Speculative Future PC Build (Late 2020)

Budget (including currency): $1500 USD TBA

I've been aching to build a new PC since I finished high school, but now I'm in my third year of Uni and I still haven't pulled the trigger. Now, with the approach of next-gen processors and graphics, here's my future PC build and reasoning behind each and every part choice. Please comment your suggestions and thoughts below!

• CPU: 4000 Series Ryzen 7 on Zen 2 architecture.

- I do a fair bit of CAD, compiling, and light photo editing, and 3000 Series Ryzen 7 3700x was a really strong contender this year based on price and performance. But the final Ryzen series on the AM4 socket looks to improve efficiency and slightly boost performance, and I don't plan on upgrading this PC build. By the time games are on a new graphical/technological level, it'll be easier to just start building a brand new system.

• GPU: Nvidia RTX 3080 on the new Ampere architecture.

-I would love to move up from my trusty 1060 and step into the world of QHD 144hz gaming. Ampere looks to add massive performance in raytracing and raw compute power over RTX 2000 series and with coming competition from AMD in graphics, (finally!) I anticipate that high end cards will be more competitively priced after Nvidia's domination of that sector this generation. I also need to be ahead of the console gaming curve as both Sony and Microsoft's offerings look to be on par with current mid/high-tier gaming setups.

• RAM: 32Gb 4X8Gb sticks of Corsair LPX DDR4 memory at 2133Mhz

-I'll be trying to save some money and carrying over my old sets of RAM from my current PC. I know Ryzen needs fast memory, so I'll be trying to overclock my RAM to 3200Mhz (or overclock Ryzen's Infinity Fabric). Please write me tips on memory over-clocking/Ram-timings.

• Storage: 1 TB M.2 SSD TBA + 2TB HDD at 7200rpm

- More SSD storage is always better, but rising demand of high capacity SSDs have greatly inflated the price of 2 TB SSD solutions (+$400!). I wanted a compromise and so, will be implementing a hybrid set up with an M.2 SSD and standard 3.5 in HDD. Better preforming HDD's are really cheap these days and I don't care for having a massive Steam library. Not going with NVME because my workloads don't really benefit from the price hike over SATA. Brand really shouldn't matter as long as they're reliable and well priced.

• Case: NZXT H510

- The case looks nice in white and I've heard great reviews. Not much to think about here.

• Cooling: Included Wraith Prism cooler + 2 Noctua 140mm fans.

-I don't plan on crazy overclocking of Ryzen's cores themselves and the included cooler bundled with the processor seems more than adequate. I'm adding 2 Noctua 140mm fans for the case's front air intakes, (NZXT provides 2 included exhaust fans.)

• Motherboard: Asus Strix B550 TBA

-Asus doesn't currently offer a midrange 500-series chipset motherboard but should approaching Ryzen 4000 series launch. I like their BIOS features and have the necessity of overclocking my memory modules having skimped out on more modern RAM.

• Power Supply: EVGA 1000w gold+ modular power supply

-I've had this boy in my closet for 4 years now because it didn't fit in my old computer. It's more than adequate for my estimated wattage and will have ample power-overhead should I add a second RTX 3080 when CFR technology finally comes around.

Conclusion: Using PC Partpicker, this build should come out to sub >$1500. I have one foot in the future and the other in the past when it came to parts and features with this build, but I can't bear to push this budget to around $2000. Good things come to those who wait.

I know I'm putting a lot of stock in the future (literally and figuratively), but I've waited too long for this upgrade and this year seems like a great time to build a system that will be relevant for years to come. Please send me ideas, suggestions, comments, concerns and criticism you have. I always could use the help.

I know everybody says the stock coolers on Ryzen are good, but I've bought 3 Ryzens in the past few months and have ultimately upgraded the cooling on all of them.  If you do anything that involves a sustained load, your temps are likely to hit 80 degrees, which is just too much for me even if it's technically acceptable.  If you don't plan on doing anything CPU intensive, the cooler is definitely fine, but never having to worry about it is, to me, worth an extra 50-100 dollars (particularly at the cost of the build you're planning)

#Muricaparrotgang

Folding@Home Stats | Current PC Loadout:

Small                        Bigger				Biggerer				Biggest
Fractal Design Focus G       NZXT H1				Lian LI O11 Dynamic XL			Fractal Design Meshify C
FX-8320                      Ryzen 3 3200G			Ryzen 5 3600				Ryzen 7 3700X
120mm AIO                    120mm AIO				Custom 280mm loop			Noctua NH-D15
A motherboard                ASRock B450 mobo			MSI x570 mobo				MSI x570 mobo
16gb DDR3                    16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3600
a melange of HDDs/SSDs       WD 1tb m.2				WD 500gb m.2				WD 1tb m.2/2tb HDD
PNY GTX 1070 x2              GTX 1070				GTX 1070 FE				MSI RTX 2080 TI
some 650w PSU                650W SFX-L 80+ Gold		MSI RTX 2080 Super			EVGA SuperNova 750w 80+ GOLD 
								Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD