't built for portability.

The 280s look nice, but I am a bit concerned about the whole head-crushing thing that hawaiims mentioned. The ATH-M50s also look pretty great, but $200 is double my budget...

I listen to all sorts of music, but most commonly I listen to electronic music or drum and bass(specifically, Pendulum). And I'm sure I want flat sound, I've used quite a few bass-heavy headphones and didn't really like them. I like headphones that play every instrument and the vocals in a song all very clearly. I mostly plan on using them for when I'm either traveling or just away from my computer since I already have a decent USB-powered headset, so portability would be nice, but it's not really a massive issue for me since I've been able to tote around other headphones just fine even if they aren't built for portability.

The 280s look nice, but I am a bit concerned about the whole head-crushing thing that hawaiims mentioned. The ATH-M50s also look pretty great, but $200 is double my budget...

m50s cost 140$ dude. 

Anyways, sorry for responding to you so late. I would recommend the creative Aurvana live 2. I know they're called a headset (in reality they're not really, it just has a mic on the cord), but the original creative aurvana are highly praised headphones and these are the next gen of those headphones. They're apparently much comfier, look a lot better, and the drivers were also tuned a little so it apparently sounds better than the original (who already sounded great for the price). Even though I have not tried them I am pretty certain that they are better than the Audio Technica M50 from what I have heard all around, and they're basically a perfect budget for you. They cost 108$ on amazon right there:

http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Aurvana-Headset-Drivers-In-Line/dp/B00FC2R7ZW/

m50s cost 140$ dude. 

Anyways, sorry for responding to you so late. I would recommend the creative Aurvana live 2. I know they're called a headset (in reality they're not really, it just has a mic on the cord), but the original creative aurvana are highly praised headphones and these are the next gen of those headphones. They're apparently much comfier, look a lot better, and the drivers were also tuned a little so it apparently sounds better than the original (who already sounded great for the price). Even though I have not tried them I am pretty certain that they are better than the Audio Technica M50 from what I have heard all around, and they're basically a perfect budget for you. They cost 108$ on amazon right there:

http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Aurvana-Headset-Drivers-In-Line/dp/B00FC2R7ZW/

Oh, the links I found said $200. Must've been those sites overpricing. Those Creative Aurvanas look pretty awesome though, thanks for showing me those. Also, no worries about the late response, I basically live on my PC most of the time so I was in no rush haha

Oh, the links I found said $200. Must've been those sites overpricing. Those Creative Aurvanas look pretty awesome though, thanks for showing me those. Also, no worries about the late response, I basically live on my PC most of the time so I was in no rush haha

No the M50's MSRP (suggested retail price) is 200$ or even 250$ if I'm not wrong. However the street price is considerable lower at 130$.

You should definitely try out the creative aurvana live 2. The Aurvana live (first gen) were loved by many people, and the new ones apparently sound better, look better, are comfier, have a removable cable, and apparently have better build quality as well. They should be able to easily compete with headphones twice the price. 

Shure SRH440 or 840,used you can get the 840 under 100, both isolate well, are "studio reference flat sound curve" and great detail.

I'm not recommending them lol. I just said that I find them quite boring. They're great for studio monitoring (that' their original purpose), but for music, I think they're merely ok. 

But he wants a flat curve and V6 is pretty damn flat xD lol. You also might be able to find them around $50 used if you're lucky. \

Edit: Oh wait those have a coiled cable too don't they. Yeah nevermind. 

Shure SRH440 or 840,used you can get the 840 under 100, both isolate well, are "studio reference flat sound curve" and great detail.

Srh840 uses the same drivers are the 440 FYI. Biggest difference is the earpads (which you can buy off anywhere for around 20 quid).I owned the 440 and there are indeed quite flat, but I found them to be 'soulless". They were boring flat monitors with a lack of sub bass and I sold them after a couple months. The 20$ jvc rx500 I had sounded just about as good