Should i get a HDD OR SSD

So i already have a gaming rig i built a few months ago which at the time i thought a 500gb ssd m.2 would be enough but i soon found out how easy its filled up considering most games take up 50-80gb these days (jesus). So my question is i really like to get as much storage as possible and ofcourse that means a hard disk but 2 problems:

1) im wondering how much sound do HDDs these days produce, will it be noticable while gaming or just in general? My pc isnt a silent build so you can hear the fans but id say its pretty quiet when not  under load (30-35db). so im wondering if a hdd makes a lot of noise, also does a 7200rpm one produce more sound than a 5400rpm? 
2) second problem is kind of my fault and dumb but when they were building my pc the removed the little metal slot where my hdd supposed to be sloted just so they can route the cables in the case, after that i have no idea where it went, im pretty sure they have it but they say otherwise. Regardless can i just leave my hdd inside and not worry? Or can i just tie it with some wire or something.

Other than that i wondered if maybe a 500gb sata ssd is worth it more in my case or should i just go with a 2tb hdd, i really dont want to have extra sounds that i dont want but i still want storage arghhh. Opinions??

if money isn't a problem, i'd get a 1TB ssd (also SATA), but a 7200rpm 1/2TB does it job for games. obviously, loading times are longer and the noise is more but they are cheap..

A 7200RPM HDD for additional storage isn't all that bad, it certainly won't be as fast as your M2 SSD, but it won't exactly be slow either, and you'll get a great deal more storage for the money. The sound of the HDD isn't all that noticeable, in my opinion, it definitely won't impact your experience, especially if you're wearing headphones, all I get from mine is the occasional squeak as I'm loading a game up off it. As for the slot you spoke about, I think (don't quote me on this) depending on the case you should be able to simply just rest it on the bottom if you haven't got the slot

Desktop - i5-9600KF @4.8GHz all core, MSI Z390-A PRO, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz, MSI GTX 1660S OC 6GB, WD Blue 500GB M.2 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM HDD

Laptop - ASUS ZenBook 14 with ScreenPad, i7-1165G7, Xe iGPU 96EU, 16GB Octa-Channel 4200MHz, MX450 2GB, 512GB SSD with 32GB Optane

Old Laptop 1 - HP Pavilion 15, A10-9600P, R5 iGPU, 8GB, R8 M445DX, 2TB HDD

Old Laptop 2 - HP Pavilion 15 TouchSmart, i3-3217U, Intel HD 4000, 4GB, 1TB HDD

iPad 2018 - 128GB

iPhone XR - 128GB

1 hour ago, bengeoghegan11 said:

A 7200RPM HDD for additional storage isn't all that bad, it certainly won't be as fast as your M2 SSD, but it won't exactly be slow either, and you'll get a great deal more storage for the money.

Yes, but make sure that it is a 7200rpm HDD, not 5400. Yes the 5400 may be cheep, but it will be SOOOOOOOO slow.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

2 hours ago, bengeoghegan11 said:

A 7200RPM HDD for additional storage isn't all that bad, it certainly won't be as fast as your M2 SSD, but it won't exactly be slow either, and you'll get a great deal more storage for the money. The sound of the HDD isn't all that noticeable, in my opinion, it definitely won't impact your experience, especially if you're wearing headphones, all I get from mine is the occasional squeak as I'm loading a game up off it. As for the slot you spoke about, I think (don't quote me on this) depending on the case you should be able to simply just rest it on the bottom if you haven't got the slot

So you reckon i should just put the hdd on the bottom of the case and it wont make any noise or rattling sounds? I dont care about looks as long as it works properly and makes no noise, heres a pic of the bottom of the case.

image.jpg

2 hours ago, Its_MrMa said:

if money isn't a problem, i'd get a 1TB ssd (also SATA), but a 7200rpm 1/2TB does it job for games. obviously, loading times are longer and the noise is more but they are cheap..

Thanks yeah i think 1tb ssd are a bit expensive at the moment.

31 minutes ago, NewbieGamer69 said:

So you reckon i should just put the hdd on the bottom of the case and it wont make any noise or rattling sounds? I dont care about looks as long as it works properly and makes no noise, heres a pic of the bottom of the case.

image.jpg

Yeah, I'm assuming that it'll be alright, but if you can try and secure it to the bottom of the case, as viking_power said you could get some rubber feet to go underneath it, they'd absorb a bit of the sound and vibration, it'd also make it more stable too. If you can though it could be worth it to try and find where your slot went. Just a thought, but you might even be able to buy a drive caddy on Amazon or somewhere that you could screw into the bottom of the case to keep the HDD in place

Desktop - i5-9600KF @4.8GHz all core, MSI Z390-A PRO, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz, MSI GTX 1660S OC 6GB, WD Blue 500GB M.2 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM HDD

Laptop - ASUS ZenBook 14 with ScreenPad, i7-1165G7, Xe iGPU 96EU, 16GB Octa-Channel 4200MHz, MX450 2GB, 512GB SSD with 32GB Optane

iPad 2018 - 128GB

iPhone XR - 128GB

If you have the money sure stretch out for an SSD you cant go wrong but for the cost a hard drive will do what you need just fine as long as its 7200 rpm

1 hour ago, bengeoghegan11 said:

Yeah, I'm assuming that it'll be alright, but if you can try and secure it to the bottom of the case, as viking_power said you could get some rubber feet to go underneath it, they'd absorb a bit of the sound and vibration, it'd also make it more stable too. If you can though it could be worth it to try and find where your slot went. Just a thought, but you might even be able to buy a drive caddy on Amazon or somewhere that you could screw into the bottom of the case to keep the HDD in place

Yeah that seems to be the most logical thing to do with the rubber padding under the hdd if i put it just on the bottom, but ill try to find a drive caddy like you said.

19 minutes ago, NewbieGamer69 said:

Yeah that seems to be the most logical thing to do with the rubber padding under the hdd if i put it just on the bottom, but ill try to find a drive caddy like you said.

The rubber feet was a brilliant suggestion. The issue with a drive caddy may be that they're large, fiddly, OEM things like this ( https://www.amazon.co.uk/9-5mm-SATA-Hard-Drive-Caddy/dp/B01EY50UL0/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=hdd+caddy&qid=1589838304&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExR05VMVdGVDVSOEVXJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwOTcwNzY5Mk9FTU5RWTFEMldCTCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMjg2MjQ3MUtBR043SzdFTENKViZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU= ), or just made for external HDDs.

However, just as I'm typing this I did find this; https://www.amazon.co.uk/Valuegist-Internal-Mounting-Bracket-Adapter/dp/B07GLSL6DF/ref=sr_1_21_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=hdd+caddy&qid=1589838389&sr=8-21-spons&psc=1&smid=A3OPC6HA4OOTV0&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyVlpCT1pNVTBUMzQ0JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNzAzOTk5UjVGSFBQRlJCMTgyJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA1MTE0MDAxMTFYQlNCOEI0Q0wzJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYnRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ== . It looks like a fairly decent option and seems to come with screws, it's not a funny OEM thing either, looks like it could just simply be screwed into the bottom of your case and is very cheap (at least in pounds anyway)

iPad 2018 - 128GB

iPhone XR - 128GB

2 hours ago, bengeoghegan11 said:

Thats pretty good what a lucky find i couldnt find that sort of thing forever, last question for today would be if you can tell me between westerndigital 2tb blue hdd and seagate barracuda 2tb green, which one would be a better buy, they are the same price for me.

6 hours ago, TheTechWizardThatNeedsHelp said:

Yes, but make sure that it is a 7200rpm HDD, not 5400. Yes the 5400 may be cheep, but it will be SOOOOOOOO slow.

Between western digital blue 2tb and seagate barracuda 2tb green, which would you go for

28 minutes ago, NewbieGamer69 said:

Between western digital blue 2tb and seagate barracuda 2tb green, which would you go for

Whichever one I google and find out that one PARKS its heads less than the other one...

Then that one.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

55 minutes ago, NewbieGamer69 said:

barracuda 2tb green, which would you go for

WB blue. I have a 1tb and it's great.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler