Which switch? Buying a mech keyboard for my partner's birthday.

Ginger Penguin

Hi all,

My partner has been wanting to get a 10-keyless keyboard for a while so I was going to get one for her birthday and thought I'd get a nice-ish mechanical one for her. I was going to get a Cooler Master CK530 (seems good and is within the budget with Australian stores) but I've been wondering about the switch variation to get. They come in Gateron Blue, Brown and Red.

I was initially thinking of the Browns as they apparently have that tactile bump which apparently helps with speed as you learn to press them lighter but not as much as the blues. I've discounted the reds as they may be an improvement over just a regular keyboard but I'm sure one of the other two would suit her better.

The blues apparently do a better job in the areas I mentioned above (I've never had one and I'm finding it difficult to find good descriptions of the differences between the switches that I can understand!) and, well, it's not like I can go into a shop and try them out just at the moment. I'm worried about the fact that they take a bit more force to press as she does have a bit of wrist pain every so often so if there's an option that would be good for that, even a little, that would be preferable.

Also, as she uses it a lot, I don't know if she'd be bothered by the sound of them or not. I did think I could get her the blue set and maybe get some O Rings down the line which should dampen the sound a little and reduce the travel a bit while still providing the other benefits of blues over browns.

Anyway, I probably sound like I don't know what I'm talking about so any education is incredibly welcomed!

Thank you in advance!

3 minutes ago, W.D. Stevens said:

Thank you in advance!

In my experience, keyboard feel and feedback are a very personal choice, TBH, I'd take her down to a local computer store, and let her decide which keyboard she likes the feel of best, and buy that. IT'd suck to buy an expensive one that she doesn't like the feel of

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

My recommendation would be to tell her you're buying her a keyboard (you can wait till later if you want it to be a surprise) but let her pick the switches. I know that's probably not what you wanted to hear, but it's such a subjective decision that we can't give you good advice on any particular switch. Clicky switches make me want to smash the keyboard to pieces, but many people love them.

Alternatively, you could buy her any one of the keyboards within the return window, give it to her, and help her exchange it if she doesn't like them.

Edit: Or, if you don't mind spending a little extra money, you could buy her this along with the promise of a keyboard. That way she could test them out without breaking quarantine.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

18 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

this was a pretty good video I saw on this. blues are quite loud for my taste, I prefer browns.

That's kinda reaffirmed my thinking that the browns are probably the way to go and the reds are right out. I've heard blues in videos not sound too bad but they really sound awful there. I know it really is such a subjective choice. Going down and trying them isn't really an option at the moment what with the global pandemic and all. The switch testers seem like a good idea but I've not been able to find any reasonably priced around here. I might try and ask her opinion but in a way that makes it seem I'm thinking about buying one and see if she has any thoughts.

15 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Alternatively, you could buy her any one of the keyboards within the return window, give it to her, and help her exchange it if she doesn't like them.

Ha, yep. That's what I was thinking. I might actually email the place I'm considering buying them from to check to see if they'd be okay with that.

30 minutes ago, W.D. Stevens said:

Hi all,

My partner has been wanting to get a 10-keyless keyboard for a while so I was going to get one for her birthday and thought I'd get a nice-ish mechanical one for her. I was going to get a Cooler Master CK530 (seems good and is within the budget with Australian stores) but I've been wondering about the switch variation to get. They come in Gateron Blue, Brown and Red.

I was initially thinking of the Browns as they apparently have that tactile bump which apparently helps with speed as you learn to press them lighter but not as much as the blues. I've discounted the reds as they may be an improvement over just a regular keyboard but I'm sure one of the other two would suit her better.

The blues apparently do a better job in the areas I mentioned above (I've never had one and I'm finding it difficult to find good descriptions of the differences between the switches that I can understand!) and, well, it's not like I can go into a shop and try them out just at the moment. I'm worried about the fact that they take a bit more force to press as she does have a bit of wrist pain every so often so if there's an option that would be good for that, even a little, that would be preferable.

Also, as she uses it a lot, I don't know if she'd be bothered by the sound of them or not. I did think I could get her the blue set and maybe get some O Rings down the line which should dampen the sound a little and reduce the travel a bit while still providing the other benefits of blues over browns.

Anyway, I probably sound like I don't know what I'm talking about so any education is incredibly welcomed!

Thank you in advance!

Depends what the use case is and what they prefer. Reds are generally better for gaming, brown and blue for typing. I would avoid the blues though as someone who has to live in the same house, they’re irritating af.

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

4 minutes ago, W.D. Stevens said:

Ha, yep. That's what I was thinking. I might actually email the place I'm considering buying them from to check to see if they'd be okay with that.

If there not, take a look at the link I provided for the test kit.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

3 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

Depends what the use case is and what they prefer. Reds are generally better for gaming, brown and blue for typing. I would avoid the blues though as someone who has to live in the same house, they’re irritating af.

She used to game but doesn't really anymore. It would be primarily for typing which she does a lot of. And, yeah, I've heard people say that about blues. I did see one review of this keyboard in particular that had blue switches and oh, man they seemed loud! And, well, it's a one bedroom flat so bit difficult to get away from if it is really loud!

4 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

If there not, take a look at the link I provided for the test kit.

Yeah, I'll have a look into them. They don't ship to Australia but I'll keep looking to see if I can find a cheaper one locally. Thanks!

keyboards are very personal things everything from color and whatever switch I woud just tell her you want to buy her a keybard then ask her which switch she likes or buy a key switch tester and ask kher which one she likes best

3 hours ago, W.D. Stevens said:

I'm worried about the fact that they take a bit more force to press as she does have a bit of wrist pain every so often so if there's an option that would be good for that

Gateron reds would have the least force of the options you listed. Though if you can find them Gat clears are even lighter, probably one of the lightest switches you can get period. 

The switches (and all that's related with their construction) will affect the sound they produce a lot but also the case shape, material, inside configuration and dampening etc. can affect the sound as well as the keycaps material and thickness ... So even if you get brown switches it will still make some sound and will probably be louder than a membrane keyboard.  My gf have a rosewill keyboard with kailh brown and it's still loud when she types even tho it's silent tactile switches, most of the sound comes from the bottoming out and the upstroke of the keys.  Those are bearable and I don't hear it that much if I'm not in the same room.  If you want something more silent you could always look for some silent designed switches. 

As others said I would go with a switch tester first. 

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD

Buy 400 vintage 1986 cherry mx blacks and cherry pick 90 of them, lube them with krytox 205g0 from Miller Stevenson, spring swap with lsd oil lubed kbdmod 55g springs, filmed with tx pc films.