"No Man Left Behind" A Heart Warming Story.

Original story here : http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?481437-No-Man-Left-Behind

"Twelve years ago I met this guy at work, who shared common interests in PC hardware & PC gaming so we became friends. I introduced him to this PC hardware enthusiast site which had a Gaming forum where a casual gaming group called the Fragging Frogs lived. That was Feb 2002. He joined the forums and the Fragging Frogs and has been a gaming regular ever since.

The member I'm talking about is Tom, aka tlemaste or Kernal_Tom on the "Battlefield" smile.gif

Back then when many of us joined PC Perspective it was actually an AMD focused site called amdmb.com, and it was here that many of us got our love for AMD hardware. For me, I was always impressed with the value/performance AMD offered. Eventually the site changed to pcper.com and became a more generally focused PC enthusiast site. Over the years Tom continued to be dedicated to the AMD brand, while many of our members switched to Intel CPUs - we called that "going over to the dark side" smile.gif

In those days, like most of us, Tom enjoyed upgrading his rig to play the latest games. That's usually easy to do when you are working, but Tom was regrettably forced into an early retirement. Tom will be the first to tell you that being on a fixed and limited income doesn't allow for many of those system upgrades. Tom now has an aging rig that is just so-so at playing modern games like Battlefield 4, and Battlefield 3 before that. I should mention that the Frogs have a history of helping each other out passing around excess hardware when possible - in fact, Tom's current rig contains a video card, RAM, and a hard drive given to him by other Fragging Frogs.

Being one of our more "senior" gamers hasn't stopped Tom from being a very dedicated member of the Frogs and to PC gaming. To this day he still games regularly every week and can always be found on TeamSpeak. Even personal hardship doesn't get in the way of his love for gaming. In 2011 Tom's house was flooded (the 2nd time his house was flooded in just 5 years) although fortunately his gaming rig was spared! While cleanup efforts were underway, Tom needed a place to stay so he and his wife lived with my family for a few weeks. I remember it well - his PC was setup on my kitchen table with a long network cable running to a wall port in the living room smile.gif For those few weeks that's how he attended our gaming nights.

I wanted to share some background info about Tom because I have some exciting news to share. As most of you know we have an offical AMD representative among us, Sam aka Warsam71. Besides his official duties here Sam also has a love of gaming and joins us occasionally to play Battlefield 4. I approached Sam about Tom's situation and he generously offered to help. Help how you may ask ..... ?

In honor of Tom's dedication to gaming, the Fragging Frags and his ongoing devotion to AMD, our friends at AMD have presented Tom with a BRAND NEW custom built all-AMD high-end gaming rig !!!

Check out these impressive specs:

AMD FX-9370 8-core CPU
Corsair H100i liquid cooling system
ASUS RoG Crosshair V Formula Z motherboard
AMD Radeon DDR3-2133 16GB (2 x 8GB) Memory
Diamond Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB GPU
Samsung 250GB 840Pro SSD
Antec High Current Power 750W PSU
Bitfenix Ronin case

After several weeks of planning I was finally able to present the rig to Tom on Friday Feb 14 - making it a Valentine's Day gift from AMD smile.gif It was a complete surprise to Tom. It took several minutes for the shocked look to leave his face.

I'd like to specifically thank Sam for making it all happen and James at AMD for doing such a great job on the build of Tom's rig.

Please join me in congratulating Tom on his new AMD rig and thanking our friends at AMD for making it all happen."

nice story mate

Check out my current projects: Selling site (Click Here)

If($reply == "for me to see"){

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

$action = "Leave me alone!";

}

Really nice of you guys. :D

btw, this is rather Off Topic.

"Probably Because I'm A Dangerous Sociopath With A Long History Of Violence"

Faith in humanity... restored.

To search for ones identity in the sea of knowledge is to know their backbone.

how is this news <.<

Sorry if it's a repost. I looked but there was no mention of it.

9370 with a 7970? really AMD? not even a 290?

Kidding. Nice of you.