Android 11’s public beta to launch with June 3rd live stream

Windows9

Google will announce the first public beta for Android 11 in a live stream at 11AM ET on June 3rd, according to a promotional video spotted by Android Police. The search giant typically debuts Android’s latest public beta in May each year, but the difference in 2020 is that its developer conference, Google I/O, had to be canceled because of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Google is promising that the live stream will have “news, updates, and announcements” on “connectivity, controls, safety, security, productivity, accessibility” and more. From the early developer previews, it appears as though Google is working on improving app permissions in its new version of Android as well as finally adding a screen recording feature.

In addition to its announcements, Google’s live stream will also include a Q&A segment with Android VP Dave Burke and senior director of product management Stephanie Cuthbertson, according to Android Police. That information appears to have come from an Android developer page that has since been taken down, so we’re expecting an official announcement from Google shortly.

And here I am still running Android 6.0. Lets see if there are any new features that are convincing enough for me to upgrade

Please tag me @Windows9 so I can see your reply

Cool. 

I just wish that we see longer term of updates like Apple does. I mean at least Google could easily do so out of everyone for start. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

11 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Cool. 

I just wish that we see longer term of updates like Apple does. I mean at least Google could easily do so out of everyone for start. 

It does feel like Google is reaching breaking point where it can no longer excuse policies that let vendors abandon support after two years or less.  In a just universe, Google would require that all vendors provide at least four years of major feature updates (preferably five), regardless of device, and would have to provide every security update (not just one every 90 days) during that period.

33 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Not going to happen as along as company that made OS =/= company making phone

They all use newer Android versions as a carrot to sell newer phones. The 'lack' of updates is intentional. Not that it actually matters

And Google is fine with this arrangement because 'long term updates' is almost the only reason for anyone to buy a shitty overpriced Pixel

It really sucks though, I'm aware they all want to milk dumb people yearly for expensive phones and not provide updates. As if this changes, it would be better, wouldn't buy a shitty phone. Quite opposite, buying flagship would make more sense.

27 minutes ago, Commodus said:

It does feel like Google is reaching breaking point where it can no longer excuse policies that let vendors abandon support after two years or less.  In a just universe, Google would require that all vendors provide at least four years of major feature updates (preferably five), regardless of device, and would have to provide every security update (not just one every 90 days) during that period.

As for security updates I can see the mandate thing. But really just 2y os updates is horrible at this day and age, where phones are well over $1000+ it's such a joke.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

11 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

As for security updates I can see the mandate thing. But really just 2y os updates is horrible at this day and age, where phones are well over $1000+ it's such a joke.

Precisely.  At least with Apple it feels like the company has your back if you don't feel compelled to buy a $1K phone every two years.

I'd also add that many Android vendors have an almost classist approach to OS updates, where the duration of updates is tied to how much phone you can afford.  Bought the $1,000 phone?  Oh, here's two full years of updates, with lots of security patches!  Bought the $200 phone?  Yeah, be thankful we give you one major update... next time, try not living in a developing country.

I know low-end CPUs can make it tricky to deliver the exact same OS update to everyone, but no one should feel punished with worse support just because they can't afford (or justify) a high-end phone.

11 minutes ago, Commodus said:

Precisely.  At least with Apple it feels like the company has your back if you don't feel compelled to buy a $1K phone every two years.

I'd also add that many Android vendors have an almost classist approach to OS updates, where the duration of updates is tied to how much phone you can afford.  Bought the $1,000 phone?  Oh, here's two full years of updates, with lots of security patches!  Bought the $200 phone?  Yeah, be thankful we give you one major update... next time, try not living in a developing country.

I know low-end CPUs can make it tricky to deliver the exact same OS update to everyone, but no one should feel punished with worse support just because they can't afford (or justify) a high-end phone.

For flagships it should definitely be a thing, really it would be an extra selling point for them. It's not like they become obsolete after OS updates end, but still, feels rather bad how much you payed for it and no need to change it for years. Not sure about Google though, but other OEMs could extend updates to flagships and the cheaper offers, something in line of what we see from Apple, Google, 1+. The very entry cheap phones, whatever.

4 minutes ago, Commodus said:

Look at me for example. I have an iPhone SE (the first iteration), and before that, the 4S for 5+ years. I spent many years with "outdated" phones, and putting aside my need for smol phones, my situation is far from any edge case. Phone retention is a very big deal now, given that feature phones are nearly completely extinct. The latest breaking news techs, wireless charging and multiple powerful cameras, are practically useless and only useful in edge cases, respectively. Hell, even the contactless payment systems (mainly Apple Pay; the Android equivalents are not even worth mentioning ATM) that many people here are religiously promoting, STILL have major drawbacks in practicality and usability.

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

Just now, Doobeedoo said:

For flagships it should definitely be a thing, really it would be an extra selling point for them. It's not like they become obsolete after OS updates end, but still, feels rather bad how much you payed for it and no need to change it for years. Not sure about Google though, but other OEMs could extend updates to flagships and the cheaper offers, something in line of what we see from Apple, Google, 1+. The very entry cheap phones, whatever.

It's those lowest-end phones that need the most help.  A bike courier in Mumbai or a shop clerk in Durban shouldn't be stuck with a phone that's outdated or vulnerable within a year.  They'll have a harder time keeping up if a service requires a newer OS; they'll have fewer recourses if their phone gets compromised.  Even two years of OS updates would go a long way toward making those phones more relevant.

2 hours ago, Commodus said:

It's those lowest-end phones that need the most help.  A bike courier in Mumbai or a shop clerk in Durban shouldn't be stuck with a phone that's outdated or vulnerable within a year.  They'll have a harder time keeping up if a service requires a newer OS; they'll have fewer recourses if their phone gets compromised.  Even two years of OS updates would go a long way toward making those phones more relevant.

Oh for sure, move those to a 2y and higher priced and premium ones on longer. I don't expect every OEM though hopefully someone starts and stands out.