Thunderbolt MOBO to Chassis Type C Connector

I am getting parts together to build a new gaming/streaming rig when AMD 4000 comes out. The case that I'm looking at says that it has a front USB Type C connector that I want to use, but it doesn't specify if it's Gen.1 or Gen.2.

If I plug it into the Thunderbolt header on my MOBO will it give me Thunderbolt 3 speed, or should I find a case that I know has a Gen.2 plug?

8 minutes ago, Ferowin said:

I am getting parts together to build a new gaming/streaming rig when AMD 4000 comes out. The case that I'm looking at says that it has a front USB Type C connector that I want to use, but it doesn't specify if it's Gen.1 or Gen.2.

If I plug it into the Thunderbolt header on my MOBO will it give me Thunderbolt 3 speed, or should I find a case that I know has a Gen.2 plug?

Pic found online

I am not very familiar with USB-C or Thunderbolt, other than my switch and my Note 9 using Type C and thats about it. I think the picture depicts a difference between USB 3.1 Gen 1 and USB 3.1 gen 2. So if you have a type c port on the front of the chassis, that would indicate to me that it would plug into the Gen 2 header on the motherboard, which, IIRC the motherboard manufacturer would state whether it is thunderbolt 3 or just USB type C. I believe the internal header is the same, however the two have different bandwidths.

I could be 100% wrong and if so please someone correct me as I would like to clear this up as well. 

main-qimg-65631a673ee0f6a6efa098daacae7423.jfif

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800X GPU: Reference 5700XT (Asus) Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X470-F RAM: Corsair 32GB Vengeance 3600Mhz PSU: Corsair RM850X White

Cooling: Corsair H115i RGB Storage: 500GB WD SN750 M.2, 4TB Samsung EVO SSD Case: NZXT H500i White

Keyboard: Asus ROG Strix Flare (MX Red) Mouse: Corsair Sabre RGB

The thunderbolt header doesn't primarily carry data. It is essentially a hardware key for thunderbolt add in cards. So no, you can't plug a front panel connector into it. The USB C internal header is also totally different from the headers of most other connections on the motherboard in that it doesn't use the same pins, so if your motherboard doesn't have a USB C internal header then you won't be able to use that port.

Edited by BobVonBob
slight correction, the header does carry data, just not much.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

12 hours ago, BobVonBob said:

The thunderbolt header doesn't primarily carry data. It is essentially a hardware key for thunderbolt add in cards. So no, you can't plug a front panel connector into it. The USB C internal header is also totally different from the headers of most other connections on the motherboard in that it doesn't use the same pins, so if your motherboard doesn't have a USB C internal header then you won't be able to use that port.

So, if I buy a MOBO that supports Thunderbolt 3 I still need to buy an add on PCIE card and I still can’t connect it to the case front panel?  That’s lame...