Redeeming Myself after My First SH!TY BUILD

Hey LinusTechForums!

Nice to meet you :)

Back in 2015 ~ 2016 I built this build:

CPU: i5 6400

Motherboard: H110M-DGS (Not quite this one, but very similar)

Ram: 24 Gb 2133 Mhz

GPU: GTX 950 Gigabyte OC, 2GB

Case: InWin 301 Red Tempered Glass Premium Micro-ATX (Not quite this one, very similar but the one I got is discontinued)

Storage: 1TB WD 3.5 HDD, AND NOOO SSD!!!

I spent around 1000$ CAD for this build. To make matters worse, I bent the cpu socket pins! I re-bent them and then it worked (I bent like 20 of them, but when I fixed it, everything worked!). So now four years later, I'm having a hard time running games like Warzone. So, I really fucked up. To redeem myself, I wanted to make a really good build that focused on price to performance. I wasn't too picky, but I feel like I have improved my building skills. Here it is:

Case: Thermaltake V21 Micro ATX Case (Modular! Super nice!) https://www.amazon.ca/-/fr/gp/product/B00PDDMN6S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

RAM:  16GB XPG 3600 Mhz https://www.amazon.ca/-/fr/gp/product/B07YZTJS56/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Storage: 500 Gb WD M.2 SSD,  + my old 1TB HDD https://www.amazon.ca/-/fr/gp/product/B073SBX6TY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

CPU: Ryzen R5 3600

GPU: AMD RX 580 GB

Motherboard: ASRock B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B450M Pro4/index.asp

AIO:  https://www.amazon.ca/-/fr/NZXT-Kraken-Kraken-M22-120mm/dp/B079JF6NDC/ref=sr_1_1?__mk_fr_CA=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&keywords=nzxt+kraken+single+fan&qid=1587442158&sr=8-1

I left the PSU out because I am using the same 650W Power supply for both builds, it's Gold rated and it does the job. The new build costs me ~ 750$ CAD. Talk about saving a lot of money for a waaayyyy better gaming experience right?! The biggest thing will be having an SSD, it will be crazy! By the way, if you're wondering why I did not get a better graphics card it's because I don't really care about graphically intensive games all that much, I play a lot of Supreme Commander and my processor was holding me back so the GPU upgrade was just a luxury.

What do you guys think? :)

Whats your budget? Where do you live? What currency?

My Rig

CPU - Ryzen 5 1600@3.8ghz          GPU - XFX XXX RX580 8g          Cooler - Arctic Freezer 33 eSports edition green          Motherboard - Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3          Ram -  G.Skill 2x8 Ripjaws 5 2666                   Case - Pahntecs P400s TGE Modded with Green accents          PSU - Seasonic M1211 evo 620w          SSD - Samsung 960 evo 500 GB          HDD - Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 2tb       

Fans - 2 be quiet SilentWings 3         OS - Windows 10 Home 64-Bit         Cables - Cable Mod Green Cable Extension

Peripherals

Mouse - Logitech G502          Keyboard - k95 Platinum Brown          Headset - Philips SHP9500s + Vmoda Boom Pro          Monitor - LG 29UM69GB

Webcam - USB webcam for Wii Fitness game xD

5 minutes ago, Vandorlot said:

Whats your budget? Where do you live? What currency?

Sorry, I should say this is all in Canadian. My absolute budget is nothing over 1000$. One thing I forgot to mention in the new build: I got an AIO from NZXT. It's the type with the nice mirror effect, that is included in the 750$ CAD

https://www.amazon.ca/-/fr/NZXT-Kraken-Kraken-M22-120mm/dp/B079JF6NDC/ref=sr_1_1?__mk_fr_CA=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&keywords=nzxt+kraken+single+fan&qid=1587442158&sr=8-1

750 cad = 529.620 USD

just a heads up on the asrock b450m pro4 i have that board and just put in a m2 ssd non nvme and it only works on the lower m2 slot not the one closest to the cpu it gave me some head achs LOL 

1 minute ago, keysbeast13 said:

just a heads up on the asrock b450m pro4 i have that board and just put in a m2 ssd non nvme and it only works on the lower m2 slot not the one closest to the cpu it gave me some head achs LOL 

Thanks for the heads up :) was planning on using the bottom one anyways

Just now, CrunchyShadow said:

Thanks for the heads up :) was planning on using the bottom one anyways

well i had an hp nmve in the upper one then i built up a better tower and just put this one back togather for my son so i just threw it in not even things to check LOL that hour was all my fault and watch where you plug your other drive into seeing as they are shared pcie 

22 minutes ago, CrunchyShadow said:

Sorry, I should say this is all in Canadian. My absolute budget is nothing over 1000$. One thing I forgot to mention in the new build: I got an AIO from NZXT. It's the type with the nice mirror effect, that is included in the 750$ CAD

Ok so you have the cooler. Just to clarify how much Canadaion money can you spend on the rest of the parts.

EDIT: NVM i just saw you posted this.

My Rig

CPU - Ryzen 5 1600@3.8ghz          GPU - XFX XXX RX580 8g          Cooler - Arctic Freezer 33 eSports edition green          Motherboard - Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3          Ram -  G.Skill 2x8 Ripjaws 5 2666                   Case - Pahntecs P400s TGE Modded with Green accents          PSU - Seasonic M1211 evo 620w          SSD - Samsung 960 evo 500 GB          HDD - Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 2tb       

Fans - 2 be quiet SilentWings 3         OS - Windows 10 Home 64-Bit         Cables - Cable Mod Green Cable Extension

Peripherals

Mouse - Logitech G502          Keyboard - k95 Platinum Brown          Headset - Philips SHP9500s + Vmoda Boom Pro          Monitor - LG 29UM69GB

Ok so heres what I think.

Cut the AIO, get the 3600x for the better cooler than the 3600. The stock cooler for ryzen is very good!

Cut the case as you already have one.

Get a cheaper SSD. NVME does make a diffrence in boot times. Linus also made a video about it. Look for one from a reputable maker such as WD.

Now you have 24 gb of compatible ram. I see the apeal in upgrading to 3600 speed and on 3rd gen ryzen it will give a decent boost in performance. However, you can get tremendously more performance by getting a better GPU. With the money you saved doing this you should be able to get a hell of an upgrade to the GPU.  

PSUS are important! Make sure the PSU is safe because when PSUs fail (cheaper ones OFTEN do) they take many parts with them. If your not sure if your PSU is safe, get a better PSU.

Finally, im not sure what monitor you have, but if its 1080p or 60hz you should look into upgrading it soon. All the boosts you get from upgrading the PC won't matter if the monitor isnt good! 

Edit: Sorry for the late response. Was helping other people as well.

My Rig

Peripherals

43 minutes ago, Vandorlot said:

Ok so heres what I think.

Cut the AIO, get the 3600x for the better cooler than the 3600. The stock cooler for ryzen is very good!

Cut the case as you already have one.

Get a cheaper SSD. NVME does make a diffrence in boot times. Linus also made a video about it. Look for one from a reputable maker such as WD.

Now you have 24 gb of compatible ram. I see the apeal in upgrading to 3600 speed and on 3rd gen ryzen it will give a decent boost in performance. However, you can get tremendously more performance by getting a better GPU. With the money you saved doing this you should be able to get a hell of an upgrade to the GPU.  

PSUS are important! Make sure the PSU is safe because when PSUs fail (cheaper ones OFTEN do) they take many parts with them. If your not sure if your PSU is safe, get a better PSU.

Finally, im not sure what monitor you have, but if its 1080p or 60hz you should look into upgrading it soon. All the boosts you get from upgrading the PC won't matter if the monitor isnt good! 

Edit: Sorry for the late response. Was helping other people as well.

Thanks for the information!

I'll take a look into getting a better graphics card, I am selling my old components to a friend for cheap (all he plays is league of legends and cs go) and use that money towards a better GPU I think.

So there's a few things I should note. I'm getting a new case for two reasons:

a) it leaks a lot of sound (i don't have the same case as i used too, i have one that i found laying around. I sold the initial one since it was too big for my room).

b) I'm moving overseas to Japan this fall, so I need a compact case that is easier to transport and more rigid. I can't have anything with glass, so I chose this since it has a plexiglass but it's still solid and cheap. The old case is weak... I don't think I trust it

About my power supply: It's good quality, and it's been adequately cooled in a very chilly Canadian room  ;)

And the AIO, honestly I think I'll keep it just for the flex ;) but for real I heard they are quieter than air coolers, and my pc is so loud I fucking hate it... hopefully it helps!

About the M.2 drive, I might return it for a SATA SSD. But I got it at a really good price, it's only 40$ Canadian more so I might keep it. It's WD. I'll keep it in mind

And yes! My monitor SUCKS. It's 60hz but it's not even display port so I definitely need a 144hz monitor. Preferably 1440p, but I'll have to wait until I have the funds ;)

Thanks for the advice!!!

10 hours ago, CrunchyShadow said:

Thanks for the information!

I'll take a look into getting a better graphics card, I am selling my old components to a friend for cheap (all he plays is league of legends and cs go) and use that money towards a better GPU I think.

So there's a few things I should note. I'm getting a new case for two reasons:

a) it leaks a lot of sound (i don't have the same case as i used too, i have one that i found laying around. I sold the initial one since it was too big for my room).

b) I'm moving overseas to Japan this fall, so I need a compact case that is easier to transport and more rigid. I can't have anything with glass, so I chose this since it has a plexiglass but it's still solid and cheap. The old case is weak... I don't think I trust it

About my power supply: It's good quality, and it's been adequately cooled in a very chilly Canadian room  ;)

And the AIO, honestly I think I'll keep it just for the flex ;) but for real I heard they are quieter than air coolers, and my pc is so loud I fucking hate it... hopefully it helps!

About the M.2 drive, I might return it for a SATA SSD. But I got it at a really good price, it's only 40$ Canadian more so I might keep it. It's WD. I'll keep it in mind

And yes! My monitor SUCKS. It's 60hz but it's not even display port so I definitely need a 144hz monitor. Preferably 1440p, but I'll have to wait until I have the funds ;)

Thanks for the advice!!!

I have made a mistake. Keep the SSD, its good and since you got it for so cheap even better. Good Luck.

My Rig

Peripherals