Is bit defender good?

Hello! I was wondering if someone has any experience with bitdefender, because I was looking for a good AV, and it has good reviews.

I know that common sense is the best AV, but I'd like to have some extra protection just in case I screw up somethin.

Thanks!

5 minutes ago, TwilightLink said:

Hello! I was wondering if someone has any experience with bitdefender, because I was looking for a good AV, and it has good reviews.

I know that common sense is the best AV, but I'd like to have some extra protection just in case I screw up somethin.

Thanks!

Linus done some videos about them a little bit ago, seems like its good. Personally i haven't used them

CPU - I9 10900 | CPU Cooler - Corsair Hydro Series H100x AIO | Motherboard -  Aorus B460 PRO AC | RAM -G.SKILL Ripjaw V series 4x8GB 2666MHZ | Graphics Card - Gigabyte RTX 3070  | Power Supply - Cooler Master 650w  | Storage -  Working on a new Spicy 

Operating System - Windows 10 Pro

For free version, Avast and Kaspersky are better. Both are better and lighter than Windows Defender, so just pick the one that has the features you like the most. Kaspersky doesn't support Opera browsers.

Ryzen 5 2600X / ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4 / G.Skill RIPJAWS V 16GB (2X8) 3000Mhz CL15 / Gigabyte RTX 2060 Super Gaming 8GB OC / Corsair RM650X 2018 / Crucial BX500 240GB / Seagate Barracauda 2TB 7200RPM Cooler Master MasterBox E500L /  ASUS TUF Gaming VG27WQ // Rog Orion / Corsair Harpoon RGB Pro / Cooler Master MasterKeys Lite L / Xbox One Red Sport  Special Edition Controller for Windows

I've been using it for a while now.

I used to have an issue with bitdefender's custom SSL, but they seems to have fixed that since 2018.

You can literally use Bitdefender Total Security, for free, perpetually. Just by making a new trial account every 3 to 6 months or so, depending on how long you got it for. Simply "Switch Account" in the Bitdefender software to the newly made trial account and your trial period is reset... I've seriously been doing this for over 2 years now. You can use throwaway emails too. Just need to remember the email and password you've used to sign up until you've got the software installed and you're good to go after that.

Here's a 90 days trial:

https://www.bitdefender.com/media/html/consumer/new/get-your-90-day-trial-opt/index.html?cid=inf|c|DC|90dt404

It works nicely, to me, never had an issue in the past 2 years with it. I personally set the firewall to "Alert mode", which tells me whenever a new app wants access to the internet (just once, not every single time). I have nothing negative to say about it.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Not to be a bummer but when I used it it deleted 200gb of storage and then my laptop screen would not turn on after that. but then it might not be bitdefender I also recently tried to overclock my display and it did not work. and it started working again after 2 days of troubleshooting.

The free version has some issues with stuff, mainly Firefox and some games/installers. I have used paid version for past 2 years and have no issues with it. The Safe Files and Safe Browsing are sometimes bit too aggressive, but also quick to just turn off to access what I need to do. I use Internet Security version with Black Friday pricing. So its €25/3pc/1y. Instead of €50.

Now, if you look at sites that test these software, BitDefender is not top of the charts all the time. Kaspersky is more consistent, but some here don't trust it because of where the HQ is located (but is actually operated by holding company from UK).

I've used free Avast in past, but the popup spam was too much. Its also tad heavier to run than BitDefender (but not as heavy as Norton or F-Secure).

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Now the popup spam is only at the beginning, right? Avast is lighter than BitDefender and has has a game mode. They've renamed their game mode to "not disturb" mode, it shuts down all notifications and reduces its cpu processes. I've seen many reviews and tests, Avast and Kaspersky offer the best protection on free versions, with Avast having more features being closer to a paid AV.

Ryzen 5 2600X / ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4 / G.Skill RIPJAWS V 16GB (2X8) 3000Mhz CL15 / Gigabyte RTX 2060 Super Gaming 8GB OC / Corsair RM650X 2018 / Crucial BX500 240GB / Seagate Barracauda 2TB 7200RPM Cooler Master MasterBox E500L /  ASUS TUF Gaming VG27WQ // Rog Orion / Corsair Harpoon RGB Pro / Cooler Master MasterKeys Lite L / Xbox One Red Sport  Special Edition Controller for Windows

Thanks for all the answers! (Sorry that it took me a while to respond)

On 4/26/2020 at 12:08 AM, Escapenz said:

Linus done some videos about them a little bit ago, seems like its good. Personally i haven't used them

Yeah, i saw them and got me thinking, so i came to ask about some experiences :P

On 4/26/2020 at 6:37 AM, LogicalDrm said:

BitDefender is not top of the charts all the time. Kaspersky is more consistent

On 4/26/2020 at 10:56 AM, DSD27 said:

Avast and Kaspersky offer the best protection on free versions, with Avast having more features being closer to a paid AV.

So free Avast and Kapersky are better? What about paid? (Avast seems more expensive? I see that bitdefender has 50% off in total security)

6 minutes ago, TwilightLink said:

So free Avast and Kapersky are better? What about paid? (Avast seems more expensive? I see that bitdefender has 50% off in total security)

Just get the trial like I put in my previous post, you literally don't lose anything and you can see if you like it for 3 months before you either buy it or reset your trial period for another 3 months.

Bitdefender is lighter on the system than Avast. Avast is a massive hog, no to mention the annoyance it comes with.

If all you want is an "anti virus", don't even bother with Avast or Kaspersky free. Because Windows Defender does just as well a job.

Only consider getting third party security software, for the added firewall, ransomware protection, etc. (While Windows does have some of that... It's frankly trash compared to paid software like Bitdefender Total Security)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

54 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Because Windows Defender does just as well a job.

I actually use Windows Defender with Malwarebytes free on the side, but i wanted a little extra security because i'm not the only user on my network.

54 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Just get the trial like I put in my previous post, you literally don't lose anything and you can see if you like it for 3 months before you either buy it or reset your trial period for another 3 months.

Will try that then, will it work well with Malwarebytes free?

Edit: Just installed Bitdefender total security but i got 1 month trial.

Edited by TwilightLink
Installed bitdefender

10 hours ago, TwilightLink said:

Edit: Just installed Bitdefender total security but i got 1 month trial.

That's because you didn't register using the link I posted in my previous post. The default trial is 1 month if you just download the trial through the product page.

"Promo trials" are between 3 to 6 months and you need to use the specific links for them when registering, which are easily found on google all the time, too.

You can still register an account with the promo link, get until the part where it ask you to protect your first device (basically downloading bitdefender) and stop there, do not download.
Go in the Bitdefender software, then in "My account" in the left side menu, at the top right you should see "switch account". Use the newly made trial account that is activated.

You don't need malwarebytes free. Heck I'd argue you don't even need that when just using Windows Defender if you're careful on the internet.

Bitdefender can do all that malwarebytes free can do, and more. Since it stops malwares before they even make it to your PC through its firewall and online threat prevention.

7 hours ago, TetraSky said:

That's because you didn't register using the link I posted in my previous post. The default trial is 1 month if you just download the trial through the product page.

"Promo trials" are between 3 to 6 months and you need to use the specific links for them when registering, which are easily found on google all the time, too.

Yeah, my bad, I thought it was the same, didn't know there were special offers 😅

You can still register an account with the promo link, get until the part where it ask you to protect your first device (basically downloading bitdefender) and stop there, do not download.
Go in the Bitdefender software, then in "My account" in the left side menu, at the top right you should see "switch account". Use the newly made trial account that is activated.

I will go and do that then, thanks!

Heck I'd argue you don't even need that when just using Windows Defender if you're careful on the internet.

I'd rather have an extra layer of security, specially when I have to let someone else use my PC for something (and I'm kinda clumsy and tend to miss click stuff).