Need help with 5.1 surround

Go to solution Solved by josh912,
15 minutes ago, jake9000 said:

If you receiver has a remote, see if you can dig through the menus and specify which speakers should be used. 

I have tried that and have not changed anything from my previous build. I unhooked my old system and hooked my new system up the exact same way. I don't get it! Another thought. If I were to just use an hdmi cable from my video card to my receiver would it transmit the video and audio? I am 99% sure I already know the answer to this but thought I would ask...

I just built a new computer and got a motherboard that had an optical port built into the board. I had my old system hooked up to my a/v receiver and it worked fine. After hooking up my new receiver I can't get 5.1 to work on my a/v receiver. It's only sending a stereo signal. I then hooked up a Xonar GDX and tried the same thing. I can go to the sound settings and configure the system for 5.1 and apply it but it still only sends a stereo signal. I have also updated drivers for the Xonar card. Can anyone help figure out what I'm doing wrong. It's got to be one of those obvious but I have been looking at it for so long I'm getting tunnel vision!

If you receiver has a remote, see if you can dig through the menus and specify which speakers should be used. 

Intel 11700K - Gigabyte 3080 Ti- Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Pro - Sabrent Rocket NVME - Corsair 16GB DDR4

15 minutes ago, jake9000 said:

I have tried that and have not changed anything from my previous build. I unhooked my old system and hooked my new system up the exact same way. I don't get it! Another thought. If I were to just use an hdmi cable from my video card to my receiver would it transmit the video and audio? I am 99% sure I already know the answer to this but thought I would ask...

9 hours ago, josh912 said:

maybe this will explain it better

The types of digital audio signals that can be transferred by a digital optical connection include two-channel stereo PCM, Dolby Digital/Dolby Digital EX, DTS Digital Surround, and DTS ES.

Digital audio signals, such as 5.1/7.1 multi-channel PCM, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Atmos, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS:X, and Auro 3D Audio cannot be transferred via Digital Optical connections. These types of audio signal formats require the use of HDMI connections.