CPU and motherboard suggestions

Hi All,

I'm currently in a tricky situation. 

Because of lockdown, ive decided to do a passion project to keep my spirits high. I'm looking at building a new Nas to replace my current Qnap Nas.

The Nas that i am building will be a home media server (maybe a plex server) whilst experimenting with some virtualisation (perhaps even running a Minecraft server). I've already brought some stuff for the build as ive found that the Fractual Node 804 is a fantastic case for a Nas as it has room for up to 10 3.5inch hard drives.

I'm looking for CPU and motherboard suggestions. There's no budget and It can be as high end as needed but needs a micro atx form factor

The reason I'm in a tricky situation is because I'm in the awkward stage where new CPUs and motherboards releases are coming out in the coming months.

Appreciate any feedback

Many thanks,

DaButterGamer

3 minutes ago, DaButterGamer said:

Hi All,

I'm currently in a tricky situation. 

Because of lockdown, ive decided to do a passion project to keep my spirits high. I'm looking at building a new Nas to replace my current Qnap Nas.

The Nas that i am building will be a home media server (maybe a plex server) whilst experimenting with some virtualisation (perhaps even running a Minecraft server). I've already brought some stuff for the build as ive found that the Fractual Node 804 is a fantastic case for a Nas as it has room for up to 10 3.5inch hard drives.

I'm looking for CPU and motherboard suggestions. There's no budget and It can be as high end as needed but needs a micro atx form factor

The reason I'm in a tricky situation is because I'm in the awkward stage where new CPUs and motherboards releases are coming out in the coming months.

Appreciate any feedback

Many thanks,

DaButterGamer

Just a tiny advice.. Last time i heard someone say "no budged, it can be as high as needed" that guy got slapped in the face with a router for a million dollars.. Be careful what you wish for... 

Anyways! micro-ATX equals to one socket so any CPU with high clock speed. And as most people recomend these days.. 32GB of RAM. Yeah 16 will do.. But depends on your server load..

You can simply think about these kind of system as a average gaming pc.

If you go money to spend, and want nice hardware, look at the xeon D parts. Low power, built in goodies like 10gbe and sas controllers and impi, and lots of cpu power. Here is one example https://www.supermicro.com/en/products/motherboard/X10SDV-7TP4F

Anouther option is a asrock rack x470d4u. am4 with impi and ecc support.