Step forward in mouse and keyboard design?

BigChimp97

I'd rather get Nostromo or Logitech's similar device or maybe even the Orbweaver, pair it with Naga or Logitech G600 and set frequently used sentences as macro for chat on mouse...

While it looks good, it also looks awkward to use...

Gadgets: Lenovo Y580 (Nostromo, Naga Epic, Hydra, TrackIr5), Surface Pro 3 (i3), Lumia 930, PSVita

Rig: i7-4770K, 8GB Kingston HyperX, Asus Strix GTX970, MSI Z87-GD65, Asus Xonar DGX, CMStorm Scout II, CM Seidon 240M, BlackWidow Ultimate, Naga Epic, Goliathus Extended Control, TrackIr5, Sennheiser HD205, Audio-Technica ATR2500, Edifier speaker, Logitech G940, Logitech G27, Logitech F710, Dell S2340L, Philips 200VL, Samsung 830 128GB SSD, DXRacer FA01N

Looks fucking stupid, why would i want an analog stick when i'm playing on the computer?
AND NO, POSSIBLY PUTTING 'WASD' ON THE SAME HAND FOR LOOKING AROUND IS NOT A GOOD IDEA.

Interesting. I don't think it'll actually be very good, but nonetheless it's interesting to see new ideas and experiments.

I just wish we had a better way of controlling movement on PC. WASD is ridiculously clunky and limiting in comparison to a thumbstick. Unfortunately this doesn't look like it'll help that much...

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

why...why so many backers. THAT many people actually want THAT THING? 

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

I cant imagine using this while playing games while sitting the way I usualy sit. That would be impossible.

75674746-businessman-sitting-with-legs-o

Not another one of these.... I would have hoped company's would have figured out that this kind of thing just does not work by now. And does the company logo remind anyone else of assassins creed?

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Interesting. I don't think it'll actually be very good, but nonetheless it's interesting to see new ideas and experiments.

I just wish we had a better way of controlling movement on PC. WASD is ridiculously clunky and limiting in comparison to a thumbstick. Unfortunately this doesn't look like it'll help that much...

Actually you could map WASD to a joystick and use joystick + mouse. That's a control scheme I haven't seen (outside of Mech games) that could be good

-------

Current Rig

-------

Actually you could map WASD to a joystick and use joystick + mouse. That's a control scheme I haven't seen (outside of Mech games) that could be good

It would still have some of the same inherent limitations, but yeah it would be a good improvement.

A joystick is better than WASD for movement, be that of your character in an FPS or TPS or a car in a racing simulator etc. More ergonomic, and more accurate for fine movement. Plus the possibility to alter one's velocity.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

Hell no. If we wanted joysticks we would use xbox controller. Mouse is much faster/precise.

You clearly dont know how that works...

Getting alot of mixed opinions on this!! Well it's already been backed, so it will eventually become a real "thing", would be pretty interesting to see if Linus does a review on it when/if it releases :)

CPU Intel i7-6700k | Motherboard ASUS Maximus Hero VIII | GPU MSI GTX 970 | RAM 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz | Cooling Noctua NH-D15 | Storage 240GB Crucial M500; 2TB Seagate Barracuda | PSU EVGA 850w | Case Phatek Enthoo Pro M Acrylic

You clearly dont know how that works...

Using a mouse that big is not possible in say Counter Strike. You need to use low sensitivity to be accurate and be fast so you need big mouse pad and fast movements and you need to lift your mouse up to say turn around, using that massive thing would be terrible. Also our hands already don't do much when playing games, thing like that will make them fall off.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Using a mouse that big is not possible in say Counter Strike. You need to use low sensitivity to be accurate and be fast so you need big mouse pad and fast movements and you need to lift your mouse up to say turn around, using that massive thing would be terrible. Also our hands already don't do much when playing games, thing like that will make them fall off.

Both pieces has sensor so you can use both to turn faster or only one to be more accurate

Both pieces has sensor so you can use both to turn faster or only one to be more accurate

But you need both...

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

What it sort of uses as it's selling-point:

Ergonomics and "practical" layout

What it fails to do, due to design:

Ergonomics

The big point to ergonomics in such designs would be to reduce strain, but when the gained ergonomic benefits are outweighed by newly formed reductions in general ergonomics.. why even attempt it?

Producing new forms of strain on the joints and muscles via the requirement to lift your arms up, just to get the benefit of a straighter ergonomic for the wrist, is about as counterintuitive as it gets.

In any case, a low profile keyboard would be a hell of a lot better, as far as ergonomics are concerned.

That being said, as it attempts to appeal to strategic layout and more "effective" placement of buttons and sticks, it still goes in to a super-duper niche are of the market, where the ones this would appeal to, pretty much already have their desired layout already.. which in return would just be like trying to sell someone who already has a Gucci bag, a knock-off version of the same bag, with the zipper being a quarter of a millimeter wider as it's appeal.

There are plenty of these types of products out on the market already, so why put your money in to such a kickstarter

Well, there are two answers to the question, but both basically lead to the same point. So, you can simplify it by just saying, there are "two kinds of cool":

1. First kind of cool, performance. The reasoning behind a purchase, is that it just performs better than the competition, at something. Which is a fair reason to get a product.
  2. Second kind of cool, it's something you find cool, to the point of "you just want it", regardless of there being better options out there, you choose to get the product over the competition. Be it due to looks, color-scheme, whatever.

Your reasoning can be within one, two, or even none of them. But at the point of being in none, why would you even consider dropping money in to a kickstarter, other than a possible "this could be a success"?

Personally, I'd rather have a "normal" keyboard (and mouse of course), preferably mechanical, but not necessarily.. as I can take a low-profile style, with anti-ghosting cluster, over a fully mechanical keyboard that doesn't have very good ergonomics and such. This is just because I'm so used to the standard layout, like most people are, so I see no point in a product like this. But, then again, I don't see this fitting any of my fields-of-use either.

So, there's that.

"Hidden optical drive, crouching PC-builder."

Mechwarrior would be sweet as balls with that thing

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Mechwarrior would be sweet as balls with that thing

Haha true!!

CPU Intel i7-6700k | Motherboard ASUS Maximus Hero VIII | GPU MSI GTX 970 | RAM 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz | Cooling Noctua NH-D15 | Storage 240GB Crucial M500; 2TB Seagate Barracuda | PSU EVGA 850w | Case Phatek Enthoo Pro M Acrylic

Sorry, but this looks like a pain to move around like a mouse, there is no way way it'll be light enough. 

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!