How to make the Rb941-2nd-tc Hap Lite a Switch?

Silencix

Hi, I wanted to know if you can make the Rb941-2nd-tc Hap Lite a switch to use it for Pfsense, since I have installed Pfsense on a computer with a single ethernet input and so I was reading I need a switch to make it work. Well I hope someone can guide me. Thank you very much in advance.

Best regards.

If Pfsense is being used as your primary router you need a computer with two Ethernet ports. One for the WAN, and one for the LAN. You can't use one Ethernet port and run it to a switch.

8 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

If Pfsense is being used as your primary router you need a computer with two Ethernet ports. One for the WAN, and one for the LAN. You can't use one Ethernet port and run it to a switch.

you can do a router with. asingle power using vlans

14 minutes ago, Silencix said:

Hi, I wanted to know if you can make the Rb941-2nd-tc Hap Lite a switch to use it for Pfsense, since I have installed Pfsense on a computer with a single ethernet input and so I was reading I need a switch to make it work. Well I hope someone can guide me. Thank you very much in advance.

Best regards.

did you ser tup vlans on the hap?

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

I thought about this but I've never heard anybody use a single interface for both their WAN and LAN assuming the WAN is going to hold their Public IP's.

If that is a configuration that exists and works without issue then I'll remember it for the next time.

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

I thought about this but I've never heard anybody use a single interface for both their WAN and LAN assuming the WAN is going to hold their Public IP's.

If that is a configuration that exists and works without issue then I'll remember it for the next time.

yup work fine, ive done it a bit, you need a managed switch

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

you need a managed switch

Was going to say but those can be found on the 2nd hand market really cheaply.

Not always the friendliness UI's on them but for $20~30 it's worth learning the commands.

9 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

did you ser tup vlans on the hap?

I have no idea how to do the vlans in the hap, nor do I know how to make the hap a switch.

1 minute ago, Silencix said:

I have no idea how to do the vlans in the hap, nor do I know how to make the hap a switch.

can you get into the routeros config on it?  There should be a option to setup vlans.

but you really want a switch here, not a router.