scratched some of gpu pcb trace,is it safe to use?

dewod

so today i just want to change my thermal paste on my gpu, but the screw that hold the heatsink is worn out i cant use philips head, so i deciced to use hackshaw so i can move the screw with my flathead screwdriver, and then my hackshaw sliped to and scratch some of gpu trace as seen in the picture below, so far i've been test the gpu with games, OCCT gpu test 15 min show no errors, furmark run fine, so far i didnt get any error flicker or anything, i cover the scratch with an electrical tape, i just wonder is it safe to use ?

IMG_20200507_153745.jpg

it is fine. if scrached my gpu too. 

if it works it is all good

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

1 minute ago, SavageNeo said:

it is fine. if scrached my gpu too. 

if it works it is all good

ah ok then im just being paranoid for this.

That's how I killed my 980ti a couple years ago.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

1 minute ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

That's how I killed my 980ti a couple years ago.

im feel bad for you, how could that happen btw?

it is almost certainly a signal trace, and as long as it isn't broken through, it'll probably be fine in the long term. It looks like the stuff they cover the board with has worn away and the track is exposed, but looks intact. If it were a power trace, there is more risk, but they're usually thicker if not using an internal plane.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

4 minutes ago, dewod said:

im feel bad for you, how could that happen btw?

I think from the picture mine was scratched a bit more...but the card would display white lines all over the screen and wouldn't detect or install drivers and or run anything higher than the lowest resolution in windows.

If yours is fine you're very lucky.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

40 minutes ago, dewod said:

so today i just want to change my thermal paste on my gpu, but the screw that hold the heatsink is worn out i cant use philips head, so i deciced to use hackshaw so i can move the screw with my flathead screwdriver, and then my hackshaw sliped to and scratch some of gpu trace as seen in the picture below, so far i've been test the gpu with games, OCCT gpu test 15 min show no errors, furmark run fine, so far i didnt get any error flicker or anything, i cover the scratch with an electrical tape, i just wonder is it safe to use ?

IMG_20200507_153745.jpg

Seems fine its just the conformal coating that you scratched and the trace itself looks not damaged.

Just try if it works and when you want to reseal the trace use nailpolish.

3 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

I think from the picture mine was scratched a bit more...but the card would display white lines all over the screen and wouldn't detect or install drivers and or run anything higher than the lowest resolution in windows.

If you still have it, and that was the only damage, it is likely repairable. Just carefully scratch away the coating on either side of the break, and get some conductive paint (e.g. used for car demister repair) to restore the trace. Make sure not to cause other shorts when applying.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

And if it won’t work, search for someone who can solder a jumperwire on it to fix the trace. For one trace its easy with a bit of practise and a steady hand.

10 minutes ago, porina said:

If you still have it, and that was the only damage, it is likely repairable. Just carefully scratch away the coating on either side of the break, and get some conductive paint (e.g. used for car demister repair) to restore the trace. Make sure not to cause other shorts when applying.

Yeah thanks for the tip...I ended up selling it 100$ to a guy who repaired it...he melted away the black coating stuff and with a special pen he redid the traces that I broke and sprayes something on top he sent me pictures and told me it was working fine now...I remember those pictures I have posted on the forum somewhere.

21 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

If yours is fine you're very lucky.

yeah mine still work until now, i've been run games, adn stress test, seems nothing weird coming from the gpu

20 minutes ago, _Omega_ said:

Seems fine its just the conformal coating that you scratched and the trace itself looks not damaged.

Just try if it works and when you want to reseal the trace use nailpolish.

for now i cover it with an electrical tape, i might use a nailpolish later, thanks for the tip

16 minutes ago, _Omega_ said:

And if it won’t work, search for someone who can solder a jumperwire on it to fix the trace. For one trace its easy with a bit of practise and a steady hand.

the gpu still runs fine with games and, no sign of error signed on any stress test i've been run like occt and furmark, i should be very careful later then.

2 minutes ago, dewod said:

the gpu still runs fine with games and, no sign of error signed on any stress test i've been run like occt and furmark, i should be very careful later then.

Dont worry its fine 👍

i scratch traces all the time. its kinda a normal thing at this point. even if it was a minor scratch aka a micro crack some times a solder blob can be enough to re bridge them if it ever got to that point (if its minor enough anyway then its spare wire time) usually i don't re coat em as never a problem for me anyway.

Edited by Giffany
fixed my broken scentence sheesh