Enhancing a Treadmill that runs linux!

krunyon

So I own a Star Trac E-TRxe (https://www.treadmillreviews.net/star-trac-e-trxe/) that I am looking to maybe add Netflix/Kodi to, and boost the top speed from 15mph up to 17 or 18 mph (During calibration it hits 17mph no problem). I've made a lot of progress towards getting root access, but I'm kinda feeling defeated by myself at this time.

This is the kernel I'm running now, found on the official site: (https://support.corehandf.com/coreconnect/content/download.aspx?id=21). And this is the software I'd ideally like to upgrade to, but the upgrade path from 4.0 to 5.51 doesn't want to cooperate with me for some reason: (https://support.corehandf.com/coreconnect/content/download.aspx?id=69). If I can get this 5.58 version working, I'll have all the access I need to code up my own software, but I haven't had the most success installing Ubuntu Server 12.04.03 and openbox, and then getting it to work properly (startx does get to the Star Trac logo, but I don't think any of the support services are loaded).

If anyone out there is able to help, or can point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it!

Also, so far as I can tell, the 4.0 OS version runs on Ubuntu 5.0.10. The problem I've run into with modifying this one, is the entirety of the OS runs from RAM that is built into the vmlinuz/vmlinux file. I can get to the contents using binwalk, but can't override the contents in RAM with any thing I've modified, and putting modified files back into the vmlinux file is anything but simple as well.

I'm not an expert, and enjoy as this is my first message ever on this forum 😛

Do you think that your machine have enough hardware to be able to "process" netflix app and resolution ?

1 hour ago, Samy_Tz said:

I'm not an expert, and enjoy as this is my first message ever on this forum 😛

Do you think that your machine have enough hardware to be able to "process" netflix app and resolution ?

Yep, let me post the specs:

Intel Atom D525 - x86/64bit 1.8Ghz DualCore, QuadThread (https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/49490/intel-atom-processor-d525-1m-cache-1-80-ghz.html)

4GB of RAM

1366*768 native resolution touchscreen display

Additional spec context, Netflix requires 1.6Ghz Dual core PC running Ubuntu 12.04. The 5.51/5.58 updates are running on 12.04.03, so it's definitely promising.

(And worse case scenario, I could always throw a laptop mobo in there instead, and maybe a rasberry pi for interfacing with the random IO connectors the native board has)

Boi you really did your homework, I'm sorry for not having enough knowledge to help you, hope you'll finalize it and share with us mate ❤️

18 hours ago, Samy_Tz said:

Boi you really did your homework, I'm sorry for not having enough knowledge to help you, hope you'll finalize it and share with us mate ❤️

Thanks! Yea, I've put a week's work into it, and just taking a hiatus for bit while my brain figures out a new angle of approach.

If anyone wants to take a stab at it, the vmlinuz can be booted in a VM with the following booted with the following grub command:

kernel /vmlinuz ro quiet splash showopts elevator=noop video=vesafb: vga=0x318 console=ttyS0,115200n8

It hangs on "touchscreen display" error, but I bet that can be worked around by blacklisting the module from the grub kernel line...but I haven't taken the time to figure that out yet.