Final choice of power supply good choice? or not ???

TomR19
3 minutes ago, nox_ said:

Component are getting less power hungry, not more. With 550 you won't be nowhere max. Nothing bad will happen, but don't recommend this to others :D It's not needed to get more watts, any mainstream system will be fine with 550 to 600 imho and in the case of upgrading to an uber workstation that costs 10000+ you will certainly have to change the psu and will have the money for it, for normal upgrades 550 to 600 w is plenty imho, provided it's a good unit.

I'm not a pro in this, far from it, just know some bits and pieces and everything I said is an opinion but I think many people would agree with me.

Yes and some would say 650 watt however 550 psu and 650 watt are practically the same price cos I have found a good deal  and a lot of people use a 650 so you don’t have to worry about upgrading the psu and some use 550 psu but it’s down to preference and build needs and also I’ve looked for 600 PSUs and I can’t find any of them on pcpartpicker I can only find 550 or 650 but if you use 650 it will be more efficient than the 550 cos the load will be lower

1 minute ago, Mitzy said:

550 psu but it’s down to preference and build needs

To preference mostly, not build needs, especially in your case.

5 minutes ago, nox_ said:

To preference mostly, not build needs, especially in your case.

Ye but it will be more Effiecient because the load will be lower cos more watts will be available and I have found 2 corsair PSUs a 550 one and 650 one that are practically the same price in the longer run I will save money cos I won’t have to buy another psu for a while 550 has less headroom but still some but it will just be more efficient cos the the load will be lower which means the fans will run quieter for the 650 psu and also I have changed to intel i7 9700k cos I have always used intel and cos I mainly game more than streaming so I would rather have the cores than threads personally atm but I might change when the new amd and intel CPUs and new Nvidia and amd GPUs come out

Just now, Mitzy said:

Ye but it will be more Effiecient because the load will be lower cos more watts will be available and I have found 2 corsair PSUs a 550 one and 650 one that are practically the same price in the longer run I will save money cos I won’t have to buy another psu for a while 550 has less headroom but still some but it will just be more efficient cos the the load will be lower which means the fans will run quieter 

I already wrote my response to this. Not gonna do that again :)

I already wrote my response to this. Not gonna do that again :)

Ye ik and I’m saying my point cos it will be quieter for a 650 psu than 550 which means less load on the psu meaning quieter psu meaning probably better longevity of the psu and I’m letting you have give your advice so I’m allowed to give my advice as much as you 👍😄

10 minutes ago, Mitzy said:

Ye ik and I’m saying my point cos it will be quieter for a 650 psu than 550 which means less load on the psu meaning quieter psu meaning probably better longevity of the psu

Will be quieter but not by a lot.

Edited by nox_

I think it will be cos more watts available the computer either way will use the same amount of watts even with a 550 psu compared to the 650 wattload will be less on the 650 psu so it won’t run as hard meaning more longevity than the 550 cos more watts will be available  which means it will be more efficient and more quiet due to more watts the pc will have access too even though it will use the same watts in the 550 psu compared to the 650 the 650 will have more headroom and won’t need to work as hard so will be a lot quieter and I can recommend what I want ok I can have my opinion and that’s a positive that it will be quieter in my eyes

10 minutes ago, nox_ said:

Won't be quieter with your system, that's for sure.

4 minutes ago, Mitzy said:

I think it will be cos more watts available the computer either way will use the same amount of watts even with a 550 psu compared to the 650 wattload will be less on the 650 psu so it won’t run as hard meaning more longevity than the 550 cos more watts will be available  which means it will be more efficient and more quiet due to more watts the pc will have access too even though it will use the same watts in the 550 psu compared to the 650 the 650 will have more headroom and won’t need to work as hard so will be a lot quieter

Edited my post, asked people who knows these things. Will be quieter but not by a lot.

Edited my post, asked people who knows these things. Will be quieter but not by a lot.

Ah ok it will be safe to go 650 I tell you especially cos I might probs get a gpu upgrade and psu upgrade after 3 years after having built my pc 850 watts would be overkill 😂 I’m not going that far though 650 is slightly above but It’ll be fine with 650 for my needs And I admit some of it is my preference 

3 minutes ago, Mitzy said:

Ah ok it will be safe to go 650 I tell you 850 watts would be overkill I’m not going that far 😂

I never said that it's not safe to use a psu with more watts, I said it's not necessary :)

5 minutes ago, nox_ said:

I never said that it's not safe to use a psu with more watts, I said it's not necessary :)

Yes ik some of it will be beneficial some of it is my preference as I said and btw I’m going to intel I7 9700k I think due to me being a pure gamer and not so much on editing and streaming But could change in future and I go amd I’m just unsure atm in time but will have more of an idea by November 😀 and you said it an over voltage could happen at a lot higher watts than needed but imagine that will be 850w+ Psu 

It doesn't matter. Choosing the rm650x instead of the rm550x won't make the difference in efficiency or noise that you seem to be expecting. You can look up efficiency and noise testing reports for both units on cybenetics if you're curious about which would perform better. 

Trying to argue to buy a 550w instead of a 650w is just pointless nitpicking. 

Save the lecture for when someone thinks it's a good idea to buy a junk 1000w PSU instead of a good 550w PSU because they think"mOre PoWAh!" is better.

Choose whatever you want. Either would be perfectly fine for your system. 

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

2 hours ago, Spotty said:

It doesn't matter. Choosing the rm650x instead of the rm550x won't make the difference in efficiency or noise that you seem to be expecting. You can look up efficiency and noise testing reports for both units on cybenetics if you're curious about which would perform better. 

Save the lecture for when someone thinks it's a good idea to buy a junk 1000w PSU instead of a good 550w PSU because they think"mOre PoWAh!" is better.

The problem is reviewers give mixed messages and sometimes they are biased because they are being paid to promote a product which you cannot blame them for but it's misleading for the consumer.

PS. Have you guys noticed my cool signature?

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 | Motherboard: ASUS Prime X570-P | RAM: 2x8GB DDR4 3600MHz Corsair | GPU: Gigabyte RX 5700 XT GAMING OC | PSU: Corsair TX650M 650W | Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400A Digital Black | Cooler: Wraith Prism RGB | SSD: CORSAIR MP510 500GB + CRUCIAL P1 1TB | HDD: Seagate BarraCuda 6TB | Monitor: MSI Optix AG32CQ CURVED 1440P 144HZ

2 hours ago, Spotty said:

12 minutes ago, TomR19 said:

The problem is reviewers give mixed messages and sometimes they are biased because they are being paid to promote a product which you cannot blame them for but it's misleading for the consumer.

Ah ok I understand and yes it is my choice thank you and I want to go 650 so I won’t have to upgrade a psu for a while 

39 minutes ago, TomR19 said:

If you look at a reputable PSU review, you can largely ignore the conclusion, where they state their opinion. Just directly look at the components used, the voltage regulation, the transient response, the ripple etc, depending on whatever you find relevant. The testing methodology will be very consistent among reputable reviewers, as they will use expensive load testers, made for testing PSUs, and various other fancy and not fancy equipment.

:)