Second PC for stream encoding

I know this topic isn't that popular like game benchmarks, but I'm kinda curious about streaming for a long time from technical perspective and I didn't found enough information about second pc for encoding stream in OBS. Like, I understand most of videoediting software are relying on a core count and core clocks, but it's not that simple as it might be. I know that streaming on single setup can cause frame drops, which is especially important for players with high refresh rate games.

For example.
I have a friend that have 2nd pc with ryzen 7 1700x for this purpose. He is streaming in 900p60 6000kb/s with a medium encoding preset on a Twitch via OBS Studio. As I understand CPU isn't fully loaded while streaming, so the quality presets might rely on architectural features and core clock speeds. Also, some video related programms like the Adobe Premier might have a limit for core utilising. I really interested in best of the best and best bang for a buck options for performance / price. For example, if OBS couldn't utilise all 32 threads of 3950x, it's still might be a better option without SMT (AMD hypertreading) on high clock speeds. Or if benefits from intel architecture might be higher with lower count of cores.

Does anyone have good tests which is pretty recent?

UPD: He switched from 1700x to 2700

Well dual system streaming is for most purposes a thing of the past due to now having access to 8 core cpu's on the cheap and higher core counts for a really good price. Also gpu encoding is a thing and well basically you won't get fps drops if you know what you are doing.

9 minutes ago, Scra1 said:

I know this topic isn't that popular like game benchmarks, but I'm kinda curious about streaming for a long time from technical perspective and I didn't found enough information about second pc for encoding stream in OBS. Like, I understand most of videoediting software are relying on a core count and core clocks, but it's not that simple as it might be. I know that streaming on single setup can cause frame drops, which is especially important for players with high refresh rate games.

For example.
I have a friend that have 2nd pc with ryzen 7 1700x for this purpose. He streaming in 900p60 6000kb/s with a medium encoding preset on a Twitch via OBS Studio. As I understand CPU isn't fully loaded while streaming, so the quality presets might rely on architectural features and core clock speeds. Also, some video related programms like the Adobe Premier might have a limit for core utilising. I really interested in best of the best and best bang for a buck options for performance / price. For example, if OBS couldn't utilise all 32 threads of 3950x, it's still might be a better option without SMT (AMD hypertreading) on high clock speeds. Or if benefits from intel architecture might be higher with lower count of cores.

Does anyone have good tests which is pretty recent?

If you build one high-performance system then you should not have any noticeable frame rate drops, although you may be able to get better price to performance overall if you build 2 systems (one for transcoding and the other to host the game). Ryzen has better multi-threaded performance and only slightly worse performance in single-threaded applications, overall if you were to have one system for gaming + streaming then I would go for the Ryzen 7 3800X.

Are you planning to use CPU or GPU encoding, and if you would like a recommendation for a streaming/gaming system build, then please include your budget and what country you are shopping from within this thread.

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

My friend was streaming on one PC with 8700k GTX1080 with CPU encodig, he had a 240+ framerate in Overwatch (for example), but while streaming his framerate dropped to 100 and encoding on GPU wasn't good enough in quality. Also, encoding with GPU was worse than CPU in terms of video quality. I know that RTX series have updated NVENC x264 codec, but it's still behind than a CPU encoding. I am personaly not looking for an upgrade. Im just interested in performance benefits and splitting the tasks on different systems.

For example, you might prepare your stream settings for one light FPS game, but same settings with heavy AAA game might cause unstable results, so you need to balance and troubleshoot settings again, which is not what you and your audience would want to.

(acciedently duplicated previous post and can't delete it, sorry)