Ryzen 5 3600, Windows 7 question

So I know my Ryzen 5 3600 can not do Windows 7. But does that mean it simply can't be installed on this system? What if I already HAVE it installed on a drive? I have the C drive with Windows 7 I was dual booting to in my last build. If I plug it into my new build with my B450 Tomahawk and the Ryzen 5, will it just not boot? Or is it simply installing Windows 7 on a Ryzen 5 that doesn't work?

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, tinpanalley said:
So I know my Ruzen 5 3600 can not do Windows 7. But does that mean it simply can't be installed on this system? What if I already HAVE it installed on a drive? I have the C drive with Windows 7 I was dual booting to in my last build. If I plug it into my new build with my B450 Tomahawk and the Ryzen 5, will it just not boot? Or is it simply installing Windows 7 on a Ryzen 5 that doesn't work?

Thanks!

You can install it but there are not drivers for the board. So basically sound, internet, usb, pcie devices (like your gpu),... may not function or be stuck in a very basic mode.

12 minutes ago, jaslion said:

You can install it but there are not drivers for the board. So basically sound, internet, usb, pcie devices (like your gpu),... may not function or be stuck in a very basic mode.

Ohhh... it's a driver issue. Ok. So then there's not really anything that can be done then.

3 minutes ago, jaslion said:

My bad that's unexpected.

Yeah that is really weird. Because as far as I knew that wasn't possible. Could they have added that recently?

3 minutes ago, tinpanalley said:

Yeah that is really weird. Because as far as I knew that wasn't possible. Could they have added that recently?

No some drivers are from 2018.Pretty odd but hey good for you.

The MSI Tomahawk Windows 7 drivers only support Summit, Bristol, and Pinnacle ridge cpu's. The 3600 is a Mattise Cpu. You will need to use Windows 10 for the 3600, or if you really want windows 7 , you will have to downgrade the cpu to a 2700x or lower.

Case: Thermaltake W100.CPU:  AMD Ryzen 9 7950x . CPU Cooler: Artic 420 aio. Motherboard: MSI Tomahawk B550. Memory: 32 gigs of DDR4 6000 G-Skill CL30.Graphics = XFX Merc 319 7900xtx. Main Drive = Sabrent Rocket Plus 4, m.2. Storage Drive = 8 tb Seagate Barracuda. PSU = Platinum 1300 watt. OS: Windows 10 Professional 64. Monitor: Samsung G, 2560x1440 @ 240hz. Sound System: Logitech Z-5300 5.1 (bought new by me in 2003). Mouse: Razr. Keyboard: Corsair Strafe Blue led. Printer: HP Envy 5660.Desk: 96” x 30” butcher block on rusted and clear-coated 2”x2” legs, built by owner.

5 minutes ago, Kwikgta said:

The MSI Tomahawk Windows 7 drivers only support Summit, Bristol, and Pinnacle ridge cpu's. The 3600 is a Mattise Cpu. You will need to use Windows 10 for the 3600, or if you really want windows 7 , you will have to downgrade the cpu to a 2700x or lower.

Damn... so the Ryzen 5 3600 wont work at all?

2 minutes ago, Kwikgta said:

I don't see that at the web site. Can you link this information please?

USB, wifi and Sata drivers (for example) do not rely on a cpu that's installed fyi.  Click the link I've provided for clarity.

Just now, tinpanalley said:

Damn... so the Ryzen 5 3600 wont work at all?

It'll work fine. 

The motherboard drivers are for Sata, USB, and chipset ect. Not discriminate to Cpu at all. 

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450-TOMAHAWK#down-driver&Win7 64   click on the chipset drivers, they don't work for Mattise.

Case: Thermaltake W100.CPU:  AMD Ryzen 9 7950x . CPU Cooler: Artic 420 aio. Motherboard: MSI Tomahawk B550. Memory: 32 gigs of DDR4 6000 G-Skill CL30.Graphics = XFX Merc 319 7900xtx. Main Drive = Sabrent Rocket Plus 4, m.2. Storage Drive = 8 tb Seagate Barracuda. PSU = Platinum 1300 watt. OS: Windows 10 Professional 64. Monitor: Samsung G, 2560x1440 @ 240hz. Sound System: Logitech Z-5300 5.1 (bought new by me in 2003). Mouse: Razr. Keyboard: Corsair Strafe Blue led. Printer: HP Envy 5660.Desk: 96” x 30” butcher block on rusted and clear-coated 2”x2” legs, built by owner.

1 minute ago, ShrimpBrime said:

I don't see that at the web site. Can you link this information please?

USB, wifi and Sata drivers (for example) do not rely on a cpu that's installed fyi.  Click the link I've provided for clarity.

It says this in specs unfortunately...

"To support Windows® 7 64-bit, you must install an AMD Pinnacle Ridge & Summit Ridge CPU. "

Shame. Well, for me. And I almost bought the 2700x.

39 minutes ago, tinpanalley said:
So I know my Ryzen 5 3600 can not do Windows 7. But does that mean it simply can't be installed on this system? What if I already HAVE it installed on a drive? I have the C drive with Windows 7 I was dual booting to in my last build. If I plug it into my new build with my B450 Tomahawk and the Ryzen 5, will it just not boot? Or is it simply installing Windows 7 on a Ryzen 5 that doesn't work?

Thanks!

There is an unofficial version of windows 7 ryzen patched in the scene that fully supports ryzen, but we cant post nothing here about it.