H500M Fan Layout

Hello all,

I was thinking about getting the CoolerMaster H500M for my next build but I have a question about cooling. If I replaced the two 200mm fans at the front with three 140mm fans would that negatively affect cooling at all? I know the included fans are a significant reason why people want to go for it but I'm wanting to create a build with minimal RGB and I would prefer the aesthetic of black fans.

Thanks!

20 minutes ago, Luke Murtagh said:
If I replaced the two 200mm fans at the front with three 140mm fans would that negatively affect cooling at all?

Nope. Cooling will still be very good with three 120mm or two three 140mm fans (the case cannot support three 140mm fans at the front)

Edited by TVwazhere
Read the wrong part of the Spec sheet

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

2 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Nope. Cooling will still be very good with three 120mm or two 140mm fans (the case cannot support three 140mm fans at the front)

Oh, the CoolerMaster page for the H500M lists support for three 140mm front fans. Even so, I'm more than happy going for three 120mm fans if needed. 

Any recommendation as to what fans to use? I was thinking Noctuas. I know they are quite expensive, but they seem like great performers. I believe Noctua used to make 200mm Chromax fans but I can't seem to find them in stock anywhere. I suppose they might be a discontinued product line.

1 minute ago, Luke Murtagh said:

Oh, the CoolerMaster page for the H500M lists support for three 140mm front fans. Even so, I'm more than happy going for three 120mm fans if needed. 

Whoops I read Top not front. (They usually put Front first before Top, thats my bad)

image.png.c00b8d10a3a1ef10549d0dd01931636a.png

https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/cases/mid-tower/mastercase-h500m/#Specifications

1 minute ago, Luke Murtagh said:

Any recommendation as to what fans to use? I was thinking Noctuas. I know they are quite expensive, but they seem like great performers. I believe Noctua used to make 200mm Chromax fans but I can't seem to find them in stock anywhere. I suppose they might be a discontinued product line.

They do make 200mm chromax fans, but you're not the only one looking for them. 

(Must be an issue with production?)

I'm not the best when it comes to Fan choice, but my opinion is that Noctua, be quiet! and Noiseblocker make some of the best performing and quiet fans around. Corsair's ML (mag lev) fans are also pretty good. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Cool, thanks for the help and advice. I was also considering the ML fans as they seem to perform nearly identically (if not a bit better) than Noctuas. The only thing that was putting me off is the AIO I want to use (Ryujin 360) come with three 120mm Noctuas, and I wanted to keep a similar appearance across all of my fans. If I have the budget I may very well consider buying some extra ML fans to replace the Noctuas if I decide to use them.

5 minutes ago, Luke Murtagh said:

Cool, thanks for the help and advice. I was also considering the ML fans as they seem to perform nearly identically (if not a bit better) than Noctuas. 

This is because they perform the same or better, but at a much higher noise level (as high as 37dBa per fan). 

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Fans/Magnetic-Levitation-Fans/ml-pro-config/p/CO-9050040-WW#tab-tech-specs

Their RGB fans spin way slower and are 25dBA, but dont perform as something like the NF-A12x25's (which are planned to have a chromax release soon-ish)

Thanks for the advice. One other question, and I realise this is somewhat off-topic now, but what is your impression of the Lian Li O-11 Dynamic XL? Its the other case I was considering. I know its designed for watercooling but, at least according to GamersNexus, it seems to perform pretty well. I would be putting a 10900K in and an AIO for cooling it if I went for it.

3 hours ago, Luke Murtagh said:

Thanks for the advice. One other question, and I realise this is somewhat off-topic now, but what is your impression of the Lian Li O-11 Dynamic XL? Its the other case I was considering. I know its designed for watercooling but, at least according to GamersNexus, it seems to perform pretty well. I would be putting a 10900K in and an AIO for cooling it if I went for it.

The XL is great. It's way overkill for an AIO and an air cooled GPU, but if you ever one day watercool, then it will have some of the best mainstream case rad support on the market. 

3 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

The XL is great. It's way overkill for an AIO and an air cooled GPU, but if you ever one day watercool, then it will have some of the best mainstream case rad support on the market. 

I'm a few months away from this upgrade anyway, as I'm waiting for the new Nvidia cards to release, as I've heard leaks suggesting the 3080TI is going to be quite an upgrade even from the 2080TI, but I'll absolutely keep the H500M and Dynamic XL in mind. Thanks for all your help!