What is killing my psu's?

Hopefulfrank
Go to solution Solved by Guest,
32 minutes ago, Hopefulfrank said:

The cx unit is modular but the TX is not.had no idea the TX was that old but I know the previous owner bought it to resale it and it was not used for several years.

The cable I mean is the one that powers the PSU,I think in the case of the TX that the the cable is why it stopped working. Like a phone cord you have to hold just Right to charge.

Ok.  So we have two unrealted things.

You have a REALLY OLD TX that happens to work if you jiggle the power cord.

You have a CX-M that died.  

Just RMA the CX-M (it's in warranty).  There's nothing weird going on here.

My specs are ASRock b450

Ryzen 5 1600

8gb ballistics ram

ASRock rx580 8gb

First psu was a was a Corsair cx650 , second wasmy old tx650. Both now do not work and fail the paperclip test. My ryzen is overclocked and under volted and 580 is stock. I was a few hours into a civ 6 game when it turned off. I don't know what to do bc I need this for my school work. I don't have money to keep replacing parts.

23 minutes ago, LFreeman said:

My guess would be dirty power coming into the PSU

This has happened in two different houses so IDK about that. The first psu was used only in my old house but the TX 650 was used in both.

How old were the PSU's?  Was this recently?

Where are you located?

9 hours ago, Hopefulfrank said:

This has happened in two different houses so IDK about that. The first psu was used only in my old house but the TX 650 was used in both.

@Hopefulfrank trust whatever jonny says this man is a PSU god

18 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

How old were the PSU's?  Was this recently?

Where are you located?

19 hours ago, LFreeman said:

The cx unit was about 8 months old. But the TX I'm not sure because I bought it used and used it from June 2018 to April last year when I let my sister use it until my cx unit broke. The cx broke in a nice suburb of Dallas, while the TX broke out in the country around Dallas.

42 minutes ago, Hopefulfrank said:

The cx unit was about 8 months old. But the TX I'm not sure because I bought it used and used it from June 2018 to April last year when I let my sister use it until my cx unit broke. The cx broke in a nice suburb of Dallas, while the TX broke out in the country around Dallas.

What are the lot codes for the PSUs (first eight digits of the serial number)?

51 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

What are the lot codes for the PSUs (first eight digits of the serial number)?

TX 650 is R0809B82

Cx650m* 19027104

*I forgot to mention the m previously

After pulling the tx650 out to where I could see the bottom I tried to turn it on and it worked. Something wrong with a cable or something?

1 hour ago, Hopefulfrank said:

TX 650 is R0809B82

That's not.... I don't know WHAT that number is.  What version of the TX-M is this?  Like an 80 PLUS White or Bronze?

57 minutes ago, Hopefulfrank said:

After pulling the tx650 out to where I could see the bottom I tried to turn it on and it worked. Something wrong with a cable or something?

What cable?  Either that or the board.

2 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

That's not.... I don't know WHAT that number is.  What version of the TX-M is this?  Like an 80 PLUS White or Bronze?

Not TXM. I believe that's for the old TX series CMPSU-650TX 80+ white. That should be the date code. 9th week 2008?

This one: https://silentpcreview.com/corsair-tx650w-atx12v-power-supply/

tx650n.jpg

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

Not TXM. I believe that's for the old TX series CMPSU-650TX 80+ white. That should be the date code. 9th week 2008?

This one: https://silentpcreview.com/corsair-tx650w-atx12v-power-supply/

tx650n.jpg

WOW!

That's REALLY old. 

That PSU shouldn't still be working.  LOL!

1 hour ago, jonnyGURU said:

WOW!

That's REALLY old. 

That PSU shouldn't still be working.  LOL!

The cx unit is modular but the TX is not.had no idea the TX was that old but I know the previous owner bought it to resale it and it was not used for several years.

The cable I mean is the one that powers the PSU,I think in the case of the TX that the the cable is why it stopped working. Like a phone cord you have to hold just Right to charge.

32 minutes ago, Hopefulfrank said:

Ok.  So we have two unrealted things.

You have a REALLY OLD TX that happens to work if you jiggle the power cord.

You have a CX-M that died.  

Just RMA the CX-M (it's in warranty).  There's nothing weird going on here.