GTX 580 Ubuntu trouble

Hi guys,

I've been running Windows forever, but since my PC died and I've replaced the aulty components, I realised that I have lost my windows install disk.

For now I have installed Ubuntu 13.10 on it. As soon as I log in, it freezes and then crashes. An error called GPU lockup is shown. I have tried to install nVidia divers but that doesn't seen to work.

I know that Ubuntu doesn't like gtx 580's, I have read a couple of threads, but I can't find any fixes...

I have also tried to install 12.04.4 and that has the same problems...

Does anybody know a fix for the problem?

"Have you tried turning it off and on again?"

A little off-topic but if you know your Windows 7 key you can just download a .iso of Windows 7 and burn it to a disc or make a bootable USB-stick.

Yea I haven't got the key

A little off-topic but if you know your Windows 7 key you can just download a .iso of Windows 7 and burn it to a disc or make a bootable USB-stick.

His disc would most likely contain the key as well on a sticker or something like that.

His disc would most likely contain the key as well on a sticker or something like that.

That is what a mean, if you buy a OEM copy of Windows it will come with a sticker that the manual says that you HAVE to put it on the PC.

That is what a mean, if you buy a OEM copy of Windows it will come with a sticker that the manual says that you HAVE to put it on the PC.

Reading the manual wasn't on my to do list at the time...

Have you actually read it?

Have you actually read it?

I don't remember exactly where it said that, it may had been under the sticker or around it when it was attached to somewhere in the DVD-case .

Stefano, try booting up without your GPU (just unplug it and run on integrated graphics). I would recommend trying both the Nvidia proprietary and the open-source drivers, and try installing them without the 580 plugged in. You could also try installing the drivers with the card plugged in, but while booting from a live CD/USB instead of your current installation.

[spoiler=My Current PC]AMD FX-8320 @ 4.2 Ghz | Xigmatek Dark Knight Night Hawk II | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | 8GB Adata XPG V2 Silver 1600 Mhz RAM | Gigabyte 3X Windforce GTX 770 4GB @ 1.27 Ghz/7.25 Ghz | Rosewill Hive 550W Bronze PSU | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Samsung Evo 250 GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | ASUS VS239H-P | Razer Deathadder 2013 Partlist

LTT Build-Off Thread: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35226-the-ltt-build-off-thread-no-building-required/

Stefano, try booting up without your GPU (just unplug it and run on integrated graphics). I would recommend trying both the Nvidia proprietary and the open-source drivers, and try installing them without the 580 plugged in. You could also try installing the drivers with the card plugged in, but while booting from a live CD/USB instead of your current installation.

Thanks I will try that.