Budget Gaming Rig

Budget (including currency): US $500-550

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Games like minecraft (including modded), csgo, gta 5, fortnite, witcher 3, civ 6, a bunch more. NO streaming, very light editing 
Of course the basic programs!

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Okay, I will basically only be keeping my 500gb hdd, everything else needs changing as my pc in now 10 years old.
Here is my list, would love some tweaks/recommendations for making it cheaper and/or better.

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 3 3300X 3.8 GHz Quad-Core Processor $145.00
Motherboard ASRock B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $91.00
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $50.00
Storage Crucial MX500 250 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $52.00
Video Card Sapphire Radeon RX 580 8 GB PULSE Video Card $125.00
Case Corsair SPEC-05 ATX Mid Tower Case $38.00
Power Supply Corsair CX (2017) 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $64.00
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total $565.00
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-05-22 06:09 EDT-0400  

Important points:

Some prices have been tweaked according to my country and website of choice.

I am buying one 8gb only for now and it costs $50 for me. but there was no 8gb stick of ripjaws 5 hence i did it this way!
The case isnt exactly the same as the case i am going for isnt available on pcpartpicker. But i have changed it to my price.
The cpu price is according to my country incl taxes.
The graphics card is used, hence the price. Everything else will be NEW. The seller claims it is still in warranty for some months. I would like to go with a brand new 1650S but cant adjust my prices enough to adjust it within 550.
Especially looking for feedback reagarding mobo, storage (want 240/250 gb ssd strictly) , psu.

THANKS! Every bit really helps.

Edited by Aman7
NEW LIST

It looks pretty good, but be careful, you might have to update BIOS on your mobo. (because of 3rd gen ryzen processors)

5 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

i cant get a 590, just wudnt fit within my budget. 
ADATA ram seems few dollars cheaper in my country, again the 8gb model. (ill be upgrading to 16 later) Is adata good? 
And i dont think i want to change my cpu

Any Help is appricated! Please correct me if I´m wrong!

Sorry for grammer/spelling mistakes, but english is not my native language (it´s german in case you were curious) *expand to see builds*

Primary PC: CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | GPU: Crossfire Radeon 6870 + 6850 | RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 2X16 = 32GB @ 3600MHZ DDR4 | MOBO: ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F | COOLER: COOLER MASTER ML360R | CASE: DEEPCOOL Matrexx 55 V3 ADD-RGB | PSU: GIGABYTE P850GM 80+ GOLD | SDD: CRUCIAL MX500 250GB |

Everything thats not colourful I haven't bought yet.

Secondary PC(Currently not operational): CPU:  INTEL Q8200S @ 2.33Ghz | GPU: GTX 750 ti / 760 | RAM: 4X2 = 8GB @ 800MHZ DDR2 OCZ Platinum | MOBO: ASUS P5E-VM SE | COOLER: Be Quiet! Silent Loop 280* | CASE: DEEPCOOL Matrexx 55 V3 ADD-RGB* | PSU: CORSAIR RM850 2019 80+ GOLD* | SSD: CRUCIAL MX500 250GB* 

Everything marked with * is what I bought for the Primary PC and I'm just using it until I get all the parts.

Just now, Matttaj69 said:

It looks pretty good, but be careful, you might have to update BIOS on your mobo. (because of 3rd gen ryzen processors)

i have heard asrock are the best in updating their bios... its updated out of the box i am sure

1 minute ago, Enzo1001 said:

i would go 3300x

Ikr

1 minute ago, Aman7 said:

i have heard asrock are the best in updating their bios... its updated out of the box i am sure

Then you are fine. Enjoy your new build

Can i use a 80+ bronze 450 w with this?
PC part picker shows 360w and i dont plan to upgrade for some time. or should i go for 550? is it needed?

you can probably shave some money off and get a better gpu

cpu: too good for 580; you'll be wasting performance

ram: 3600 could be wasted spec. how much $ can you save by getting, say, 3200?

ssd: can you save $ by getting 2.5" ssd? this won't affect gaming performance or even load time (contrary to popular belief)

if possibe, get a hdd for storage even a low spec one is fine (mine is a 1.5tb 3.5" 5400 rpm sata hhd salvaged from an old external drive and it's been more than sufficient). this will save you frustration later and will help preserve your ssd.

Please give kudos if you find someone's reply helpful 😃

<'><  <'><  <'><

In case you wonder about my forum name, it's either Cthulhu or two dwarves about to make out ;)

Now that you've seen it, can you unsee it?

<">{   <">{   <">{

Get motion sickness playing FPS =(

" ({) "   " ({) "   " ({) "

"You so ugly you scaring away the fish!"

>>>><<<<

>>> "BOOB JOB" <<<

Ryzen 3600
MSI B450m Mortar Max
2 x Corsair low clearance DDR4 8G 3200MHz C16

GeForce GTX 780 Ti (temporarily downgraded)
Silverstone FT03
Samsung EVO 2.5" SSD 500G (boot) + WD SN550 1TB (game lib)

WD Elements 3.5" HDD 1.5T (storage; pulled from an old external drive)
Seasonic SS-660XPII 660W 80Plus Platinum Ver II
DeepCool Gammaxx GT (CPU)
Silverstone AB120R (intake)
2 x Silverstone AP81 (intake)
Silversrone FN121-P (exhaust)

AG AGON AG323QCXE (What a hidden gem)

NiZ Plum Electro-capacitive Keyboard
Logitech G703 Hero Lightspeed

Koss Sporta 
Windows 10 Pro

>>>><<<<

Linksys WRT1900ACS (rocking OpenWrt)

WD Elements 5T external HDD (network backup drive)

8 minutes ago, Aman7 said:

PC part picker shows 360w and i dont plan to upgrade for some time. or should i go for 550? is it needed?

Solid build, but if you want to upgrade later on just get the 550w version. My only recommendation is that i'll switch to MSI B450m Pro VDH2 Max so that i don't have any worries about bios issues because the max version support 3rd gen Ryzen out of the box.

23 minutes ago, Aman7 said:

check the below thread for what power supply you need. Definitely get a reliable PSU but for low budget build i wouldn't worry about leaving headroom for upgrade later (silly). Optimise and get the BEST out of money RIGHT NOW.

<'><  <'><  <'><

In case you wonder about my forum name, it's either Cthulhu or two dwarves about to make out ;)

<">{   <">{   <">{

>>>><<<<

>>> "BOOB JOB" <<<

Ryzen 3600
MSI B450m Mortar Max

Silverstone FT03

Koss Sporta 
Windows 10 Pro

>>>><<<<

49 minutes ago, LjjlijJ said:

ssd: can you save $ by getting 2.5" ssd? this won't affect gaming performance or even load time (contrary to popular belief)

if possibe, get a hdd for storage even a low spec one is fine (mine is a 1.5tb 3.5" 5400 rpm sata hhd salvaged from an old external drive and it's been more than sufficient). this will save you frustration later and will help preserve your ssd.

ohk, first of all the ram was a mistake. I am getting 3200 adata ram... 1 8 gb stick for now, ill buy another in some months. I considered this already so cant shave off more money there.
I already have a 500gb hdd and just want a 240gb ssd. I really want the ssd goodness so i cant just rely on hdd.
I dont want to switch the cpu for some reasons... I will upgrade the graphics card after some years if possible and i dont want to change the cpu. Also i play a lot of minecraft including modded which relies on only 1 core. And ryzen 3300x is good at that. 
So the problem of squeezing a new 1650S Still remains. haha!
thanks a lot!

37 minutes ago, LjjlijJ said:

check the below thread for what power supply you need. Definitely get a reliable PSU but for low budget build i wouldn't worry about leaving headroom for upgrade later (silly). Optimise and get the BEST out of money RIGHT NOW.

I have read that and it suggests a 450W supply but I just wanted some reassurance based on my selection!
I can save 15 or so dollars by going for a 450 but i dont want to risk things, haha!

Anyways, thanks!

19 minutes ago, Aman7 said:

ohk, first of all the ram was a mistake. I am getting 3200 adata ram... 1 8 gb stick for now, ill buy another in some months. I considered this already so cant shave off more money there.
I already have a 500gb hdd and just want a 240gb ssd. I really want the ssd goodness so i cant just rely on hdd.
I dont want to switch the cpu for some reasons... I will upgrade the graphics card after some years if possible and i dont want to change the cpu. Also i play a lot of minecraft including modded which relies on only 1 core. And ryzen 3300x is good at that. 
So the problem of squeezing a new 1650S Still remains. haha!
thanks a lot!

Wasn't saying use hdd instead of ssd. I was saying use hdd for "storage", which will help preserve your ssd (boot drive).

Again, for low budget build, really don't recommend worrying about headroom for upgrade later especially "years" later -  you'd essentially be paying for benefits you won't get for years or even never because compatibility can be a b***h.

I'd suggest do a bit more research on CPUs & check out more CPU "gaming" benchmark tests. Take particularly note on how different GPUs bottleneck different CPUs and vice versa.

Get a four-core for certain but there are cheaper four-core alternatives.

If you mainly use your build for gaming, GPU takes priority over CPU.

I'd think the PSU thread already takes into account reliability. Getting good PSU is recommended practise but there's no need to be pedantic about it especially when you budget is limited.

All up to you at the end of the day though.

Cheers

<'><  <'><  <'><

<">{   <">{   <">{

>>>><<<<

>>> "BOOB JOB" <<<

Ryzen 3600
MSI B450m Mortar Max

Silverstone FT03

Koss Sporta 
Windows 10 Pro

>>>><<<<

1 minute ago, LjjlijJ said:

Wasn't saying use hdd instead of ssd. I was saying use hdd for "storage", which will help preserve your ssd (boot drive).

Again, for low budget build, really don't recommend worrying about headroom for upgrade later especially "years" later -  you'd essentially be paying for benefits you won't get for years or even never because compatibility can be a b***h.

I'd suggest do a bit more research & check out more CPU "gaming" benchmark tests. Get a four-core for certain but there are cheaper four-core alternatives.

If you mainly use your build for gaming, GPU takes priority over CPU.

All up to you at the end of the day though.

Cheers

Thanks dude!
tbh i already have researched quite a bit on this topic. I dont think i will change my decision but i will give it more time just to be sure.. Thanks for your inputs though.
The main thing is I dont game a lot right now because on my pc it is not an enjoyable task xD. So i am not sure how much ill explore and enjoy gaming. But i know for certain that I will play some of my favourites and those are generally cpu bound like modded minecraft and csgo. I just want to get 60fps if I try other games and I think this cpu + gpu will be enough. I am not one to play the latest and greatest most demanding of games.

Cheers

1 minute ago, Aman7 said:

Thanks dude!
tbh i already have researched quite a bit on this topic. I dont think i will change my decision but i will give it more time just to be sure.. Thanks for your inputs though.
The main thing is I dont game a lot right now because on my pc it is not an enjoyable task xD. So i am not sure how much ill explore and enjoy gaming. But i know for certain that I will play some of my favourites and those are generally cpu bound like modded minecraft and csgo. I just want to get 60fps if I try other games and I think this cpu + gpu will be enough. I am not one to play the latest and greatest most demanding of games.

Cheers

👍

PS edited my original reply just FYI

<'><  <'><  <'><

<">{   <">{   <">{

>>>><<<<

>>> "BOOB JOB" <<<

Ryzen 3600
MSI B450m Mortar Max

Silverstone FT03

Koss Sporta 
Windows 10 Pro

>>>><<<<

13 minutes ago, LjjlijJ said:

👍

PS edited my original reply just FYI

You mean this?

1 hour ago, LjjlijJ said:

Just so you know for me m.2. and sata are the same price, weird?
aslo i am so confused by ssd naming. like i get sata is the old gen which is slower but 2.5 and m.2. and nvme all seem confusing and are used interchangeably. sometimes i have even heard m.2. sata.... Lol

as for hdd, i have a 500gb one like i said. and i am going for the 3200 ram ...1 8gb for now and later(in some months) 1 more.

24 minutes ago, Aman7 said:

You mean this?

Just so you know for me m.2. and sata are the same price, weird?
aslo i am so confused by ssd naming. like i get sata is the old gen which is slower but 2.5 and m.2. and nvme all seem confusing and are used interchangeably. sometimes i have even heard m.2. sata.... Lol

m.2 is a form factor.

sata is an actual data transfer interface which includes the sata protocol and the sata form factor.

nvme is a data transfer interface protocol, and it works with the pcie interface protocal to deliver data.

a 2.5" sata ssd uses the sata protocol and the sata form factor (i.e. the full sata package).

an m.2 sata ssd uses the sata protocol and the m.2 form factoe.

the above two would have the same performance because they both use the sata protocol.

an m.2 nvme ssd uses the nvme protocol, the pcie protocol and the m.2 form factor, which can deliver higher "sequential" speeds than sata ssd.

there are also ssds that use the pcie protocol and pcie form factor and cost thousands, which have even faster sequential speeds.

in real life gaming you'll barely experience any noticeable difference between the different ssds. i seem to remember linus has a video on this which you can try and find if interested.

<'><  <'><  <'><

<">{   <">{   <">{

>>>><<<<

>>> "BOOB JOB" <<<

Ryzen 3600
MSI B450m Mortar Max

Silverstone FT03

Koss Sporta 
Windows 10 Pro

>>>><<<<