Why do iphones have so low res display in 2020?

So I was thinking of buying a secondary device and most importantly nothing too expensive. So when I saw the new iPhone SE I was exited for it, youtubers were/are singing praise about it even going as far as to call it "Bold Move". So I look it up and I don't get why the resolution of the display is so low? And no one is complaining about it. It's something like 1334X750. I agree the internals are good, I'd have appreciated 4GB ram but overall it good, just the resolution is so 2012. I've never used any apple device tbh and was thinking of giving it a try but the resolution just put me off. Something I didn't know was the iPhone 11 had the same 720p ish display too and I've never seen anyone in their review mentioning about it. Maybe it's because the screen size is so small the resolution doesn't really affect the picture quality? But that doesn't give apple an excuse to slap a 720p display on $700 phone. Guess I'll wait for Pixel 4A since I am a fan of stock android anyway. Have/do you guys owned/own an iphone? How was/is the experience?

The resolution is plenty for the small screen size. A higher resolution would be wasted performance.

I use an older iPhone 8+ for work, and my personal phone is a Pixel 3a. No problems with using either, but I prefer stock Android. Just find what works for you.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

2 minutes ago, porina said:

The resolution is plenty for the small screen size. A higher resolution would be wasted performance.

I use an older iPhone 8+ for work, and my personal phone is a Pixel 3a. No problems with using either, but I prefer stock Android. Just find what works for you.

I am a stock android guy too! I'll wait for Pixel 4A. kinda miss the old Nexus Series. Thanks for your reply :)

22 minutes ago, NEO_STARK said:

I am a stock android guy too! I'll wait for Pixel 4A. kinda miss the old Nexus Series. Thanks for your reply :)

Yup, I was a Nexus user previously. Had the Nexus 4 and 5X, moved to Xiaomi Mi A1 then back to the 3a. The 3a is a very familiar Nexus-like experience. Given the 3a was launched almost a year ago hopefully the 4a isn't far off.

BTW the reason I have a work iPhone currently is they only offer Samsung Android devices, and I really didn't get along with it previously.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

I’ve always used nexus devices in the past. Got my current job and they offered iPhones. I went with a 8+ and haven’t looked back at android. I honestly don’t miss android at all. I noticed when I was using android all I did was tinker with my phone. With iPhone it works great all the time and I feel no need to tinker with it at all. 

Just upgraded my 8+ to a iPhone 11, doubt I’ll ever go back to android as my Apple experience has been great. 

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

On 4/22/2020 at 3:40 AM, NEO_STARK said:

So I was thinking of buying a secondary device and most importantly nothing too expensive. So when I saw the new iPhone SE I was exited for it, youtubers were/are singing praise about it even going as far as to call it "Bold Move". So I look it up and I don't get why the resolution of the display is so low? And no one is complaining about it. It's something like 1334X750. I agree the internals are good, I'd have appreciated 4GB ram but overall it good, just the resolution is so 2012. I've never used any apple device tbh and was thinking of giving it a try but the resolution just put me off. Something I didn't know was the iPhone 11 had the same 720p ish display too and I've never seen anyone in their review mentioning about it. Maybe it's because the screen size is so small the resolution doesn't really affect the picture quality? But that doesn't give apple an excuse to slap a 720p display on $700 phone. Guess I'll wait for Pixel 4A since I am a fan of stock android anyway. Have/do you guys owned/own an iphone? How was/is the experience?

It's 750p because it's basically the iPhone 8 design updated with modern internals.

It's not that no one is complaining about it, it's that most people know that it's not that much of a problem on a 4.7-inch screen held at a reasonable distance from your face.  It makes more sense on larger phones, but even the 6.1-inch iPhone 11 still looks good at 828p (not 720p as you said).  And besides, there are tradeoffs like getting solid battery life.

Don't get me wrong, it'd be great if the iPhone SE packed a higher-res screen... but it would need a larger battery and might cost more than $399 if it would still sport a cutting-edge CPU.  I do think the Android world is occasionally resolution-obsessed at times, where companies will happily slap a 1080p panel on an entry-level phone that struggles to handle anything more than basic usage.  The SE doesn't have that problem; you know you can throw the most demanding games and video editing apps at it and it won't flinch.  As one site put it, it's rather telling that a $399 iPhone can run rings around a $1,399 Galaxy S20 Ultra.

On 4/22/2020 at 8:40 AM, NEO_STARK said:

They have the resolutions they have for a “retina” screen. You could slap a 50K display on the 11 Pro Max and at the rated distance (around 10-12”) no one would be able to tell. Aside from the power station attached to the 50K display obviously. You see phones with 1440 and 4K displays on android and aside from the near 7” phones like the Ultra they don’t need that res. It’s just something people used ages ago for a bigger number and marketing and now they have to have it because “1080p Bad, me no like seeing pixels when nose touch glass”. 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?