Best headphones for gaming without a build in microphone?

Sednario

Hiya, i am new to the world of audio at the moment, a while ago i picked up some cheap local gaming headphones, (Playmax MX300's, I live in New Zealand so we can't use Amazon, we have to buy locally) A little later i ended up getting my self a USB microphone (FIFINE K669B, I have family in Canada that were able to post them to me.) Though my headphones have recently died out, and i'm looking for a quality-ish for the price pair of headphones, for about 100NZD. (Around 50-80USD) I've heard a little about open and closed back headphones, though i'm not quite sure what they are. If it helps, I don't play super competitive games like Counterstrike where you need to hear all the footsteps, and i usually play for periods for about 4-6 hours. :)

I don’t know too much about headphones so unfortunately I can’t give a recommendation. However, I thought I should say that you don’t need to look for headphones without a mic because you can always disable the built in one and use your usb mic as your audio input.

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

Graphics Card Cooling Tier List

CPU Cooler Tier List

SSD Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/3/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/5/20 Techlinked

Mentioned twice in 8/7/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/12/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8/19/20 Techlinked

you can use amazon from nz. pre-covid it took about two weeks for goods to arrive. Some items do not ship because some sellers do not ship internationally, but most items do. I got my bluetooth driving headphones from Amazon.

I bought phillips o'neal headphones from dick smith back when they had physical stores. This is what I use on my computer. They were about $25-30. I've had them for years. The plastic coating on the leather has peeled off but they are still good and very comfortable to wear for long periods. They are so loud I often leave them on my desk and use them like a speaker.

Zeusthemoose

I know that, as my other headset originally had a mic, though i don't want to spend more money for something i'm not going to use. :)

14 minutes ago, Sednario said:

Hiya, i am new to the world of audio at the moment, a while ago i picked up some cheap local gaming headphones, (Playmax MX300's, I live in New Zealand so we can't use Amazon, we have to buy locally) A little later i ended up getting my self a USB microphone (FIFINE K669B, I have family in Canada that were able to post them to me.) Though my headphones have recently died out, and i'm looking for a quality-ish for the price pair of headphones, for about 100NZD. (Around 50-80USD) I've heard a little about open and closed back headphones, though i'm not quite sure what they are. If it helps, I don't play super competitive games like Counterstrike where you need to hear all the footsteps, and i usually play for periods for about 4-6 hours. :)

question. Why do you want a Gaming headset without an integrated microphone? you might end up paying more for one without a microphone than you would with one that already has one.

That's a pretty low pricepoint for a headset. You're honestly best off with a pair of HyperX's. They are the best low price point headset without a doubt.

And you might as well use them, until you save more money for better standalone headphones with a separate mic. There's no point in having shit headphones with a USB mic. HyperX are the BEST option.

Also make sure you quote people, or use the "@" symbol to tag someone, or they won't get a notification.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

1 minute ago, Sqnty Gaming said:

question. Why do you want a Gaming headset without an integrated microphone? you might end up paying more for one without a microphone than you would with one that already has one.

What i mean by that, is because i already have a microphone, i want to buy a headset where the money goes into the actual headphones, and not because it has a mic. tho if it really comes down to it, i'll get one with a mic if it means i can get some decent headphones, :)

23 minutes ago, Statik said:

That's a pretty low pricepoint for a headset. You're honestly best off with a pair of HyperX's. They are the best low price point headset without a doubt.

And you might as well use them, until you save more money for better standalone headphones with a separate mic. There's no point in having shit headphones with a USB mic. HyperX are the BEST option.

Also make sure you quote people, or use the "@" symbol to tag someone, or they won't get a notification.

@Statik Thanks for your suggestion, and if there really is no gaming headset at around the price i'm looking for, could you suggest any HyperX headphones? As i said, i'm new to the world of audio. :)

Might i add, having a look at the HyperX website, it looks like alot of them have flashy lights or a different/cool looking design, none of which i'm really into, to me it's just a way to add more cost to it. I'm just looking for decent for the price, functional, hopefully no mic, and no flashy light bullshit, just working. :)

1 minute ago, Sednario said:

What i mean by that, is because i already have a microphone, i want to buy a headset where the money goes into the actual headphones, and not because it has a mic. tho if it really comes down to it, i'll get one with a mic if it means i can get some decent headphones, :)

I see what you mean. I have a Alienware AW310H with legendary sound quality and are capable of producing bass that'll vibrate your ears. It however has a retractable mic, but it also comes with a very HQ stereo cable splitter thing. It's there in case you want to connect your mic and your headset. When you connect an external mic, it even automatically turns off the external one for you. There's a couple more things to mention about the AW310H. The aux cord connecting to the headset is completely detachable, swappable, and replacable. Added on top of that, the durability and maneuverability is top notch. However, Dell is selling this at a hefty price of $76. However if you want a better one for $95, get the Alienware AW510H. On this one, Dell doesn't explain anything different, and they look exactly the same, so I'm a bit confused, but there's a White and a black option.

AW310H: https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/new-alienware-stereo-gaming-headset-aw310h/apd/520-aaqe

AW510H: https://www.dell.com/en-us/member/shop/new-alienware-71-gaming-headset-aw510h/apd/520-aaqd/audio?ref=p13n_ena_pdp_vv&c=us&cs=2236&l=en&s=eep

1 hour ago, Sqnty Gaming said:

I see what you mean. I have a Alienware AW310H with legendary sound quality and are capable of producing bass that'll vibrate your ears. It however has a retractable mic, but it also comes with a very HQ stereo cable splitter thing. It's there in case you want to connect your mic and your headset. When you connect an external mic, it even automatically turns off the external one for you. There's a couple more things to mention about the AW310H. The aux cord connecting to the headset is completely detachable, swappable, and replacable. Added on top of that, the durability and maneuverability is top notch. However, Dell is selling this at a hefty price of $76. However if you want a better one for $95, get the Alienware AW510H. On this one, Dell doesn't explain anything different, and they look exactly the same, so I'm a bit confused, but there's a White and a black option.

AW310H: https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/new-alienware-stereo-gaming-headset-aw310h/apd/520-aaqe

AW510H: https://www.dell.com/en-us/member/shop/new-alienware-71-gaming-headset-aw510h/apd/520-aaqd/audio?ref=p13n_ena_pdp_vv&c=us&cs=2236&l=en&s=eep

@Sqnty Gaming Thank you so much for your suggestion! Big help. :) those look great, even though they do have a mic, i guess it's a spare one?  decent-ish price on the Dell New Zealand store, just went to check shipping and honey found a 15% coupon which pretty much covers shipping and some tax. :)

Code is     'NZAFFILIATES15%OFF'     If anyone's interested.

9 hours ago, Sednario said:

@Statik Thanks for your suggestion, and if there really is no gaming headset at around the price i'm looking for, could you suggest any HyperX headphones? As i said, i'm new to the world of audio. :)

Might i add, having a look at the HyperX website, it looks like alot of them have flashy lights or a different/cool looking design, none of which i'm really into, to me it's just a way to add more cost to it. I'm just looking for decent for the price, functional, hopefully no mic, and no flashy light bullshit, just working. :)

Ok so honestly, right now for price point you're at the very bottom in low end, which is fine. But you need to understand that your options here are going to be limited. People spend several hundred, if not thousands of dollars on PC audio setups. So spending 50-75 is very different, and there isn't a lot of options.

I would consider you to look at some reviews before you buy. I saw someone suggested an AW headset. Which go for it if you want it, and it has decent reviews. But I've never heard of it. For the past 5+ years HyperX has always been king in the budget headset range.

If you want me to be honest, get a mic.

Continuing on in your reply, that's just how HyperX's are designed, it doesn't add price, and none of them have flashy lights. What style are you into? Again, your options are limited, but HyperX Stingers or Clouds are going to offer the best audio experience for you at that price range. But if you don't care about audio and want some cans that don't sound great but look the part then to each their own I suppose.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/7/2020 at 1:27 AM, Sednario said:

@Sqnty Gaming Thank you so much for your suggestion! Big help. :) those look great, even though they do have a mic, i guess it's a spare one?  decent-ish price on the Dell New Zealand store, just went to check shipping and honey found a 15% coupon which pretty much covers shipping and some tax. :)

Code is     'NZAFFILIATES15%OFF'     If anyone's interested.

I'm glad I could help