question about the psu tier list

Go to solution Solved by frozensun,
6 minutes ago, wassil said:

hey guys iam about to build my first pc and i have a question about choosing a psu from the tier list, 

should i buy the specific model that is linked in the list or as long it is on the same series 

what i mean lets say ill buy a cooler master mwe, on the list it is on Tier B+ they linked a Cooler Master MWE Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified should i buy this exacte linked psu or can i get the same but in silver or bronze as long it is a cooler master MWE

Screw the tier list,theory and practice are 2 different things,you can like me buy the chepest PSU in lower segment which works for 10 years...and regardless you can buy AXi series or EVGA P3 which will fail in 7 day...the thing is useless,I don't even want to look at it...

getting right PSU is a matter of luck...it can fail in a month or in 10 years no matter which brand...

I have old computer from 2002 I don't even know what PSU it has and that PC still works okay,so the tierlist for me is useless.

hey guys iam about to build my first pc and i have a question about choosing a psu from the tier list, 

should i buy the specific model that is linked in the list or as long it is on the same series 

what i mean lets say ill buy a cooler master mwe, on the list it is on Tier B+ they linked a Cooler Master MWE Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified should i buy this exacte linked psu or can i get the same but in silver or bronze as long it is a cooler master MWE

Just now, wassil said:

The MWE Gold is a Tier B+ unit, the other MWE units (80+ Bronze and 80+ White) are lower tiers (just search for 'MWE' on the tier list page and you should fine four results).

So you could for example get an MWE Gold in 550W, 650W, etc. and it's all Tier B+, but the other MWE models are different.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

6 minutes ago, wassil said:

Screw the tier list,theory and practice are 2 different things,you can like me buy the chepest PSU in lower segment which works for 10 years...and regardless you can buy AXi series or EVGA P3 which will fail in 7 day...the thing is useless,I don't even want to look at it...

getting right PSU is a matter of luck...it can fail in a month or in 10 years no matter which brand...

I have old computer from 2002 I don't even know what PSU it has and that PC still works okay,so the tierlist for me is useless.

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Thanks for understanding.

5 minutes ago, frozensun said:

The list is not all too good ether, there are a lot of grate PSUs ether missing or in the wrong tier. 

And as you stated a good PSU can go boom on day 1. EVGA units were know to do that for a wile.

That being sad there are better/worse PSU's and I would not just go buying the cheapest one

just to add don't get the cheapest power supply you can get though btw as they are more likely to kill your hardware

Please quote or tag  @Ben17 if you want to see a reply.

If I don't reply it's probly because I am in a different time zone or haven't seen your message yet but I will reply when I see it ? 

4 minutes ago, frozensun said:

it's all about probability. the higher in the list, the least chance it will fail. just because you were lucky with your psu, doesn't mean it's recommended. it's like recommending people not to wear seat belts while driving because you haven't died yet.

Just now, boggy77 said:

it's all about probability. the higher in the list, the least chance it will fail. just because you were lucky with your psu, doesn't mean it's recommended. it's like recommending people not to wear seat belts while driving because you haven't died yet.

I agree with what you're saying.

Please quote or tag  @Ben17 if you want to see a reply.

If I don't reply it's probly because I am in a different time zone or haven't seen your message yet but I will reply when I see it ? 

10 minutes ago, frozensun said:

yes iam 100% with you, they got me brainwashed with this tier list everytime i ask about what should i buy, thnks for your honest answer

The tier list is "suggestive", but it does base positions on some factual data like PSU topology, fan type, etc.

But I tend to ignore it because it doesn't take into account all parameters and certainly doesn't take into account PSUs that are a better value in one region versus another (i.e. if you're in Germany, beQuiet is a great value.  If you're in Poland, Silentium is a great value, etc.)

These are the cheapest PSUs from each of the "big brands" that I would ever suggest:

Corsair: The CX Series (non "M"):  LLC w/ DC to DC and rifle bearing fan.  "Bronze" efficiency.  Non-modular.  Black cables.
Thermaltake: Only products that have "Toughpower" in the name.  They're LLC with DC to DC.  Modular. They have black cables.
Cooler Master: MWE V2 (not the "non V2"):  The V2 has LLC with DC to DC.  Both the "White" and "Bronze" versions of the V2 use the same LLC and DC to DC topology.  Either have rifle bearing fans.   They are non-Modular.  It has black wires.
Antec: EAG PRO (I know they're not "budget", but everything below that line is garbage).  LLC with DC to DC.  Rifle bearing fan.  "Gold" efficiency.  Semi-modular.  The new version has all black wires. Don't get stuck with the old version.

These are my "it will do" suggestions.  They all have double forward topologies.  I wouldn't use any of the below, but if you're on a really tight budget, they are options.  Keep in mind, if you use a high end graphics card like an Nvidia 20 series (Turing) or AMD Vega or 5000 series, the main transformer is going to squeal like a pig.  All of the below suggestions DO have DC to DC for the +3.3V and +5V (i.e.:  They are not group regulated).

Corsair:  CX-M.  Not to be confused with the non-M above.  This one is not LLC.  But it does have DC to DC like it's cousin.  "Bronze" efficiency.  Semi-modular.  Black cables.

Corsair:  CV650:  Only the 650W has DC to DC.   The 450W and 550W do not.  "Bronze" efficiency.  Non-modular.  Black cables.

beQuiet: System Power U9 is "ok". I'm actually not a fan of the active clamp platform the Pure Power and Power Zone uses.   U9 has "Bronze" efficiency.  Rifle bearing fan.  Non-modular.  Black cables. 
EVGA: The BQ Series.  "Bronze" efficiency.  Rifle bearing fan.  Semi-modular.  All black cables.
SilverStone: Essential series.  An oldie, but a goody.  "Bronze" efficiency.  Sleeve bearing fan makes this my lowest recommendation as sleeve fans wear out quickly.  Semi-modular.  Black cables.

On the opposite side of the spectrum, you pay more for a PSU and you get features like full modularity, better efficiency (Gold, Platinum, Titanium), which also means the PSU runs cooler, a better fan (like an FDB fan), and in some cases the ability to monitor PSU voltages, temperatures, etc.  Some have quieter fans than others too (zero-RPM fan mode or a better fan motor that makes less "buzzing" noise).

Hope this helps!

2 hours ago, frozensun said:

Screw the tier list,theory and practice are 2 different things,you can like me buy the chepest PSU in lower segment which works for 10 years...and regardless you can buy AXi series or EVGA P3 which will fail in 7 day...

tierlist doesnt consider DOA hardware, as that isnt evaluating the PSU itself. 

what it looks for a criterias like protections, topology and offcourse following spec. 

so to say its useless because DOA hardware exists is kinda silly. 

edit: something working =//= the hardware having a good time. plenty of powersupplies that can affect the lifespan of the hardware you are using, or not shut down in scenarios where the PSU can fail catastrophically, or it is damaging the components its powering. 

2 hours ago, Austinham said:

The list is not all too good ether, there are a lot of grate PSUs ether missing or in the wrong tier. 

im sure they would love if you could suggest units that you find missing. 

or point out units that you see do not fit the tier. the team working on it isnt big, and there are bound to be units that will be missed. 

2 hours ago, wassil said:

yes iam 100% with you, they got me brainwashed with this tier list everytime i ask about what should i buy, thnks for your honest answer

wouldnt discount it just because there exists DOA hardware. as there is a lot to consider when it comes to powersupplies, and the Tierlist does simplify the selection process. 

18 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

But I tend to ignore it because it doesn't take into account all parameters and certainly doesn't take into account PSUs that are a better value in one region versus another

as fun as this sounds, especially now this would be impossible to keep up with for us. unless you'd know a way to filter out the perfect PSU for every region, you're better off grading off pure quality

19 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

but everything below that line is garbage

high current gamer (focus), neo eco gold (focus), neo eco zen (PAD07) don't count then?

21 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

or AMD Vega or 5000 series

out of curiosity, has there been any testing of this yet? I can believe it with 5700/5700xt, but 5500xt/5600xt sounds unlikely to me

2 hours ago, frozensun said:

so the tierlist for me is useless.

so for people that haven't had their logisys exploding in their face the last 4 years make it a great PSU, and doesn't account for the people that did have it explode because the protection didn't trigger? and because one person had a DOA AX1600i, that makes the unit the worst thing ever? that's how this sounds to me

it's not a guarantee, it's a propability as far as we can theorize it

2 hours ago, Austinham said:

EVGA units were know to do that for a wile.

only G3 (850/1000w on tomshardware) and early batch B3 have shown to do this, the others have failed specifications in other ways or simply lack protections that I'd say are important (for example OTP/UVP on their W1 and N1 lines). EVGA sells many different PSUs produced by FSP, Superflower, RSY, Seasonic, HEC amonst others, not every EVGA is equal.

the list is a running project, if there are errors/complaints or anything you'd like to suggest, me and the rest of the team will do our best to improve it, but not everything is possible.

and after all, a project like this is after all a baseline. Do your own research around some things. all we're trying to do is to give you an idea of how good a PSU is by a methodology we're trying to be transparant about and improve over time. We have many things planned for next revision already to issue some misplacements, as well as the usual complaint of a "lack of certain reviewers". this is as of the time of writing the pending changelog, as found in the sheet

Updated methodology

Added Gold color to signify the best units inside a tier

Added Gray color to previously italics marked units (temporary position)

Grayed out previously tier A- and moved to tier A except for :

HP Super GD, TT Grand RGB Gold, Platinum <=850W, Gigabyte XP-M, SS Strider Platinum <=850W - which aren't Enhance 1300GT
XFX =>XTR / TS Gold - which aren't Seasonic G
TT TP Grand Gold RGB Sync, Sharkoon Silentstorm Cool Zero, InWin PB - OTP issues, moved to tier B
SS Revolution SFX - sleeve bearing, moved to tier B+

Added units :

tier A+ - Enermax Platimax 1200,1350W, LEPA MaxPlatinum, Seasonic SSP-RT

tier A - LDLC GT-P / XT-P / QS-FL / QS-FLP / QS+, Seasonic X Gold, XFX XTS (entire range) / XTS2 / XTI / XT Gold, InWin A1 Plus, Xigmatec Hera Gold, iTek Taugus GF, Gamdias Cyclops X1, FSP Hydro PTM Pro, LC Power LC Platinum, Abkoncore CR Platinum, Silverstone SX-G <=500W / SX-PT / Nightjar / Nightjar SFX-L, Seasonic SSP-SFG / SSP-SUG

tier B+ - EVGA PQ / B5 / B3 <2020/2020+, SPC Supremo M1 Gold, Xigmatec Minotaur, Silverstone ST-700MG / Strider Platinum PTS, Antec NE Gold, LEPA G-MA, Enermax Platimax 750-1000W/1500W, Rosewill Lepton, Great Wall / Hunters Titan TF, LEPA G-MA 1600, SilverStone SX-500LG / SX-LTI, Chieftec SFX-GD-C, Sharkoon Silentstorm Gold SFX, LianLi PE, Rosewill Tokamak, Andyson H6, LC Power Arkangel III

tier B - Xilence Perf A+ III X50W, Seasonic S12II Evo / S12D Silver / S12 E+ / HT / G GP / SSP-GT, Andyson M5+ =>550W / BX, Xigmatec Cerberus III =>550W, Chieftec A-90 GDP-C / SLC-C, Sharkoon Silentstorm Icewind, LEPA MaxGold, G-MAS, Raidmax Cobra Gold AE =>850 / AE-B / AE-M, Raidmax Vortex Gold AE-V, Raidmax Vampire GH, Abkoncore Tenergy Bronze, InWin C900, Zalman LX 700W / TX, TT Smart SP-P 750W, Boostboxx Power Boost 600/700W, SS ST-SF-G Gold, TT TP SFX, SS SX-G =>600W, Deepcool DQ Evo, Xigmatec Tauro 700W / Centauro, LC Power Gold Series

tier C - Enermax Platimax 500/600W, Aerocool KCAS M 1000W, Chieftec A-80, Zalman LX <=600W, Aerocool Strike-X =>800W, GP3 Silver

tier D - LDLC EC / BG, Antec VPF 80+ / NX / Neo Eco C X20W / VP Plus / VP-P Plus, Seasonic S12II 80+ / SS-ET / SS-CT / SS-ES / SSP-ST / ECO SS-BT, Gamdias Astrape M1 White, Deepcool DA-M / DN, Xigmatec Cerberus (III) S450, FSP Hydro Bronze / K, Chieftec GPS-A8 / APB-8B / GPA-S8 / ELP-S / GPB-S / GPE-S, CWT GPT-S / GPK-S, Modecom Volcano Bronze, Raidmax Cobra AC-B / Vortex Bronze / White, Zalman LE / LE II, TT Smart SP-P X30W / SP-P 650W, bq! SFX Power / Power 2, FSP 60GHS / 60GHS(85), Aerocool Strike-X <=600W, Enermax MaxPro, TT TR2 80+ White, HP Element Smart EP-S / Simplicity ST HPG-T12S, Xigmatec X-Power / X-Power II, Xigmatec Tauro <=600W, FSP Hyper / M / S / K, LC Power Super Silent / Silent Giant GP3 Bronze, SS SX-LPT

specified :
Xilence Perf A+ with X30W
Seasonic G with RM, S12G with RT
SPC Supremo M1 with Platinum
HP Astro GD with HPA, HP Astro GD-F V2 with HPM, HP Astro GD-F with HPB/HPJ
Abkoncore Tenergy Gold with X50W
SS Strider Platinum with PT
FD ION SFX with SFX-L
Chieftec Photon Gold with GDP-C-RGB
Antec NE-C with Classic, NE-M with Modular

merged Seasonic XP/XP2/XP3 into X Platinum

renamed :
Seasonic FM,FX,PX to Focus Gold, Plus Gold and Plus Platinum
TT TP Gold TPD-M to Gold M
Aerocool KCAS Bronze (tier D) to KCAS (M) Bronze <=800W, KCAS Gold to KCAS G(M)
Powerspec PS-BGM to PS-BF
Chieftec Photon CTG RGB to Photon Bronze CTG-C-RGB
Raidmax RX-AP (RGB) to Thunder V2 RX-AP / RGB RX-AP-R
CM MWE V2 80+ to White
Enermax Platimax Digifanless to just Digifanless
LianLi SFX-L to PE SFX-L

removed tier B+ Deepcool DQ, renamed tier B Deepcool Quanta to DQ

removed Chieftec Power Smart GPU (tier B), Chieftec Photon CTG (tier C)

split :
SS Strider Titanium (tier A/B+) to =>1100W (tier D) and <=800W (tier C)
CM V Gold 2018 (tier A) to =>750W (still tier A) and <=650W (tier B+)
TT Smart M (tier D) to <=650W (tier C) and =>750W (tier B)
SF Leadex III (tier A) to pre and post 2020 (both tier A)
TT TR2 RX Bronze (tier B) to <=750W (tier D) and =>850W (still tier B)
EVGA G(1) / NEX G (tier D) to <=750W (tier C), 1000W (tier B+), 1500W (tier A+)

Moved :

tier A to A+ - Enermax MaxRevo

tier A to B+ - Antec EAW Pro, Segotep all units

tier A to B - TT TPG RGB Plat, SPC Supremo L2 / M2

tier A to D - SS Strider Titanium 1500W (merged)

tier B+ to A - Gamdias Kratos P1 / Astrape P1, Abkoncore Tenergy Gold

tier B+ to B - Antec VPF Bronze / NE II, CM GM

tier B+ to D - TT TR2 RX Bronze

tier B to A - Antec Truepower Classic / Edge, TT TP Gold M 1500W, SS Strider Gold S 1500W

tier B to B+ - LianLi PE

tier B to C - SS Strider Gold Evolution, Chieftec Photon CTG-C-RGB

tier C to B - Aerocool KCAS Bronze 850W / Plus / Gold, EVGA B 700W / BR / BQ, Xigmatec Cerberus =>550W

tier C to D - Vinga VPS Bronze

tier D to B+ - FSP Dagger Pro

tier D to B - XFX Core =>650W / TS Bronze =>650W, FSP Hyper M85+

tier D to C - Zalman GVM <=700W

either way, that was just to give my two cents here, hope it helped a little

9 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

only G3 (850/1000w on tomshardware) and early batch B3 have shown to do this, the others have failed specifications in other ways or simply lack protections that I'd say are important (for example OTP/UVP on their W1 and N1 lines). EVGA sells many different PSUs produced by FSP, Superflower, RSY, Seasonic, HEC amonst others, not every EVGA is equal.

A simple google will show EVGA PSU's have a host of problems, from failing early on to giving reviews a better PSU then what is sold at the retail level. Wile some are good, I myself would not trust any EVGA PSU without first opening it up and making sure the one I got is good. EVGA should just stick to selling GPU's IMO.

5 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

high current gamer (focus), neo eco gold (focus), neo eco zen (PAD07) don't count then?

I thought those were ABOVE the EAG PRO.  The units below the RAG PRO are Neo Eco and VP.

Eco Zen is a bit of an unknown for me.  Andyson can be hit or miss.  Is there a review?

10 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

out of curiosity, has there been any testing of this yet? I can believe it with 5700/5700xt, but 5500xt/5600xt sounds unlikely to me

Any potential for transient spikes is going to cause a double forward transformers to sing.

We all would have more information about all those models failure rates in % then useless PSU tier list.

My Fortron Raider would probably sort the guy who made the tier list into low end segment,and yet it works still after 8 years.

Don't want to mention old PSUs with maybe 350-400W back in year 2000 I think Chiftec was manufacturing those ones,when probably a lot of people didn't even see PSU from 1998-2000 year.

If I want to buy PSU,what I do is check how people are satisfied with it over amazon and newegg and then I choose and buy.

you have like Seasonic PSU Focus and Prime which is grand brand and I know a lot of people had issues with it here in Europe so not selling any more.

And you have like EVGA G2 which is mediocre PSU and my supplier sold 1000 of them without any issues,specially 850 G2 model.

Guy just lost his time making useless PSU tier list.

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Thanks for understanding.

3 minutes ago, frozensun said:

We all would have more information about all those models failure rates in % then useless PSU tier list.

My Fortron Raider would probably sort the guy who made the tier list into low end segment,and yet it works still after 8 years.

Don't want to mention old PSUs with maybe 350-400W back in year 2000 I think Chiftec was manufacturing those ones,when probably a lot of people didn't even see PSU from 1998-2000 year.

If I want to buy PSU,what I do is check how people are satisfied with it over amazon and newegg and then I choose and buy.

you have like Seasonic PSU Focus and Prime which is grand brand and I know a lot of people had issues with it here in Europe so not selling any more.

And you have like EVGA G2 which is mediocre PSU and my supplier sold 1000 of them without any issues,specially 850 G2 model.

im convinced the tier list is just a collection of word barf so they can see their own word barf and probably some sort of superiority complex, it's so thoroughly flawed that its genuinely hilarious

7 minutes ago, frozensun said:

Fail rates are not what make or break a PSU. I don't know where you got the idea that the tier list is for which model will fail sooner lol. Time to failure is not what anybody should be basing PSU choices off because it's god damn luck.

Black Lightning
Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4.7 ghz

Asrock Z77 Extreme4-M
2x8 GB 1600 MHz Crucial Ballistix Sport
MSI R9 290X Lightning
Corsair Crystal 280X Black RGB
240 GB Revodrive 3, 64 GB Sandisk SSD

EVGA Supernova 1200 P2
Noctua NH-C14S

10 minutes ago, frozensun said:

since when was the G2 a mediocre PSU?

last time i checked its a pretty good singlerail, which happens to also be reflected in the tierlist. 

7 minutes ago, lukasprime said:

it's so thoroughly flawed that its genuinely hilarious

for the purpose of dismantling or improving the list, could you explain why the methodoligy is flawed?

as its supposed to be a simplified purchasing "guide", and not the end all and be all of PSU tiering. 

4 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Is there a review?

only a Korean one

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ko&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fquasarzone.co.kr%2Fbbs%2Fboard.php%3Fbo_table%3Dqc_qsz%26wr_id%3D340065

PAD07 is also used in the Silverstone ET700-MG, Xigmatek Minotaur, and one of the EVGA GD 2019's (dualsourced with FSP)

10 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Any potential for transient spikes is going to cause a double forward transformers to sing.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-rx-5500-xt-4gb/4

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-rx_5600_xt/4

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-rx_5700-rx_5700_xt,6216-4.html

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-rx_5700-rx_5700_xt,6216-5.html

this is what it looks like for navi... would this in theory be enough to likely make it sing? I unfortunately have none of them to try it out with my cxm, but that aside.

13 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

I thought those were ABOVE the EAG PRO

eh... hard to say what their exact idea with it was... half of it is the same Seasonic platform anyways

14 minutes ago, Austinham said:

A simple google will show EVGA PSU's have a host of problems, from failing early on to giving reviews a better PSU then what is sold at the retail level. Wile some are good, I myself would not trust any EVGA PSU without first opening it up and making sure the one I got is good. EVGA should just stick to selling GPU's IMO.

that's why EVGA PSUs get through many tests and have succeeded. of course there are DOA and early deaths, but EVGA has been nothing that special in it, and again, not every EVGA is equal and they actually have shown to be able to fix things with for example G5 1000w

17 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

for the purpose of dismantling or improving the list, could you explain why the methodoligy is flawed?

as its supposed to be a simplified purchasing "guide", and not the end all and be all of PSU tiering. 

Unrelated to this, but every time I imply dislike or talk about my irritation with the tier list, someone inevitably jumps down my throat with the force of a thousand John Cenas.

Obviously not everyone associated with this project is that thin skinned, but if you guys don't calm down and (as a group) dial it back a bit there's going to be a point where nobody takes it seriously

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

19 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

Power consumption ≠ transient spikes.

Unless they measure power consumption with an oscilloscope, their findings are useless.

Reference:  https://www.igorslab.de/en/the-battle-of-graphics-card-against-power-supply-power-consumption-and-peak-loads-demystified/

9 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Unless they measure power consumption with an oscilloscope, their findings are useless.

Cybenetics's (Aris) Powenetics system in this case, does that count? (for 5700/xt confirmed, the rest I can't say for sure)

54 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Unrelated to this, but every time I imply dislike or talk about my irritation with the tier list, someone inevitably jumps down my throat with the force of a thousand John Cenas.

Perfectly fine to dislike the list for what it is. 

As its fair to say that a simple tierlist cant describe PSUs. Edit: in a way that a review can.

Tho to say its bad due to the existance of DOA units is kinda silly. 

To say it cant put fourth exeptional singlerail units is a fair critisism. And if people do have such valid critisisms, then the people can see if they can improve on the feedback. 

And yeah, the people commenting on critisism can be a bit overwhealming

Edit: tho the list atm is likely in its best iteration at this point

10 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

Cybenetics's (Aris) Powenetics system in this case, does that count? (for 5700/xt confirmed, the rest I can't say for sure)

Haha.. Missed that part.  I noticed the article wasn't written by Aris so I immediately dismissed it.

So here's the juicy part:

Firing up FurMark reveals dips and spikes over the two auxiliary power connectors that weren’t an issue in Metro. When we drill down into the data, current draw over eight-pin connector is taking >1A dips for one sample and sometimes popping back up in the next 2ms sampling window. The six-pin connector does this to a lesser extent, while the PCIe slot’s +12V rail encounters periodic dips (but no spikes). Cumulatively, we end up with an overall line chart that appears more dramatic. Peak power consumption, however, only gets up to about 202W.

So the spikes are there... they're just not that big.

Won't cause the PSU to shut down, but might make the transformer sing.

Remember:  It's not too much wattage that creates the noise.  It's the spike itself.  So even if the spike was from 2W to 100W within a 2ms window, that could cause the same issue.