Minecraft server

Hey Lads.

Im pretty tired of renting minecraft servers and shit online, without having to pay a huge shitton for a server you only can play 10people lag free on, so i was wondering how to build my own physical server, and make it into a minecraft server, what i would need of hardware to do that, and what i would need of software to do that.

(i know that this would be an fairly expensive build, but in the end it would pay off)

I hope yall can help

2 minutes ago, H40N said:

Hey Lads.

Im pretty tired of renting minecraft servers and shit online, without having to pay a huge shitton for a server you only can play 10people lag free on, so i was wondering how to build my own physical server, and make it into a minecraft server, what i would need of hardware to do that, and what i would need of software to do that.

(i know that this would be an fairly expensive build, but in the end it would pay off)

I hope yall can help

Not really. R 3600 or a 3300x+ a rx 5600xt will do fine. 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

4 minutes ago, H40N said:

Hey Lads.

I hope yall can help

Look around for a used workstation. Z800/T5500, basically anything with DDR3 ECC memory and socket 1366 CPU's. Try for a dual socket as the highest core count you'll get on that platform is 6 core with hyperthreading. 12 core with 24 threads is pretty nice. Being able to install 64GB of memory for next to nothing is a bonus too. No-one pays decent money for used ECC DDR3 any more, it's obsolete and plentyful. I can stick 384GB in my Z800 if I so wish.

You'll be limited to USB2.0 and SATA2 without using expansion cards but that won't matter on a game server. Doesn't really matter when it comes to gaming either.

42 minutes ago, H40N said:

i know that this would be an fairly expensive build, but in the end it would pay off

To host 10 people, you need a pretty basic system.

First off, Minecraft can't use a ton of cores. A single CPU with 4 cores does the trick, but you want a faster CPU.

Like @Curious Pineapple mentioned, a cheap 1366 system is usually pretty easy to come by on the used market, but you definitely don't need a dual socket. If you get one with a crappy CPU like a Xeon L5506, you can go on eBay and get something cheap like a W3550 and toss it in.

DDR3is also crazy cheap, and you will need a fair amount of ram for the server, DDR3 can come in sizes as low as 1GB and you want combinations of three for these old servers, so try to get above 16GB. Don't forget, you can't run ECC and non ECC memory together, so if you buy an old server that already has ECC in it, you gotta get more.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

To host 10 people, you need a pretty basic system.

First off, Minecraft can't use a ton of cores. A single CPU with 4 cores does the trick, but you want a faster CPU.

Like @Curious Pineapple mentioned, a cheap 1366 system is usually pretty easy to come by on the used market, but you definitely don't need a dual socket. If it comes with a crappy CPU like a Xeon L5506, you can go on eBay and get something cheap like a W3550 and toss it in.

DDR3is also crazy cheap, and you will need a fair amount of ram for the server, DDR3 can come in sizes as low as 1GB and you want combinations of three for these old servers, so try to get above 16GB. Don't forget, you can't run ECC and non ECC memory together, so if you buy an old server that already has ECC in it, you gotta get more.

I've never hosted, or really played Minecraft so the requirements aren't something I know about. I just suggested dual socket as you can run it with a single CPU, but you can also buy a second CPU and load it up with smaller (and cheaper) memory modules for less than buying 8/16/32GB ones. With the Z800 you can enable memory node interleave which stripes the memory space across both CPU's. Guarenteed to get latency on half the memory access, but have the additional speed of a pair of triple channel memory controllers.

Also a piece of cake to run multiple virtualised servers, if the internet connection is up to it, you can rent VM's out to others to cover electricity costs of the server :)

1 hour ago, H40N said:

Hey Lads.

I hope yall can help

just for a gauge when i play / host with ~10ish people on my system (i7 4770 + 20gb ram) my cpu usage hits ~90% so keep that in mind. Ram wise it's hovering around 4gb usage 

The BBQ: i7-4770 / 212x / Tri-X R9 290x 1075/1400 / MSI H87-G43 GAMING / EVGA G2 850W / Corsair Spec 03 / Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD / Toshiba 2TB HDD / 8gb Kingston DDR3 1600mhz

Peripherals: G710+ / G502 / Bose Companion 2 Series III / Audio Technica ATH-M40x / Sound Magic E50

Monitors: Dell U2414H 

From what I've seen you want at least 2gb ram per person, more is a plus.

10 hours ago, George Andrews said:

From what I've seen you want at least 2gb ram per person, more is a plus.

Not sure where you're getting that number from but it's more like 512MB per person with a lot (50+) of mods installed. 2GB of RAM can usually handle around 10 people with around 10 to 15 mods.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

On 5/8/2020 at 6:45 AM, H40N said:

Hey Lads.

I hope yall can help

Minecraft servers by themselves do not require anything hardware demanding to host. As long as you don't play on playing on any crazy modpacks with over 180 mods or so you could probably get away with using an Ryzen 5 or Ryzen 7 with 16gb of ram (personal preference). You don't really need a graphics card to host most types of game servers, as far as a motherboard/cooling/case. All you would really need to do for that would be getting something compatible with whatever processor you end up picking out. Some motherboards are not able to fit Ryzen processors but are able to fit Intel processors. Same thing with coolers. I recommend using PCPartPicker's website to try and find out what parts are compatible. But for the most part you won't need anything intensive to host a decent server so long as your internet speed is also able to handle having several people on it at the same time. I would also recommend trying to host the server using linux if at all possible. most people don't have much experience with that OS but it is free, and it is a lot faster than other OS. It helps to ensure that you will get the most out of your computer with better optimized code. Also do note that since most people do not use Linux that some games for future hosting may need to have Windows instead. Always be sure to look for a Linux version before hand so you don't run through a lot of issues trying to get it to work and then ends up it is just flat out incompatible. I personally just use a spare laptop I had to host. It has an Intel i7 HQ 6700 with 16gb of ram. It runs quite well for the most part. I have only really tried to host Minecraft/Terraria servers with it, but for the most part as long as the Modpack is well coded, everything runs with little to no issues.