Ninite Alternaives

Hercules808

Hello LTT forums!

I've just bought all of my parts of building a computer (and waiting for them to be shipped) except from my storage device that arrived early . I own an old system that fortunately has an extra SATA data cable in order to plug it into drive. As we all know, the problem with building a new computer is the software that you have to install, in order for your machine to function properly ( Intel/AMD/Nvidia software etc). Is there any app that lets me download all of those services at once? The only close thing that I found was Ninite, which doesn't include a large selection of apps....

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

13 minutes ago, Hercules808 said:

As we all know, the problem with building a new computer is the software that you have to install, in order for your machine to function properly ( Intel/AMD/Nvidia software etc). Is there any app that lets me download all of those services at once?

Using something like that for drivers would not be a particularly good idea, since it'd most likely either try to install wrong drivers or horribly outdated ones. It's better to just grab the drivers you need manually and if your mobo's manufacturer offers some sort of a tool for quickly installing the ones corresponding to your mobo, like e.g. MSI has Live Update for that.

For non-drivers, though, I like to use Chocolatey. It's not anywhere near like Ninite as it's more akin to Debian's/Ubuntu's apt, ie. you install Chocolatey and then you can just pop open command-line and install software with e.g. "choco install gimp inkscape vlc thunderbird" etc. If installing stuff from the command-line doesn't appeal to you, then I don't have any suggestions, though.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Welcome to the forums!

Ninite provides a FAQ on why certain features are not available. You can view them here. There are services like Windows Remix, but it's not as good IMHO, as it's not nearly as easy to use.

Unless you're on Linux, you're not going to find a central repository of all things drivers. Your best bet is your motherboard manufacturer's website.

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

Ninite is only for geneal programmes and not drivers, but there is snappy driver installer origin which will do the driver side of things however I would still recommend getting graphics card drivers directly from AMD/intel/nvidia as SDIO can (and has in my experience) get things wrong.