create a privat lan with a public lan

Hi everyone

We have a shared wifi provided by the city in our office building. When I connect to the Wifi it redirects me to a webpage where I can log in with my phone number. The cool thing is, that I have to do this only once per MAC-Address. So far so good. The issue is that I obviously can't connect my shared devices like a printer to this network. 

Now the question: Can I connect a second router to the public access point to use its internet connection in my own private network? I want to connect all my shared devices and computers to the same private network and want to be able to go online. I also have access to the LAN ports of the public access point.

My first idea was to use a raspberry pi to login to the public wifi and share it to my router, but I think there has to be a nicer option...

Thanks for any help

Johnny

36 minutes ago, johnny_gruber said:

Now the question: Can I connect a second router to the public access point to use its internet connection in my own private network? I want to connect all my shared devices and computers to the same private network and want to be able to go online. I also have access to the LAN ports of the public access point.

Yes, you should be able to just connect a router, set WiFi up on it and connect a laptop, phone or whatever to that router. Then, when you try access the Internet, it'll still require you to log into it, but since your traffic goes through the router, the login-credentials will be associated with the router's MAC-address instead and it should just work from there on. One could also possibly make a curl-script or similar to automatically log in, if it detects the city's system asking for credentials again.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that you could always also just call the city and ask them to whitelist the new router's WAN-side MAC-address. They are quite possibly willing to do that for you, if you explain your situation.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

ok I see. My router I'm using is probably too old. I can't connect it with a different wifi. But I'll test it with a newer one and I will also test it with the network sharing feature of the raspberry pi.
Tanks a lot!

36 minutes ago, johnny_gruber said:

ok I see. My router I'm using is probably too old. I can't connect it with a different wifi. But I'll test it with a newer one and I will also test it with the network sharing feature of the raspberry pi.
Tanks a lot!

consider custom firmware like openwrt which is just linux

Please give kudos if you find someone's reply helpful 😃

<'><  <'><  <'><

In case you wonder about my forum name, it's either Cthulhu or two dwarves about to make out ;)

Now that you've seen it, can you unsee it?

<">{   <">{   <">{

Get motion sickness playing FPS =(

" ({) "   " ({) "   " ({) "

"You so ugly you scaring away the fish!"

>>>><<<<

>>> "BOOB JOB" <<<

Ryzen 3600
MSI B450m Mortar Max
2 x Corsair low clearance DDR4 8G 3200MHz C16

GeForce GTX 780 Ti (temporarily downgraded)
Silverstone FT03
Samsung EVO 2.5" SSD 500G (boot) + WD SN550 1TB (game lib)

WD Elements 3.5" HDD 1.5T (storage; pulled from an old external drive)
Seasonic SS-660XPII 660W 80Plus Platinum Ver II
DeepCool Gammaxx GT (CPU)
Silverstone AB120R (intake)
2 x Silverstone AP81 (intake)
Silversrone FN121-P (exhaust)

AG AGON AG323QCXE (What a hidden gem)

NiZ Plum Electro-capacitive Keyboard
Logitech G703 Hero Lightspeed

Koss Sporta 
Windows 10 Pro

>>>><<<<

Linksys WRT1900ACS (rocking OpenWrt)

WD Elements 5T external HDD (network backup drive)