Should I upgrade from a GTX 1660 OC for next gen games?

So lately I was thinking about upgrading from my GTX 1660 OC to an RTX 2070. I currently don't have any problems with today games I get very high fps with no problems however I am troubled about next gen games. Do you think I will even need an upgrade and if so what gpu do you suggest for 1080p gaming next gen games?

GPU: GTX 1660 OC 6GB VRAM

CPU: I5-9400F

RAM: 2X16 DDR4

If you get the performance you want out of your current set up, why would you want to upgrade? 

I would wait until the games you play actually require the hardware and then see what your options are. At that point either the 2070 will have dropped in price, or you may be looking at a 3000 card.

If your question is answered, mark it so.  | It's probably just coil whine, and it is probably just fine |   LTT Movie Club!

Read the docs. If they don't exist, write them. | Professional Thread Derailer

Desktop: i7-8700K, RTX 2080, 16G 3200Mhz, EndeavourOS(host), win10 (VFIO), Fedora(VFIO)

Server: ryzen 9 5900x, GTX 970, 64G 3200Mhz, Unraid.

1 minute ago, Takumidesh said:

If you get the performance you want out of your current set up, why would you want to upgrade? 

I would wait until the games you play actually require the hardware and then see what your options are. At that point either the 2070 will have dropped in price, or you may be looking at a 3000 card.

So let's say I want to play Cyberpunk with my current specs do you think I will be okay?

4 minutes ago, Gregory Kleanthous said:

So let's say I want to play Cyberpunk with my current specs do you think I will be okay?

Considering the game isn't out, we don't know how good or bad the experience will be.

It comes out in September. Which shouldn't be that far off from the next gen of GPUs (3000 series rumored to release in September, too), meaning the price of the 2070 will likely drop at that time (not to mention the newer cards themselves)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I don't see any official system requirements for cyberpunk yet. but I believe a 1660 will be capable at 1080p. It depends on your definition of playable. 1080p 30fps low/mid settings? probably fine. 1440p, 144hz, high settings or a combination of those and you will probably be struggling.

If your question is answered, mark it so.  | It's probably just coil whine, and it is probably just fine |   LTT Movie Club!

Desktop: i7-8700K, RTX 2080, 16G 3200Mhz, EndeavourOS(host), win10 (VFIO), Fedora(VFIO)

Cyberpunk was an example. I just want to keep getting 60 fps with high settings at 1080p that's why I was thinking about upgrading.

Just now, Gregory Kleanthous said:

Cyberpunk was an example. I just want to keep getting 60 fps with high settings at 1080p that's why I was thinking about upgrading.

If it is a 2070 you are after, I would just wait for the 3000 cards to be released and see where the prices go from there. I almost never do single gen jumps, unless the price is really attractive.

No

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

2 minutes ago, Gregory Kleanthous said:

Then I would highly suggest you wait just a few extra months until September. If the rumors about the 3000 series are to be believed, it will be more than just an upgrade that gives a 10% more fps.

Like @Takumidesh said, single gen upgrade is not that good an idea and usually is a waste of money, unless you had a 1070 and upgraded to the 2070 on launch in order to resell your 1070 and recoup a bit of money(but you didn't and now it'd be foolish to do so).
Considering the 3000 series is literally just around the corner... I'd wait since the cost of that 2070 will come down as we approach the release date.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

The problem is that I'm gonna have some serious bottleneck with my current CPU if I buy an rtx 3000 series.. let alone the PSU wattage(I currently have 600 W)

The problem is that I'm gonna have some serious bottleneck with my current CPU if I buy an rtx 3000 series.. let alone the PSU wattage(I currently have 600 W)

We don't know that yet. 

You also don't have to buy a 3000 card, just wait for them to release, everyone with more cash then sense will be dumpin their brand new 2000 series cards tro get a new shiny ampere card, you will probably find some awesome deals, either for a used 2070 or a new one as the demand for turing cards goes down.

1 hour ago, TetraSky said:

3000 series rumored to release in September, too

You would think it would be developed with the 2080ti as the top and not consider 3000 series

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6