AMD not supporting Zen3 on older motherboards :(

Andk1987
8 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

but they decided that it's better than facing backlash 

Yeah seriously, AMD had zero budget motherboard option (still don't...) for Zen2 CPUs other than B450. They basically forced users to get B450 if they didn't want to spend as much/more on a motherboard as they would on the CPU itself. They dug this hole themselves.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

3 hours ago, BlackManINC said:

Probably not as big an improvement as there would have been had they shunned all pre-500 series motherboards. They were likely doing it because older motherboards were holding it back. Now, 4000 series buyers likely won't be getting all the bang for the bucks they put in it, unfortunately. 

That would be a bad trade.  We’ll find out I guess. :/
There is some hope.  I read somewhere here that zen is basically system on a chip and all the chipset really does is handle i/o.  If this is the case it shouldn’t affect zen3 much.  In any case I think zen3 is already designed.  Just because we don’t know what is in doesn’t mean no one does.  Hopefully it was merely cheaper to not support older motherboards.  I don’t want to hold the AMD engineers back.  We need competition.

I don’t know it it’s going to be zen3 vs rocket lake or whatever zen4 is.  I don’t know the timeline.  Zen2 still kicks ass on ice lake Even worse than it did on coffee lake though

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

3 hours ago, BlackManINC said:

Probably not as big an improvement as there would have been had they shunned all pre-500 series motherboards. They were likely doing it because older motherboards were holding it back. Now, 4000 series buyers likely won't be getting all the bang for the bucks they put in it, unfortunately. 

We’ll know when they come out.  The standard jump is 10-15%.  There remains a possibility that the 3600 will have trouble with not enough threads depending on how upcoming ps5/Xbox games are written.  At that point you might need an 8/16 and one might as well go 4xxx at that point.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.