Is now a bad time to upgrade?

Hello, I am here from Canada, where GPU prices are stupid. My question is is it a bad time to upgrade GPUs? Assuming I can get a 5700/5700xt at normal price (sub 500) would a new generation come out soon enough to make it worth it to wait?

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200

1 minute ago, Nickathom said:

Hello, I am here from Canada, where GPU prices are stupid. My question is is it a bad time to upgrade GPUs? Assuming I can get a 5700/5700xt at normal price (sub 500) would a new generation come out soon enough to make it worth it to wait?

What's your monitor resolution/refresh rate?

There are some models of the 5700 on fire sales due to their average or below coolers, that still perform just fine in games.

it's going to be 50+% faster than your 480

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Just now, Streetguru said:

What's your monitor resolution/refresh rate?

There are some models of the 5700 on fire sales due to their average or below coolers, that still perform just fine in games.

it's going to be 50+% faster than your 480

I have a 144hz display. However, i would like to upgrade because in AAA titles, I am no longer able to run at max settings at a playable framerate. If I were to buy the 5700, would a new card from AMD/Nvidia be coming out soon that would lower the prices?

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200

1 minute ago, Nickathom said:

I have a 144hz display. However, i would like to upgrade because in AAA titles, I am no longer able to run at max settings at a playable framerate. If I were to buy the 5700, would a new card from AMD/Nvidia be coming out soon that would lower the prices?

The only new card that's coming is a higher end navi card, and it's very unlikely to lower prices.

Really though "high" settings are going to look just fine though in any game, max is never worth the huge fps drop.

Your CPU is also a bit of a bottleneck for 144hz gaming, but Ryzen 4000 is coming soon anyways.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

The only new card that's coming is a higher end navi card, and it's very unlikely to lower prices.

Really though "high" settings are going to look just fine though in any game, max is never worth the huge fps drop.

Your CPU is also a bit of a bottleneck for 144hz gaming, but Ryzen 4000 is coming soon anyways.

It is a bottleneck, but not enough of a bottleneck to severely lower FPS in competitive games like CSGO, rainbow, etc. I dont mind playing at 60+fps in non competitive games, and I would like a stronger GPU to run newer games at high settings and pathtracing in minecraft (the SEUS mod). 

Also, MSI flaked out and my motherboard (b350 pro vdh) only supports 2nd gen ryzen :( otherwise I would have upgraded to a 3600 at launch. 

Anyways, since there are no competing Nvidia/AMD cards coming out soon, I think I will get this, thank you!

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200

there is talk of a 3000 series RTX cards coming soon here and the possibility of a Navi card from AMD, though with how things are in the market, i'd doubt they would release them any time soon, sadly.

The 5700 series however, been talked about that people just need to find a set of o-rings to tighten the heatsink onto the die, though not too tight as you can crack/chip it. Otherwise the cooling performance isn't too bad, heard that the red-devil is kindof good too.

I would assume that even if they launch a new generation of GPUs (by either brand), availability before the end of the year is unlikely and even then probably only the reference top end models. At the same time and due to high demand, current generation cards will become super expensive.