Your opinion on marijuana

Ergroilnin

Hello,

I am curious about your personal opinion on marijuana, its effects, legality, political view (I know that political talk is not usually accepted here, but when it comes to something like this, some pointview about politics are definitely on point and should not be taken negatively just because it can be considered politics).

I normally would not ask this in forums like these, even in off topic, but since LMG is situated in Canada, that relatively recently basically made pot legal, I think it is fine.

My personal view is that marijuana is still way too demonized in 2020, while other legal drugs are taken as normal, while they certainly should not be...

Personally I enjoy marijuana more than I do alcohol and definitely more than tobacco.

But alcohol and tobacco are legal basically everywhere.

Let's have some quick comparison (and I am just trying to make a point from my own point of view, I definitelly am not trying to turn this into black and white or right and wrong).

Smoking:
Tobacco: pretty much does not alter your immediate functioning (other than calming down the addiction), is commonly smoked say 10-20 times a day averege for most smokers, is legal, is "organic", causes cancer, has basically 0 health, causes physical addiction.

Marijuana: Does alter you thinking (slows you down, makes you more mellow), average marijuana smoker will smoke few times a month, one joint at a time (I am not talking about potheads, those are to me in different level), surely causes cancer as well (but considering the frequency of the smoking, it does way less so), is illegal in most countries, is also "organic", actually is known to have some health benefits (not for usual people, but THC is known by studies to help eleviate pain, alzheimer's, epilepsy, etc), does not cause physical addiction (unless having extremely high level THC content, but at that point it acts about the same as any other hard drug, definitely not normal usage though)

Drinking:

Alcohol: be it beer, wine, cider, hard liquor, we are still talking about alcohol and alcohol causes damage to liver, lowers our bounds, makes us more aggresive, more daring, is legal, it is known that prohibition does not work against it, makes us more sociable (though that is still the same effect as the alleviated aggresivenes), simply it makes us ignore our boundaries.

Marijuana: can't say, I guess there is stuff like milk infused with marijuana, since it is bound to fat cells or whatever. Never had anything like that and for most part, it is not the common way to use it anyway, but chemically it is the same, so other than taking longer to ingest and longer to get rid of, the effects should be nearly identical to smoking it.

Drugs:

Pills (now, I am simply talking about stuff like sleeping pills, xanax and stuff like that): If your doctor deems it is okay, they will prescribe those to you, and what they do is? Lower your attention, make you mellow, let you sleep easier. They are completely legal though. And the worse part is, that they are also cause physical addiction (I feel like this is important, because when I was prescribed these, I did not know). And what do they help with? Anxiety and sleeping problems.

Marijuana: IIRC there is no THC pill out there, but again in comparison, marijuana also helps to alleviate anxiety and makes it easier for you to sleep, but it does not make you physically addicted.

Now, again, I am no pothead, I do partake 2 to 4 times a year basically, but what I am mostly against is the demonizing of marijuana. Because it does not simply make any sense to me. Obviously in my arguments above, I went with the ones that mostly were in line with my own thinking and I am completely open to other opinions, since this is meant to be a discussion after all.

-= Locked =-

As much as a positive and constructive discussion about this could possibly take place, this is a Tech Forum and not a pharma forum and this particular subject could result in some inflammatory and political derailing that just wont be fitting with this forums CS.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER