HDMI 1.4 to HDMI 2.0

Teddy07
Go to solution Solved by Teddy07,

@jaslion@The_russian

I did solve it! 🥳

The problem was simply miscommunication on multiple levels because we just used voice communication.

What did my sister do?
She connected the cable with the port on the motherboard whenever I said that she needs to connect it with the ports on the graphics card. She always said that there is just one port when the graphics card has two but I ignored it until I finally asked her to provide a photo💡

She never knew that the graphics card has HDMI ports because I never bothered to remove the little plastic seals over the ports when I swapped the graphics card a few month ago. The ports were never used so far. It worked flawlessly once she connected the cable with one port on the graphics card. The old 1.4 cable worked as well as the new 2.0 cable.

I am an IT student and have learned a valuable lesson as well. I need to be more precise and listen more carefully when interacting with non techies 😃

Hello,
my sister has an old TV with HDMI 1.4 and wants it to connect to her HDMI 2.0 GPU. I honestly feel stupid because I did some research and HDMI is backwards compatible, but we tried connection it with an HDMI cable 1.4 and 2.0 but it doesn't work. Is there some sort of adapter or are we just out of luck?

I just want to make sure that she doesn't order another item that will not work. Thanks for help.

Side story:
My father has a very high opinion of an electrician because he has supposedly so much knowledge and skill. He failed even harder because he wanted to replace my sisters RX480 with an GTX1050ti and also replace the power supply for a total of 210 €. The gtx 1050ti also has HDMI 2.0 and the power supply already has enough wattage. Needless to say that the money would have been totally wasted without solving the problem.

You are correct about HDMI being backwards compatible. If it isn’t working, there is a problem with either the tv input or the pc. Can you test another device with the same TV input, and the pc with another monitor?

28 minutes ago, The_russian said:

You are correct about HDMI being backwards compatible. If it isn’t working, there is a problem with either the tv input or the pc. Can you test another device with the same TV input, and the pc with another monitor?

good idea

She can test connect her pc with her monitor through HDMI. She can also test connect a second PC with the TV. The connection works there since both just use HDMI 1.4

@jaslion@The_russian

I did solve it! 🥳

The problem was simply miscommunication on multiple levels because we just used voice communication.

What did my sister do?
She connected the cable with the port on the motherboard whenever I said that she needs to connect it with the ports on the graphics card. She always said that there is just one port when the graphics card has two but I ignored it until I finally asked her to provide a photo💡

She never knew that the graphics card has HDMI ports because I never bothered to remove the little plastic seals over the ports when I swapped the graphics card a few month ago. The ports were never used so far. It worked flawlessly once she connected the cable with one port on the graphics card. The old 1.4 cable worked as well as the new 2.0 cable.

I am an IT student and have learned a valuable lesson as well. I need to be more precise and listen more carefully when interacting with non techies 😃