GPU crash and Replaced thermal paste on my laptop and now it won’t start

I have a ASUS ROG STRIX GL502VY.

i decided to change my thermal paste after my GPU started crashing. My GPU started crashing without overheating or overloading and I have tried to fix it by under clocking and every other option I had but nothing has worked I cannot open anything heavily graphics based or else it just fucks up and I have to restart my computer to do anything again and it started piss me off a lot as I bought this laptop for around £2K... Anyway I replaced the thermal paste and reset everything in terms of inside the computer, put all the screws back in and when I tried to turn on the laptop, it just doesn’t work. PLEASE HELP ME ANYONE 

4 minutes ago, Helpmepleasseeeee said:

I replaced the thermal paste and reset everything in terms of inside the computer, put all the screws back in and when I tried to turn on the laptop, it just doesn’t work. PLEASE HELP ME ANYONE 

Don't worry, the LinusTechTips community is here to help!

What thermal paste did you use (I am going to check the conductivity) and how much of it did you apply?

Did you use an anti-static wrist-band while working on the computer?

Could otherwise simply be a cable that accidentally got unplugged or something along those lines, what do you see when trying to start the computer?

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

35 minutes ago, Boomwebsearch said:

Don't worry, the LinusTechTips community is here to help!

What thermal paste did you use (I am going to check the conductivity) and how much of it did you apply?

Did you use an anti-static wrist-band while working on the computer?

Could otherwise simply be a cable that accidentally got unplugged or something along those lines, what do you see when trying to start the computer?

thank you for replying 

I used grissly thermal paste which is highly rated I’m certain.

also I did not wear a anti static band because I didn’t even know you needed that :/ and lastly I have checked multiple times if I have unplugged anything accidently I’ve literally been starting at the motherboard for so long now wondering what to do 

25 minutes ago, Helpmepleasseeeee said:

thank you for replying 

I used grissly thermal paste which is highly rated I’m certain.

also I did not wear a anti static band because I didn’t even know you needed that :/ and lastly I have checked multiple times if I have unplugged anything accidently I’ve literally been starting at the motherboard for so long now wondering what to do 

Okay, it is a good thermal compound, although it is not non-conductive meaning that if you put too much of it and it got on the motherboard, it could have potentially damaged it. Especially when working on laptops, make sure to wear an anti-static wristband to be safe. 

When the computer is plugged in and you hold the power button down for 15 to 30 seconds, do you see the power LED or anything displayed on the screen?

If there is nothing on the screen, and there is a power LED on, that's not a good sign and unfortunately likely indicates hardware damage. If there is no power LED, test the power adapter with a Multimeter. It would be a lot easier to troubleshoot if it was a desktop system, although you can try testing different components and buy replacement parts for damaged ones.

@Boomwebsearch 

25 minutes ago, Boomwebsearch said:

Okay, it is a good thermal compound, although it is not non-conductive meaning that if you put too much of it and it got on the motherboard, it could have potentially damaged it. Especially when working on laptops, make sure to wear an anti-static wristband to be safe. 

When the computer is plugged in and you hold the power button down for 15 to 30 seconds, do you see the power LED or anything displayed on the screen?

If there is nothing on the screen, and there is a power LED on, that's not a good sign and unfortunately likely indicates hardware damage. If there is no power LED, test the power adapter with a Multimeter. It would be a lot easier to troubleshoot if it was a desktop system, although you can try testing different components and buy replacement parts for damaged ones.

I held the power button for longer than 30 seconds and nothing happened. No screen or LED, I do own a multimeter :( My friend was thinking that I should just buy a new motherboard for my laptop because the GPU is having problems as well. This maybe because of the age of the laptop as I have had it since it came out. I ordered the laptop the second it came out and have been using it ever since. What do you think? 

1 hour ago, Helpmepleasseeeee said:

I held the power button for longer than 30 seconds and nothing happened. No screen or LED, I do own a multimeter :( My friend was thinking that I should just buy a new motherboard for my laptop because the GPU is having problems as well. This maybe because of the age of the laptop as I have had it since it came out. I ordered the laptop the second it came out and have been using it ever since. What do you think? 

Your laptop was first made available on May 23, 2016. It has been approximately 4 years of use if you've been using is since then. Honestly, I don't think that it is a long time for the computer to run, I have an Dell Vostro 200 with a Pentium E2160 and HP Compaq Presario CQ5600 with an Athlon II which are a decade old or even further than a decade old still running well even though I only use them for the occasional print job or a quick internet search for information (with only the hard disks getting changed once or twice which is normal for a system of this age). Have even older laptops that would still work with a new boot drive which I didn't think was worth the investment since those systems are way too old and slow for modern tasks.

Please post pictures of the computer's motherboard and I will try to visually inspect for damaged capacitors or cucruit paths, also since you said that the power LED is not coming on, please try using your multimeter to test the voltage on your power adapter (will link a video showing how to do this). Worst case, you will need to swap the motherboard out, although you can take most of the components over (RAM, boot drive, CPU/GPU if not soldered onto the board, laptop chassis).

@Boomwebsearch