Did you ever stupidly damage your IT stuff?

Ergroilnin
On 5/23/2020 at 3:21 PM, Ergroilnin said:

Heya,

so I just managed to brick my mech keyboard (like 80 euros give or take) and damage my monitor (around 450 euros).

I have a strict policy of not eating or drinking near my PC at all, well guess what, the one time I break it and bring a sugary drink there, I immediately manage to tip the cup over in a way, that the liquid hits whatever was in front of me, which obviously was my keyboard and main monitor.

The keyboard at first only left me with fully functioning keys but only left half of the keyboard still lit with RGB, after immeadiate disconnect, 24 hours of letting it dry and then cleaning it with isopropyl alcohol, it just died. No RGB, sure, but not even any keystrike recognition. Ouch.

Now the monitor did function properly for few hours (also turned it off as fast as I could and leave it off for more than a day to dry off (though not cleaning it, as dissasebly of monitor is way more work etc.), but two days after, it developed two vertical lines that are always red/blue respectively.

I hate myself so much right now. And I have noone but myself to blame.

But that is life I guess and I will learn from my mistake, though it will cost me a lot of money (I know that, give or take, 100 euros is not THAT much, it will still hurt my wallet... I will keep the monitor for now, since I was at least lucky enough, that the vertical lines are not near the center of the screen, so it is usable enough for me...)

The reason why I am not typing this as a status update is because I would like to know if any of you have some similiar experiences, what happened and how did you react to it, both immeadiately and over the time :) .

*Takes a sipp from LTT Water Bottle over Peripherals, Mouse Pad and Phone* This ain't ever happenin' to me *knocks on wood aka the table*

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

Spilled a large cup of coffee on my 2013 Apple Macbook. That instantly ended up to be a very expensive cup. The laptop was toast. Way too expensive to fix from Apple, so I ended up tossing it as e-waste.

I was on the fence as to whether or not to upgrade to a newer MBP as none of the newer model were upgrade friendly. In hindsight, it was for the best. I'm now back to Windows 10.

Wish I had know about Louis Rossmann, I would have gladly sold him my broken unit for at least spare parts; would have recouped some of the loss I think.

Cat pulled a cable causing me to fall causing a monitor to fall on top of me smashing the panel

43 minutes ago, sansyy said:

Cat pulled a cable causing me to fall causing a monitor to fall on top of me smashing the panel

Is the cat okay?

Just now, TempestCatto said:

Is the cat okay?

probably yes

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

put my helix 2 on top of the tallest closet I have in my room during cleanup, the next thing I did was sweeping glass from the floor

it wouldn't be even so bad (even though I had it maybe like half a year at that poinmt) but there was no device that could replace it on the market, I really didn't want to go for surface pro and go was so much worse (and yet more expensive than what I paid for helix) I just gave up and kept using my older, Z8350 based tablet instead

and when I finally gave in and bought foldable instead go2 got announced fixing the most annoying issues of go1

I was trying to lift up my 1060 Armor because it had fairly bad GPU sag. For the short term I tried to just tie some floss to it. Some gloss got stuck and I thought I'd just quickly move it with a pair of pliers. I thought it would be quick and easy so I didn't even turn off the PC. 

A heart-wrenching ZAP and a puff of smoke, followed by the PC shutting down. I'm sitting there with a pair of pliers, mouth agape at what must certainly have meant a dead card, or perhaps even more. 

To my great fortune the card still worked, though it now had a new case of coil whine. I later sold that card for more than I paid for it because of the mining craze. All in all lucked out. I wonder if that card is still running. 

That's an F in the profile pic

My CableMod came in a few weeks after my components, so I had my rig torn apart last December as I routed the CableMod. I wasn't fully paying attention and went to grab my virtually new 2080S and my finger brushed the PCI-E Connector and there was a static shock. My asshole has never been more puckered than when I pressed the power button after reassembling (all good though).

I also once put the front glass piece back on my O11 Dynamic, the top didn't seat properly, I turned around and it just fell off and right onto the concrete floor, and somehow by the grace of God, the corner landed on the back of my slipper instead of the concrete floor, and it didn't even so much as scratch.

I've also taken the side glass panel off, put it on my chair and almost sat on it more time's than I can count.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro