Crumbling leather headphone band. What to do?

So i haven't been the best in leather maintenance and the headband of my Sennheiser PX 360 BT is crumbling (see photo below, the process has even worsened since i took the photo). What can i do in order to stop it? Unlike the hear pads, the head band isn't swapable.

The solution shouldn't be too ghetto like duct tape around the head band, but can be cost.... efficient. ;)

who cares...

Cut the toe of a sock and slide it over to the headband.

If that's too ghetto for you then see if you can peel the headband padding off somehow and go buy some sort of padding.

Have a look at bike helmet pads.

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

Cut the toe of a sock and slide it over to the headband.

If that's too ghetto for you then see if you can peel the headband padding off somehow and go buy some sort of padding.

Have a look at bike helmet pads.

Thought about peeiling it off, to do a kinda fresh start over. But I'm a little scared that it will get much worse. Have you done that before? I am terrible at stitching. :D

who cares...

Thought about peeiling it off, to do a kinda fresh start over. But I'm a little scared that it will get much worse. Have you done that before? I am terrible at stitching. :D

Na haven't done anything like that before.

If it's still within warranty, then take it back.

On a couple of my headphones (that don't have removable headband) they have screws. So maybe you could unscrew the headband piece and (i doubt it) find a replacement.

But you may have to get creative and make your own solution.

By the looks of things.....the pads kind of look like they are just stuck on.

So I have a feeling they could be just ripped off.

So what's the worst that could happen? If the padding is already destroyed, then it can't get any worse.

Can you upload close-ups of the padding and where it connects to the headband. (just to make sure)

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

hold on....

http://headphonespares.sennheiser.co.uk/wireless-headphones/px-360-bt

check that out

you can buy the headband. xD

Na haven't done anything like that before.

If it's still within warranty, then take it back.

On a couple of my headphones (that don't have removable headband) they have screws. So maybe you could unscrew the headband piece and (i doubt it) find a replacement.

But you may have to get creative and make your own solution.

By the looks of things.....the pads kind of look like they are just stuck on.

So I have a feeling they could be just ripped off.

So what's the worst that could happen? If the padding is already destroyed, then it can't get any worse.

Can you upload close-ups of the padding and where it connects to the headband. (just to make sure)

It's not in warranty anymore. I already bought ear pads for 50 whopping €, so i want to keep these headphones for a while, maybe as secondary headphones for on the go later on.

As you can see in the photos below, the headband consists of two leather parts that are stitched together. One on top with the Sennheiser logo, and one on the bottom with kind of a softer leather with the padding. That is wrapped around the metal band. That sandwich ends up in these plastic things, which can be unscrewed. Those plastic things also hold the mechanism for adjusting the headphone size (i guess). 

You can apperantly order a seperate headband for a whopping 66 british pounds (prolly 70€) http://headphonespares.sennheiser.co.uk/wireless-headphones/px-360-bt

With the ear pads, i understand it, they need to be comfy and fresh but the head band repair will for sure not cost more than 10€. :D

Now i just need to find a replacement guide. I have looked before but didn't find anything. The difficulty is that many other Sennheiser headphones use the same principle of head band/ ear pads, some are even technically the same headphones w.r. to some features (PX 360, MM 500, MM 550-X), so you can't easily find THAT ONE guide. :D

who cares...

I can't seen any of the pictures.

I don't think it's me because I can see pictures that other people post.

I can't seen any of the pictures.

I don't think it's me because I can see pictures that other people post.

I forgot them  :wacko:  :ph34r:

post-31147-0-80525400-1393183871_thumb.j

post-31147-0-70469500-1393183873_thumb.j

who cares...

ohhhh....

ok

yeah... i think the padding is apart of the headband. so you won't be able to rip it off.

The image I was looking at from google were of different headphones. xD

You could unscrew those screws and see what you can do to replace the padding part of the headband.

ohhhh....

ok

yeah... i think the padding is apart of the headband. so you won't be able to rip it off.

The image I was looking at from google were of different headphones. xD

You could unscrew those screws and see what you can do to replace the padding part of the headband.

Yes. I think what you can do is unscrew them and then rip em completley off. It will be difficult though to get a different headphone band on there (even the original one) unless there are more screws to completeley take it apart and unplugg the cable that's also routed up there. I am thinking about the tape method again. jk :D

who cares...

Same thing's happening to my M50's. I'm considering just getting a triple-wide roll of black electrical tape and just covering the underside, but I'm worried it'll make the headphones awfully uncomfortable on my noggin. I might just give up and wait for it to ruin itself, at which point I'd decide it's a good time to buy a new pair.

See if its covered under warranty, the faux leather shit on my g930's earcups and headband was shredded after about 12/18 months, looked into it and a few people were having similar problems and said they just returned them through warranty and got brand new headsets. Worked for me as well.

Same thing's happening to my M50's. I'm considering just getting a triple-wide roll of black electrical tape and just covering the underside, but I'm worried it'll make the headphones awfully uncomfortable on my noggin. I might just give up and wait for it to ruin itself, at which point I'd decide it's a good time to buy a new pair.

I have a full rolls of black el. tape but i am worried that my hair will stick to the sides of it and it will just be uncomfy in general. :D

See if its covered under warranty, the faux leather shit on my g930's earcups and headband was shredded after about 12/18 months, looked into it and a few people were having similar problems and said they just returned them through warranty and got brand new headsets. Worked for me as well.

I already asked for warranty when i changed the ear pads. I was 1 month over. -.-

who cares...

Note of warning before you buy replacement headband. I bought one for my HD555 (plastic parts are cracked) along with new cable and earcups. Changing cable and cups was easy but for changing headband you need to remove cables between band and cups and resolder them. If you aren't used to electrical work, that can be bit scary since those wires are tiny.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Note of warning before you buy replacement headband. I bought one for my HD555 (plastic parts are cracked) along with new cable and earcups. Changing cable and cups was easy but for changing headband you need to remove cables between band and cups and resolder them. If you aren't used to electrical work, that can be bit scary since those wires are tiny.

I do have soldering skills but that's exactly what i was wondering. How to i get the ned headband on there? :D I don't want to cut my wire just do get the headband on and then resolder it. Never touch a running system. (if you don't kinow exactly what you're doing)

who cares...

I do have soldering skills but that's exactly what i was wondering. How to i get the ned headband on there? :D I don't want to cut my wire just do get the headband on and then resolder it. Never touch a running system. (if you don't kinow exactly what you're doing)

If its like one I bought, the whole headband will be changed. Not just leather part. Like http://www.custom-cable.co.uk/images/detailed/4/20121103_135930Webshot.jpg So you open cups, remove padding, remove shroud, unscrew some screws and thats pretty much it. I went that far to check how wires were connected. I thought that they were just tighten with clips like cable was.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

If its like one I bought, the whole headband will be changed. Not just leather part. Like http://www.custom-cable.co.uk/images/detailed/4/20121103_135930Webshot.jpg So you open cups, remove padding, remove shroud, unscrew some screws and thats pretty much it. I went that far to check how wires were connected. I thought that they were just tighten with clips like cable was.

That looks cool. But even if mine were like that, it wouldn't be worth the 70€ for a replacement headband. The ear pads were already 50€ and for 120 i could've gotten better headphones. :D I want to keep them as some kinda outdoor/secondar headphones, so they will be replaced sometime in the future.

who cares...

That looks cool. But even if mine were like that, it wouldn't be worth the 70€ for a replacement headband. The ear pads were already 50€ and for 120 i could've gotten better headphones. :D I want to keep them as some kinda outdoor/secondar headphones, so they will be replaced sometime in the future.

I had same thinking. Except new HD555 costs 160€, I could get replacements for 70€. Totally worth 3+ years more use age.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

@Hoppa

I have another idea. How about spraying plasti dip over the whole inner side of the head band? Sounds terrible at first glance but could turn out good. I don't have experiences with plasti dip, i hope it is not sticky when dry, but rather smooth.

That stuff would at least not rip instantly.

who cares...

@Hoppa

I have another idea. How about spraying plasti dip over the whole inner side of the head band? Sounds terrible at first glance but could turn out good. I don't have experiences with plasti dip, i hope it is not sticky when dry, but rather smooth.

That stuff would at least not rip instantly.

yeah, sounds like an idea.

I'm pretty sure it's smooth when dry. I've seen people plasti dip their whole car and it looks awesome and smooth.

Not sure on durability though. But I think it's tough enough that you'd have to pick at it to start peeling it off.

And I think it works best on hard surfaces.

About the 70 euro for the headband.... unfortunately such a small amount of people would actually need to buy that part, so Sennheiser can charge whatever the hell they want for it. 

If your current headband only lasted you just over a year, there's no point in getting a new one.

And sadly this happens with heaps of other stuff like proprietary cables etc.

yeah, sounds like an idea.

I'm pretty sure it's smooth when dry. I've seen people plasti dip their whole car and it looks awesome and smooth.

Not sure on durability though. But I think it's tough enough that you'd have to pick at it to start peeling it off.

And I think it works best on hard surfaces.

About the 70 euro for the headband.... unfortunately such a small amount of people would actually need to buy that part, so Sennheiser can charge whatever the hell they want for it. 

If your current headband only lasted you just over a year, there's no point in getting a new one.

And sadly this happens with heaps of other stuff like proprietary cables etc.

I might open a new thread for the plasti dip idea. I could ofc google how plasti dip feels, but i think nobody has yet used it for that purpose. :D

70€ is a shame. I couldn't find chinese fakes on ebay either. I think about selling them right now. :D The ear cups are still fresh (2 weeks old) they still sound clear, the only down is the headband. Maybe that's a good idea. I've tinkered with the Phillips Fidelio X1 for a while.

who cares...