HDD is not detected anywhere and when connected slows down the bios

Hey, I recently reset my PC and reinstalled windows due to weird fps and resolved the issue. After reinstalling windows I activated windows for free via a YouTube video and think that may have caused a problem in my PC (Could not have, don't have much experience). A few hours ago I restarted my computer and when I did the bios took ages to load and didn't load into my boot ssd. I reinstall windows on my SSD and it works now but my HDD is not detected anywhere not even on the disk manager. When I have my HDD connected to the PC with sata the bios and boot takes really long to happen but once I'm in windows its completely fine. My specs are below and I hope someone can help me, appreciate anything thanks! My HDD also produced a buzzing noise before when I would play high intensity games at max graphics and I assumed it was the GPU, dont know if that makes a difference in analyzing the problem.

Rtx 2060 super

Ryzen 5 3600

Aorus b450 pro wifi

Crucial p1 500 gb

Seagate barracuda 2 tb

G skill trident 16 gb 3600 mhz

Deepcool Da700 power supply

and a gammax 400 cooler

How old is the HDD? Sounds like it could possibly be going out, happens all the time with standard mechanical HDDs especially if they are a bit older. The Windows activation shouldn't have messed with the HDD but it depends on what you did to, I'm assuming, hactivate it. If the HDD is buzzing, slowing the computer down, and not even showing up in disk management it's likely dead or dying, could also be a bad sata cable. You should first install and use HDTunepro or CrystalDiskMark to test the HDD's smrt status, if it shows any errors or bad sectors in the Health section, you will likely want to replace the drive. You can also boot into a portable OS such as Winpe and see if it is visible in there. If it is I would suggest reformatting it, as that can sometimes fix these types of HDD issues.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

10 minutes ago, KnotAiden said:

After reinstalling windows I activated windows for free via a YouTube video and think that may have caused a problem in my PC (Could not have, don't have much experience)

Please don't do this, especially if you ran an executable. Genuine keys are available for $3 on eBay.

10 minutes ago, KnotAiden said:

A few hours ago I restarted my computer and when I did the bios took ages to load and didn't load into my boot ssd.

As shown on page 18 of your manual:

• Using M2A_SOCKET for your SSD (top M.2 slot), ASATA3_0 and ASATA3_1 will be disabled.
  • Using M2B_SOCKET for your SSD (lower M.2 slot), SATA3_2 and SATA3_3 will be disabled.

Make sure you aren't using those SATA ports.

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

17 minutes ago, PorkishPig said:

Genuine keys are available for $3 on eBay.

You do realize that using those cheap keys off of unauthorized distributors is against Microsoft's user agreement terms/conditions for their software and is not considered legitimate/right/fair to use, many times these are licensed for organizations at a discounted rate per copy and NOT  for resale or even bought with stolen payment information (in that case it could even be straight up illegal). Microsoft has the right to disable illegitimately activated Microsoft products, just be responsible and do the right thing by purchasing a copy from Microsoft directly or their authorized distributors and use the software according to the user agreement terms set.

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

Just now, Boomwebsearch said:

You do realize that using those cheap keys off of unauthorized distributors is against Microsoft's user agreement terms/conditions for their software and is not considered legitimate/right/fair to use, many times these are licensed for organizations at a discounted rate per copy and NOT  for resale or even bought with stolen payment information (in that case it could even be straight up illegal). Microsoft has the right to disable illegitimately activated Microsoft products, just be responsible and do the right thing by purchasing a copy from Microsoft directly or their authorized distributors and use the software according to the user agreement terms set.

I am very aware that keys distributed for $3 are not from authorized distributors. AFAIK, you are not breaking the Microsoft License Agreement by purchasing these keys, the reseller is breaking the agreement by selling them.

Do keep in mind that a majority of the keys available on eBay are OEM Windows 7 keys taken from decommissioned machines, not necessarily keys purchased with stolen credit cards. These keys are extremely easy to get ahold of and sell, and are rarely deactivated by Microsoft, though there is always a risk.

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

27 minutes ago, PorkishPig said:

you are not breaking the Microsoft License Agreement by purchasing these keys, the reseller is breaking the agreement by selling them

27 minutes ago, PorkishPig said:

Do keep in mind that a majority of the keys available on eBay are OEM Windows 7 keys taken from decommissioned machines, not necessarily keys purchased with stolen credit cards. These keys are extremely easy to get ahold of and sell, and are rarely deactivated by Microsoft, though there is always a risk

Even if the seller is at fault, don't take advantage of the situation, in the end, when Microsoft finds out that the seller is distributing these keys that were not supposed to be resold, they will be marked as invalid. All other things (besides the use of keys that were knowingly purchased from sellers who used stolen credit cards and disclosed that to the buyer which is plain illegal), can be considered on a gray line and may be subject to deactivation by Microsoft. Microsoft and other software companies spend a lot of money in developing software and it's not ethical to try and bypass paying them legitimately for use of their software. Once a system has been activated with a Microsoft OEM key, they are not transferable to other systems and you don't get product support (not sure what you are saying about using keys from decommissioned systems since it is not even possible).

You can get a legitimate USB installation of Windows 10 for $139.00 (I know that there is a download option, although you may feel more assured that you are purchasing a legitimate install by getting a physical CoA (Certificate of Authenticity) label and it may come in handy for a repair installation if your OS becomes damaged:        https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/windows-10-home/d76qx4bznwk4/0003?activetab=pivot%3aoverviewtab

@Boomwebsearch 

11 hours ago, SpookyCitrus said:

How old is the HDD? Sounds like it could possibly be going out, happens all the time with standard mechanical HDDs especially if they are a bit older. The Windows activation shouldn't have messed with the HDD but it depends on what you did to, I'm assuming, hactivate it. If the HDD is buzzing, slowing the computer down, and not even showing up in disk management it's likely dead or dying, could also be a bad sata cable. You should first install and use HDTunepro or CrystalDiskMark to test the HDD's smrt status, if it shows any errors or bad sectors in the Health section, you will likely want to replace the drive. You can also boot into a portable OS such as Winpe and see if it is visible in there. If it is I would suggest reformatting it, as that can sometimes fix these types of HDD issues.

Hi guys, I checked hdtunepro and crystaldiskmark and the hdd didnt appear in either, it is definitely on but just isnt being detected. Thanks for the help tho

2 hours ago, KnotAiden said:

Hi guys, I checked hdtunepro and crystaldiskmark and the hdd didnt appear in either, it is definitely on but just isnt being detected. Thanks for the help tho

does the problem have something to do with uefi and legacy control in bios and changing it to legacy so that i could download windows again.

12 hours ago, Boomwebsearch said:

You do realize that using those cheap keys off of unauthorized distributors...

You do realize OP was going to crack Windows anyway? 

when Microsoft finds out that the seller is distributing these keys that were not supposed to be resold, they will be marked as invalid.

That's just plain wrong. MS are fully aware of it and do not do anything against it. It was been going on for as long as Windows 10 exists, has never been stopped and keys have never been deactivated that I know of.

Once a system has been activated with a Microsoft OEM key

These are precisely NOT OEM keys, they're reusable ones. They're just not being reused where they are supposed to.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

15 hours ago, Boomwebsearch said:

Even if the seller is at fault, don't take advantage of the situation, in the end, when Microsoft finds out that the seller is distributing these keys that were not supposed to be resold, they will be marked as invalid.

The seller buys keys in bulk for cheaper. Its called a volume license. Mine has been working for 6 months

Please tag me @Windows9 so I can see your reply

18 hours ago, PorkishPig said:

Please don't do this, especially if you ran an executable. Genuine keys are available for $3 on eBay.

As shown on page 18 of your manual:

• Using M2A_SOCKET for your SSD (top M.2 slot), ASATA3_0 and ASATA3_1 will be disabled.
  • Using M2B_SOCKET for your SSD (lower M.2 slot), SATA3_2 and SATA3_3 will be disabled.

Make sure you aren't using those SATA ports.

NO THE KEYS ON EBAY are NOT real all they do is remove the water mark!

28 minutes ago, Bowie2004 said:

They keys are very real, otherwise they would not remove the watermark. The sellers are not abiding by Microsoft License Agreement by reselling OEM keys, but the keys themselves are valid.

Desktop

Homelab

1 hour ago, Bowie2004 said:

There isn't a key to just remove the water mark, grey market keys are legit product keys. However, the way the were obtained is where it gets hinky. Usually purchased by someone posing as a business or high volume retailer to get reusable or wholesale priced keys on the cheap to resell. A lot are also bought using stolen payment methods, and then sold for cheap to get rid of quickly. 

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

5 hours ago, Kilrah said:

You do realize OP was going to crack Windows anyway? 

That's just plain wrong. MS are fully aware of it and do not do anything against it. It was been going on for as long as Windows 10 exists, has never been stopped and keys have never been deactivated that I know of.

These are precisely NOT OEM keys, they're reusable ones. They're just not being reused where they are supposed to.

2 hours ago, Windows9 said:

The seller buys keys in bulk for cheaper. Its called a volume license. Mine has been working for 6 months

The volume licensed keys are to be used by the organization that sold them only and not to be used by others through being resold (unauthorized distribution), the organization may have set certain administrative policies on the volume licenses (they can apply rules such as those that disable certain features including Remote Desktop that would be a possible security risk to the organization but not really for the average user and can collect some data). Also, you are breaking their licencing terms agreement by using volume licence keys through resell and not being a part of the organization that purchased them. Microsoft has systems to check for and disable unauthorized licenses (such as Microsoft Software Protection Platform Service) and not paying for a legitimate license means that you are basically stealing since Microsoft can't improve the product or pay more employees to work on the product and that also means less profits for them. 

https://news.microsoft.com/download/archived/presskits/antipiracy/docs/piracy10.pdf

1 hour ago, Bowie2004 said:

1 hour ago, PorkishPig said:

They keys are very real, otherwise they would not remove the watermark. The sellers are not abiding by Microsoft License Agreement by reselling OEM keys, but the keys themselves are valid.

10 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

There isn't a key to just remove the water mark, grey market keys are legit product keys. However, the way the were obtained is where it gets hinky. Usually purchased by someone posing as a business or high volume retailer to get reusable or wholesale priced keys on the cheap to resell. A lot are also bought using stolen payment methods, and then sold for cheap to get rid of quickly. 

Software activation systems are not completely effective in rejecting unauthorized activation attempts and therefore when you use illegitimate means of licencing, the software gets activated since it did not notice that the key is not supposed to be granted activation, although just because it works to get the software activated does NOT mean that it is right to do and does NOT mean that you used legitimate means of activation. Microsoft will sooner or later discover that illegitimate key and disable your software it is just a matter of when, please just do the right/ethical thing to in this case (pay Microsoft for a legitimate key). If you don't have the money to pay for a license yet, many softwares let you try it out for a month or so, Windows 10 can be used basically forever as unactivated, although the only downside is that you can't customize your experience (themes, wallpaper, etc) and the watermark on the bottom right side of the screen.  

@Boomwebsearch 

1 hour ago, Boomwebsearch said:

The volume licensed keys are to be used by the organization that sold them only and not to be used by others through being resold (unauthorized distribution)

They're still getting paid so not as bad as pirating.

Software activation systems are not completely effective in rejecting unauthorized activation attempts and therefore when you use illegitimate means of licencing, the software gets activated since it did not notice that the key is not supposed to be granted activation, although just because it works to get the software activated does NOT mean that it is right to do and does NOT mean that you used legitimate means of activation. Microsoft will sooner or later discover that illegitimate key and disable your software

No they won't disable it. 

it is just a matter of when

No, they WILL NOT do it. Never happened, not once. 

please just do the right/ethical thing to in this case (pay Microsoft for a legitimate key). If you don't have the money to pay for a license yet, many softwares let you try it out for a month or so, Windows 10 can be used basically forever as unactivated, although the only downside is that you can't customize your experience (themes, wallpaper, etc) and the watermark on the bottom right side of the screen

Ethical is a different argument. The only reason I activated is to get that watermark away. I have  Win 7 Genuine licences that are not being used, so I feel it is justified for me to pirate, as I have the licences, I just can't be bothered using them (its on a HDD which I formatted and put Win 10 on an SSD)

9 hours ago, KnotAiden said:

does the problem have something to do with uefi and legacy control in bios and changing it to legacy so that i could download windows again.

No, if HDTune and CrystalDiskMark don't even see the drive then that means it's either dead or unplugged, you should double check the cables. If you go to disk management and it shows it as not initialized or it has a red arrow next to it with no partitions then that means the drive is dead dead.

1 hour ago, Windows9 said:

No they won't disable it.

No, they WILL NOT do it. Never happened, not once.

Read this article, Microsoft has designed Windows 10 to check your computer for illegitimate copies of software:    https://indianexpress.com/article/technology/tech-news-technology/windows-10-microsoft-can-disable-pirated-software-unauthorised-hardware/

Ethical is a different argument. The only reason I activated is to get that watermark away. I have  Win 7 Genuine licences that are not being used, so I feel it is justified for me to pirate, as I have the licences, I just can't be bothered using them (its on a HDD which I formatted and put Win 10 on an SSD)

Windows 7 is not the same software as Windows 10 since they are different operating systems, Microsoft is no longer officially offering free upgrades for Windows 7 users to Windows 10. Whether or not you feel it is justified, software piracy is illegal and wrong.

They're still getting paid so not as bad as pirating.

Volume licences are often sold at a fraction of the price of a single-user licence, that is why they are not supposed to be resold, Microsoft is offering the licences at discount for organizations that need many of them, reselling the volume licenses is unethical and in breach of the company's licencing terms agreement. The argument that it is somewhat okay to use a resold volume license since you are technically paying for it is invalid, the owners of the volume licenses paid money to obtain them and if they sell them (which they are not supposed to), they are making back money from what they paid Microsoft for volume licenses. I don't think that Microsoft would be willing to sell volume licenses on purpose to be resold, therefore it is unethical and against the licencing terms on part of the seller of volume licenses and on part of the consumer that is knowingly buying these licences to save money in not having to pay the full amount for a legitimate license. And as I have mentioned in my previous post within this thread, certain organizations that purchase volume licenses have the ability to configure administrative policies on your computer, including those which would disable features such as Remote Desktop and force on/off certain settings such as for when updates get installed (your illegitimate software could also get disabled from a forced update).

@Boomwebsearch 

Read this article, Microsoft has designed Windows 10 to check your computer for illegitimate copies of software:    https://indianexpress.com/article/technology/tech-news-technology/windows-10-microsoft-can-disable-pirated-software-unauthorised-hardware/

The indian express. The most trusted go-to news source

Windows 7 is not the same software as Windows 10 since they are different operating systems, Microsoft is no longer officially offering free upgrades for Windows 7 users to Windows 10. Whether or not you feel it is justified, software piracy is illegal and wrong.

I have the upgrade assistant, just not enough RAM, so I had to install it myself

Volume licences are often sold at a fraction of the price of a single-user licence, that is why they are not supposed to be resold, Microsoft is offering the licences at discount for organizations that need many of them, reselling the volume licenses is unethical and in breach of the company's licencing terms agreement. The argument that it is somewhat okay to use a resold volume license since you are technically paying for it is invalid, the owners of the volume licenses paid money to obtain them and if they sell them (which they are not supposed to), they are making back money from what they paid Microsoft for volume licenses. I don't think that Microsoft would be willing to sell volume licenses on purpose to be resold, therefore it is unethical and against the licencing terms on part of the seller of volume licenses and on part of the consumer that is knowingly buying these licences to save money in not having to pay the full amount for a legitimate license. And as I have mentioned in my previous post within this thread, certain organizations that purchase volume licenses have the ability to configure administrative policies on your computer, including those which would disable features such as Remote Desktop and force on/off certain settings such as for when updates get installed (your illegitimate software could also get disabled from a forced update).

It may be unethical, but they still won't disable Windows. Also if they cared, they would use VERO against the eBay listings

2 hours ago, Boomwebsearch said:

So if we take your logic since that article is 5 years old and there are no reports of deactivated machines I guess that means it's legitimate? 🤣

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

It may be unethical, but they still won't disable Windows. Also if they cared, they would use VERO against the eBay listings

8 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

So if we take your logic since that article is 5 years old and there are no reports of deactivated machines I guess that means it's legitimate? 🤣

Large software companies are more likely to focus efforts in software development to prevent illegitimate activations occurring rather that going after the people running them. If you use a key purchased from a stolen credit card through some seller then the credit card company could contact Microsoft and get paid back plus your key marked as invalid. Similar story with volume licenses, if Microsoft finds that a company has been buying volume licenses and reselling, all those keys will be marked as invalid. 

There are other issues with using illegitimate software rather than it being unethical, mainly having to do with that the organization that bought your licence can enforce policies that disable features and lock certain settings (in one position which can't be changed) and your software will be more likely to get infected with malware if security updates go missing. 

If you still aren't convinced that you should not use illegitimate Windows, read this article which explains further information on why you shouldn't:        https://turnkeypoint.com/what-are-the-risks-of-using-pirated-windows-10/

@Boomwebsearch 

10 hours ago, PorkishPig said:

yeah I mean my friend bought one and it removed the watermark but his pc was still not activated. Some may be real, but others might not be

9 hours ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Yeah my friend bought one and it removed the watermark but his pc was still unactivated so some may be real but I personally wouldn't get them off ebay

6 hours ago, Boomwebsearch said:

If you still aren't convinced that you should not use illegitimate Windows, read this article which explains further information on why you shouldn't:        https://turnkeypoint.com/what-are-the-risks-of-using-pirated-windows-10/

This article refers to using cracks. Again the cheap key ticks all the boxes in practice.

F@H

GPD Win 2