SLI Causing Immediate System Restart Under GPU Load

ryan9298b2

Ok, so my two EVGA GTX 560Ti 2GB cards have been working just fine in SLI under nVidia's v310.70 drivers. Today, I upgraded to the v310.90 drivers and my system began to restart every time I put the GPUs under load in SLI. When the cards aren't in SLI they run just fine with no problems. I have tried no overclocking, and I rolled the driver back to v310.70, but now the problem persists in v310.70 driver too, and it didn't use to. Here are my system specs:

ASUS Rampage III Extreme

Intel Core-i7 990x Extreme Edition 4GHz @ 1.35v

2x EVGA GTX 560Ti 2GB

24GB Corsair Dominator 1333MHz (6 x 4GB)

Corsair AX1200 1200W Professional Series Gold

Creative X-Fi Titanium Champion Fatal1ty Series

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit

Corsair H100 (Air Penetrator AP121s - Pull)

Corsair 800D

2x Intel 120GB 520 Series in RAID0 (Boot)

2x Seagate 1TB Barracuda in RAID0 (Media Storage)

Corsair Force Series GT 120GB (Steam Drive)

Sony OptiArc Blu-Ray Burner

Sony OptiArc DVD-ROM Drive

Try clean install the driver.

MB :MSI Z77a G45 | Proc: I5 3570K (Stock) | HSF : CM 212X turbo | RAM : Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2X4GB) | VGA : MSI GTX 660 Twin Frozr | PSU : Corsair GS600 | Case : CM Storm Enforcer | Storage :  OCZ Vector 128GB, WD Blue 500GB , Samsung 840 Evo 120GB, WD Blue 1TB

Fully uninstall the current driver that is installed and then install the previous working driver which is 310.70.

I have done so. Anytime I roll back drivers I do a clean install...

What happens if you disable SLI and try one gpu under load?

It runs great with no problems in Unigine Heaven 3.0, WoW Mists of Pandaria, and Crysis 2. Those are the only "games" I have played since this problem started.

Maybe one GPU got damaged? test both in single config

CPU: Intel i7 4790K @4.8GhZ  CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 UD3H  GPU: Asus ROG RX 480 8G OC Memory: 32GB Gskill Ares 2400Mhz  Storage: 2x Crucial M4 512GB SSD (raid0)  / 1TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 750W  Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB (64 bit) Other: NZXT Hue+ LED Controller with 8 LED Strips for desk and PC lighting

what are your temperatures?

and try to use an older back-up from your windows using system restore.

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect. But actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff."

Dont understimate my skillsz, you might look foolish.

The temperatures peak around 85-88C which is well within spec for these cards. Air cooling in an 800D is a pain.

I will try system restore and report back.

The PSU is more than ample but if you have the means check the voltages it outputs through the cables supplying the GPU's. ALso as Dr3nz4r suggested check that each one is ok when under load on their own. It sounds like something is causing the PSU to trip out.

I tried a system restore to when I know it was working and now it doesn't, so this very well may be a hardware problem. I will try different PSU cables, try the cards individually, and check the voltages with a multimeter and report back. Could a bad SLI bridge cause this?

I do notice that under load, the 12v rail drops to 11.65v. I would imagine this is a software glitch, but I will use the Vcheckpoints on the R3E with the multimeter to make sure...