When should you replace an aio?

I'm using a h100i from 2012 roughly. A friend suggested I should look at replacing it but I want to know is there any point? My temps are decent and I'm only running a r5 3600. Do aios have a maximum time period that I should be using them for?

Thanks for your advice 

1 minute ago, Jordie said:

I'm using a h100i from 2012 roughly. A friend suggested I should look at replacing it but I want to know is there any point? My temps are decent and I'm only running a r5 3600. Do aios have a maximum time period that I should be using them for?

Thanks for your advice 

Unless the pump fails or is not able to push as much liquid as quickly as it used to (starting to fail) and you notice that your temperatures are high, there is no need to replace the AIO unless you want an upgrade or something along those lines. If the fans are noisy and/or are failing, you could swap them out with different/better fans of the same size (measured in millimeters) and depending on the radiator of the AIO model.

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

Generally a good time to replace it is when the warranty expires; companies put a lot of testing into failure rates, and you can gather that they'll warranty them for as long as they are good. After that, they start to experience more problems, and they don't want to be replacing those units.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Has that AIO been in use since 2012?

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

2 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Generally a good time to replace it is when the warranty expires; companies put a lot of testing into failure rates, and you can gather that they'll warranty them for as long as they are good. After that, they start to experience more problems, and they don't want to be replacing those units.

This is only for components in more mission critical systems, and for that air-cooling would be far more reliable since less points of possible failure. For the average consumer's computer, unless they need an upgrade, the only component that I would suggest changing out by the warranty expiration would be storage media (ex. HDDs and SSDs). Otherwise, why would you want to replace something that meets your needs and works fine?

@Boomwebsearch 

12 minutes ago, nick name said:

Has that AIO been in use since 2012?

Ye pretty much lol. I didn't use it for about 2 weeks when I got my 3600 as I was waiting got the am4 bracket to be delivered. Other than that I've been using it with 2 sp120 fans since I bought it in 2012. Also to note it's only held in by like 3 screws as they were lost at some point during a house move.

23 minutes ago, Boomwebsearch said:

This is only for components in more mission critical systems, and for that air-cooling would be far more reliable since less points of possible failure. For the average consumer's computer, unless they need an upgrade, the only component that I would suggest changing out by the warranty expiration would be storage media (ex. HDDs and SSDs). Otherwise, why would you want to replace something that meets your needs and works fine?

What are you talking about?

Anyone who has a computer is not going to want it to die due to an AIO failure.

Storage is fine for many, many years after the warranty expires. There's no moving parts, and the cost for a company to replace it is tiny, so they're not as worried about it.

An AIO or PSU failing can destroy an entire system. Storage does not.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

43 minutes ago, Jordie said:

Ye pretty much lol. I didn't use it for about 2 weeks when I got my 3600 as I was waiting got the am4 bracket to be delivered. Other than that I've been using it with 2 sp120 fans since I bought it in 2012. Also to note it's only held in by like 3 screws as they were lost at some point during a house move.

You'd probably see better performance out of a new AIO.  There has to have been some permeation -- that cooler isn't as full of fluid now as when you bought it.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

1 minute ago, nick name said:

You'd probably see better performance out of a new AIO.  There has to have been some permeation -- that cooler isn't as full of fluid now as when you bought it.  

thats what my friend said. ill keep my eye out for any decent cooler deals. Thanks to everybody for their replys =]

The EVGA CLC 280 is still a good deal.  And that new Liquid Freezer II is better at the same price.  

16 minutes ago, nick name said:

The EVGA CLC 280 is still a good deal.  And that new Liquid Freezer II is better at the same price.  

the arctic is only 80 pound in the uk where the evga is showing as 130 on amazon =o That arctic cooler looks really good tho so thanks for the sugestion

5 minutes ago, Jordie said:

the arctic is only 80 pound in the uk where the evga is showing as 130 on amazon =o That arctic cooler looks really good tho so thanks for the sugestion

Definitely grab that Artic then.  How much is the 360 over there?

2 hours ago, dizmo said:

What are you talking about?

Anyone who has a computer is not going to want it to die due to an AIO failure.

Storage is fine for many, many years after the warranty expires. There's no moving parts, and the cost for a company to replace it is tiny, so they're not as worried about it.

An AIO or PSU failing can destroy an entire system. Storage does not.

Hard Disk Drives have moving parts, only SSDs don't contain moving parts (although they can still fail usually being due to the flash controller chips going bad), the user's data is not replaceable unless it was backed up beforehand, some users would rather have every component in their entire system fail at once rather than their drive failing and losing their data. Data recovery services are extremely expensive and your data being recovered is never guaranteed, better to get a new storage drive/s after a few years (especially hard drives) since they slow down over time and if you are working on something that didn't get backed up yet to the cloud or another separate drive, you may lose any un-backed up data on the drive/s. The drives themselves are fairly inexpensive, although the value of your data is likely many times more than that, some drive manufacturers even offer data recovery services within their warranties on drives. The PSU failing could definitely destroy the entire system, good PSUs will have safeguards in place to not destroy your hardware when it fails, although if something fails (especially on the DC side), there isn't much that could be done to prevent potential component/data damage. However, if the AIO pump and/or fans fail, it is not going to destroy your entire system. Your CPU would eventually heat up so much that it would cause a system shutdown, then you know that the pump has likely failed and you need a new AIO. If you CPU gets high on temperature one time to cause a shutdown, and you replace the cooler, there is no damage going to be done to the CPU (only long-term high temps can be an issue). The only way that the AIO could cause any damage to other components was if it were to lead, leaking with modern AIOs are extremely rare, and it would be much more likely that the fan/s and/or pump would fail sooner. 

@Boomwebsearch 

@Boomwebsearch Ok, where to begin...

some users would rather have every component in their entire system fail at once rather than their drive failing and losing their data.

That's a completely illogical stance to take, for numerous reasons:

• It costs significantly more to replace an entire system, than to replace storage.
  • Some people wanting something does not mean that it's the right course to take. Some people want to end social distancing, even though it's proven to work.

better to get a new storage drive/s after a few years

Or, you know, just back up your data properly.

since they slow down over time and if you are working on something that didn't get backed up yet to the cloud or another separate drive, you may lose any un-backed up data on the drive/s.

The problem you listed is as true for new drives as it is for old drives. That doesn't change on age, and regardless of age, the solution to that is the same; proper back ups. Drives don't really slow down that much over time.

). The only way that the AIO could cause any damage to other components was if it were to lead, leaking with modern AIOs are extremely rare, and it would be much more likely that the fan/s and/or pump would fail sooner. 

Yet still a very real possibility, and that increases once you leave the period under warranty.

Hard Disk Drives have moving parts

Annnnnnd what, AIOs don't? If your logic is that you should replace the HDD because it has moving parts, then it most certainly would apply to an AIO.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

5 hours ago, nick name said:

Definitely grab that Artic then.  How much is the 360 over there?

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/arctic-liquid-freezer-ii-360-all-in-one-hydro-cpu-cooler-3x120mm-pwm-fan-aluminium-copper?gclid=Cj0KCQjwtLT1BRD9ARIsAMH3BtUwup7IdzlwchfErUrcrZkeJ2sqJdPG5k-MAiLAocwiXnn5ZxZEqzkaAlNsEALw_wcB 90 pound. I have a 650d dont think this would fit. I kinda want to get s new case anyway so maybe this gives me an excuse 

17 minutes ago, Jordie said:

Do it.  Satisfy that want for a new case.  

6 hours ago, nick name said:

Unfortunately these are becoming impossible to find in stock in the US.  

@Jordie

The liquid inside the AIO, especially the older designed AIOs, will eventually -- but very slowly -- evaporate / dry out of the system.

It evaporates out of the tubing.

That said, this is usually over the course of number of years for it to be a problem.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

1 minute ago, -rascal- said:

@Jordie

The liquid inside the AIO, especially the older designed AIOs, will eventually -- but very slowly -- evaporate / dry out of the system.

That said, this is usually over the course of number of years for it to be a problem.

So I've had this cooler for 8 years almost lol. Time to upgrade? My idle temps do look a bit high tbh, around 45-50 degrees but then in games it only goes to like 55-60c